1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Post] Knicks tiring of Francis' Act?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JoeBarelyCares, Dec 27, 2006.

1. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12272006/sports/knicks/fine_mess_for_francis_knicks_brian_costello.htm

FINE MESS FOR FRANCIS
    $LAPPED BY ISIAH FOR MISSING PRACTICE
    By BRIAN COSTELLO

December 27, 2006 -- Steve Francis spent Christmas Day at a charity function. When he failed to return in time for Knicks practice yesterday, coach Isiah Thomas felt anything but charitable.

The Knicks coach fined Francis after the guard was unable to make it from his Takoma Park, Md., home to Westchester yesterday due to fog at the airports.

"I'm not OK with it," Thomas said, "but we'll fine him and move on from there."

It remains a question whether Francis will play tonight against the Pistons at the Garden - not for disciplinary reasons but for health.

He returned to the lineup Saturday against the 76ers after missing eight games with tendinitis in his right knee. He scored nine points in 16 minutes in Philadelphia, but complained about the knee after the game.

"I'm not sure if Steve will play [tonight]," Thomas said. "I think it was an emergency thing [Saturday night] where I think he tried to help us out."

Francis' agent, Jeff Fried, said his client was scheduled to take a charter flight at 8 a.m. from Dulles International Airport, but Westchester County Airport was closed to private planes until 1 p.m.

"What's right is right," Fried said of the fine. "[Francis] certainly accepts responsibility."

The Steve Francis Foundation sponsored the event in Takoma Park, where Francis grew up. The 29-year-old handed out gifts and coats to needy children.

The Knicks practiced at noon yesterday at their Greenburgh facility, but Francis was absent. The decision to fine him may be an indication that the organization is tiring of Francis' act. Since coming to the Knicks in a February trade with Orlando, Francis has struggled to fit in. He averaged 10.8 points for the Knicks last season, and is averaging 10.9 this year, well below his 18.7 career average.

Even the circumstances surrounding the trade for him last year remain cloaked in controversy. Former coach Larry Brown is believed to have convinced Thomas to make the deal despite the GM's reluctance. Stephon Marbury then said in training camp that Brown wanted Francis as a way to phase him out.

Francis missed three games in November with a sprained left ankle. His knee forced him to the bench on Dec. 9, and he missed the next eight games. He played on Saturday because the Knicks were short-handed because of suspensions.

After the game, though, he said he didn't think the knee would feel right until he rested it for two or three months.

If this is an early sign of Francis' relationship with the Knicks fraying, it would not be the first time he's worn out his welcome.

The then-Vancouver Grizzlies took Francis with the second pick in the 1999 draft. He never played for the team, forcing a trade to the Rockets.

He lasted in Houston until 2004 when Jeff Van Gundy sent him to Orlando as part of the deal for Tracy McGrady. Francis sulked, but then grew to like his new environment. Things changed last season when he slumped and then was suspended by the team in January for refusing to re-enter a game. A month later the Magic shipped him to the Knicks.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Francis misses practice not because of a charity event but because his flight is delayed by freaking fog -- genius Isaiah -- Stevie will fall right in line now.

3. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

Crack the whip, Mr. T. Get Francis in line for being late due to fog. :rolleyes:

Isiah needs a real reason to punish Francis, next time, like the Superbowl, not the weather.

4. dookiester

dookiester Member

time to bring francis home!

5. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

now that's interesting.

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Francis missing a flight and missing practice? Has this ever happened before? How unusual!

:p

Evan

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The title of this thread seems kind of misleading.

9. YallMean

YallMean Member

Sura+Howard+Rafer for Francis.

10. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

The NY Post is kind of misleading.

11. Highwire

Highwire Member

There goes the Knucklehead again..

12. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

They gotta trade Stevie soon, he is dying up there. He was once one of my fav. players and I hate to see him go out like this. I am not saying he would fit in here, but he could start for alot of teams. I'll bet he is traded before the deadline.

13. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

different circumstances. one was for selfish reasons (superbowl) and this was for charitable reasons. he didnt miss a flight or anything - his flight was fogged in. i suppose he could have rented a car, but again, he was trying to do some goodwill for christmas, which i think is commendable.

francis has never reacted well to this kind of stuff, so we shall see what happens.

that being said, im glad hes gone. :p

14. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

we're talking about practice

15. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

McGrady (aka the artist formerly known as T-Mac) straight up for Francis (aka the artist formerly known as Franchise).

I think it would work. :)

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Just waive him already. Rockets need another point guard.

17. superden

superden Contributing Member

There are a lot of things that you should be fined for, but this is not one of them. The Rockets really ruined Stevie when he was traded. I wonder if we can bring him back to glory if he comes back :D

18. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Per Tigermissionone:

"McGrady (aka the artist formerly known as T-Mac) straight up for Francis (aka the artist formerly known as Franchise).

I think it would work. "

Only if we trade Van Gundy for ISIAH--that GM - cerebral contract ninja

19. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Yes, we can, but ONLY if we don't have JVG -- or some JVG-clone -- coaching the Rockets.

SF3's weakness is playing within a conservative system that shuts down his creativity and doesn't allow him to be him; he's basically Marbury's clone, only difference is that he's a better rebounder and Marbury is a better passer (at least AFA his assists are concerned).

He would be a horrible 'fit' within JVG's system of pounding the ball into Yao, and it would affect his game and his shooting/overall attitude.

But honestly, McGrady is damaged goods, if he's even half-way healthy you would have to be on crack to make a trade like that. My post was mostly in jest, but frankly -- if I were the Rockets -- I would be working the phones non-stop to find a taker for McGrady's contract, and honestly outside of NYC I don't think anyone is dumb enough to do it, they're the only ones that can absorb his contract and trade us some of their garbage in return.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What system would SF fit in? IMO, his problems are more about HIM than the teams he plays for. When Rudy coached him and let him be himself, it was to the detriment of the team. If you ask me, SF will never be a top-level player on a very good team unless he changes his attitude and accepts a secondary or tertiary role. Maybe when his skills diminish he will accept the fact he can't do what he thinks he can do.