1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014-15 NHL Season Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by dkamberi25, Oct 7, 2014.

1. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

We are on the eve of the 14-15 season so now is about as good a time as any to get this thing going. Should be another good year that for the most part should feature the same teams from last season as your top contenders. Again the west is a stronger conference than the east. In the west you have the three Californian teams, St. Louis, Chicago, Colorado and Minnesota as all having the ability to be 100+ point teams. Outside of those teams Dallas looks to be good this season building off of there success from last season while teams like Arizona (no more Phoenix) and Edmonton looking to break into the top 8. Over in the east the field is much more open. Boston and Pittsburgh are probably the only teams that can crack 100 points, but its tough to trust Pittsburgh with there play the past few postseasons. I really like Montreal and Tampa as the next teams up in the east and teams that should challenge the top dogs. I expect the Rangers to fall off as I don't see enough offense for them to repeat there success from last season. Philadelphia is a interesting team that has a wide window as I can see them challenging the likes of Montreal and Tampa on one extreme or missing the playoffs on the other end. Columbus is another team that is getting love but I still lump them with the likes of Detroit, Toronto, Ottawa and Washington as your teams that will be battling it out for the final few spots.

I really like Colorado this season to take a leap and contend after a breakout season last year but playoff disappointment getting eliminated in the first round. They have the best young forward core in the NHL with Duchene, O'Reilly, Landeskog and MacKinnon. The oldest of that group are Duchene and O'Reilly who were born in 91. They added some nice veteran pieces in Iginla and Briere to go along with Tanguay who they picked up last season to add a good balance to their youth. Varlamov had a breakout year last year as he proved to be one of the top goalies in the game. The one weakness of this team is on defense but I think Varly can mask that and the offense can run up the score.

I expect teams like Chicago, LA and Boston who have been playing deep into the playoffs for the past 5 years now to still be good, but not advance as far as they have in years past. Instead I see teams like Colorado, St. Louis, Minnesota, and San Jose (yes that San Jose) to be your contenders out west, while I like Montreal, Tampa and Philadelphia out east.

Renewed my center ice package, can't wait to get this season underway and looking forward to the first all-star weekend in a few seasons thanks to the lockout and the olympics. The NHL does All Star Weekend right with the selection of the teams to the skills competition and of course the game itself.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yup, this is finally the year I follow from beginning to end. Rooting for Dallas (ducks!).

3. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

They should be a fun team to watch this year. Seguin and Benn are two great talented young forwards that should each average over a point a game. I don't see them rising much higher than there playoff position from last season due to the strength of the conference, but I do expect them back in the playoffs. They are built pretty much like the Avs with the top young talent. They added Spezza this offseason who should have a solid year in Dallas. The biggest difference is Lehtonen v Varlamov. Varly made the jump last season and Kari has the talent, but needs to stay healthy.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I did pick up both Benn and Spezza on my fantasy team. :)

5. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Go Dallas Stars !

Will the Kings repeat ? Blackhawks win the Cup again ? Will the Blues and Sharks not choke in the playoffs? Will the Wild build on their success from last year ? Will the Avs take the next step?

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I can't believe this.

Habs and Hawks!!!

7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Montréal takes the first game of the new season, 4-3 over Toronto!

8. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Montreal and Boston both looked good last night and while chances are slim they would meet in the Eastern Conference Finals since they are from the same division, I can see them matching up again this year as they did last year and the winner making there way to the Cup.

So happy that San Jose rocked the Kings 4-0. Doesn't make up for blowing a 3-0 lead, but must feel good to work the Kings in that fashion. I always seem to pick the Sharks for the Cup before the season starts and while I didn't do it this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they finally make the jump. There is just too much talent on that team.

Looking forward to watching my Avs open there season tonight in Minnesota. I'm hoping for some nice Sharks style revenge on the team that knocked us out of the playoffs.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The only way for me to get into hockey is to be able to follow a team I can watch on TV without having to shell out money for Center Ice. Until Houston gets a team or I move to Denver or Bay Area, I have to be a Stars fan.

10. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

I get the NHL Center Ice preview for free , maybe I need to try it ?

11. Apps

Apps Member

The Sharks can be October champs all they want. We'll take the Stanley Cup, thank you very much. :)

12. jdh008

jdh008 Member

The Blues season should be fun to follow again this year. With the exception of turnover at goalie, with Brian Elliott and Jake Allen being given the keys, this is largely the same core from last season plus Paul Stastny.

Their depth is incredible and they're certainly on the short list of Cup contenders, but it's just tough to see them overcoming all of the other juggernauts in the West.

13. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Quite the humbling experience when you expect to get revenge on the team that knocked you out of the playoffs and open the season with a home and home series and lose 5-0 in Minnesota and again 3-0 home in Denver. Scoring was a issue for the Avs in the preseason and it has carried over to the season. The Avs are starting a 4 game east coast road trip and I hope they can find there goal scoring groove during this stretch.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The Florida Panthers are averaging 8,895 tickets sold/game so far. That's 52% of capacity.

To put that into perspective, the Houston Aeros averaged 7,324 tickets sold/game for minor league hockey in 2011/12.

Tampa Bay, on the other hand, is selling 97% of capacity and averaging 18,688 per game. So it's not just a Sunbelt or Florida thing.

15. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Apparently, the Panthers drew well in the late 90s when they had a good team and made the Cup back in 96. But they have been a bad team for quite some time and that is what many say is the reason for the declining attendance and if the Panthers bounce back the fans would come back.

If it were up to me I would relocate them to Quebec City and bring back the Nordiques.

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Who the hell are the Arizona coyotes?

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Formerly Phoenix. I think they changed the name to represent the state for some deal.

Oh man, Andrew Shaw and Antoine Roussel definitely don't like each other. They had a big scrap last season, but they got together again a couple of weeks ago and they put up an early fight of the year candidate.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mJdTV4qg_Kk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

So..... uh, I hope Winnipeg and Calgary make the playoffs?

And pretty solid win for the Hawks tonight in Anaheim.

19. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

big game tonight.....Calgary/LA.

Calgary holding up their early season success....LA getting dangerously close to missing the playoffs.

20. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

LA looks like they're on a roll right now. 5 in a row.

Would be a nice rematch for the Hawks again in the WCF. Need some revenge.