1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the loss of Sampson going to cost the Rockets in the Play offs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by torocan, Apr 12, 2014.

1. torocan

torocan Member

When Sampson was originally hired as part of the Assistant Coaching 4-some of Sampson, Bickerstaff, Finch and Gunning, it was believed that McHale would be the leader and the Assistant coaches would bring the basketball expertise.

It is commonly believed that Sampson's role was primarily as the brains behind the defense of the Rockets.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/rockets_add_sampson_bickersta_2011_07_14.html

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...evin-mchale-can-he-exceed-expectations-again/

Now Sampson has moved on to UH and with only a few weeks leading up to the play offs, how much is Sampson's departure going to hurt the Rockets?

Is the recent displays of bad defense a result of fatigue? Loss of focus as the play offs approach? Or are we seeing the beginning of the Sampson effect?

Who is preparing the Defense for these games? Who is calling for the adjustments?

How on earth does Corey Brewer of all people allowed to score 51 points in a single game?

And what does this mean for the play offs?

2. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Ever since we lost him our defense has looked horrid, you can't just blame the loss of Bev and Howard because even without them we looked decent until Sampson left

This is the worst time to lose the defense coach.. right before playoffs

I'm officially bummed

that and the fact J.Lin gets burn by every PG in the league in 1 on 1 defense. Lin is great at picking passes in the trenches or double team help but for the love of all rocket basketball he is one of the worst 1 on 1 defenders I've seen done a Rocket jersey in awhile.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I was just about to create this exact thread.

4. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

We are worse than last Year Atm,**** we got lit up by Corey Brewer

We should sign Sefolosha

5. autoprt

autoprt Member

i am happy for coach sampson but anytime a major leader leaves it's going to be an adjustment. he was one of the disciplinarians for the team and i used to love his halftime comments which were always pretty blunt when the rox were playing terrible. i also think the players had a little fear of him because i think they believed he was crazy and would actually probably kick most of their asses for real if he got mad enough.

1 person likes this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

No, it's just an excuse if it does.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

No

Rockets are what they are and Sampson wasn't helping much. We were crap defensively last season when he was HC'ing during McHale's absence and crap this season outside of Beverley/Howard/Asik. Sampson wasn't doing anything.

The defensive woes are due to injury. Harden and Co were poor defenders with Bev and Howard. Now, they're doing the same as they always have... be poor defenders. We'll be back to normal when healthy.

8. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I don't think so. Even when Jeff Van Gundy left, for almost a season, the individual Rockets players were still playing JVG-style defence with Rick Adelman at the helm, so that kind of coaching influence definitely lasts as long as the players remain with the team. There's no way Sampson's teaching will be forgotten so quickly.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I blame it on complacency. These young guys think they locked down HCA and thought that teams out of the hunt were just gonna lay down. There's no more hunger on the court. I think coming home will change that though. Two bad loses in a row will get their attention.

10. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

The one play where Rubio just dribbled down court and went straight past Lin at the top of the key for a lay up made me physically ill. That is inexcusable.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Good thread.

However, the Rockets defensive struggles are not simply a result of Sampson leaving. While Sampson is a very, very good coach, the Rockets issues are a result of missing key pieces and a lack of focus.

The Rockets this season have been overall an above average-to-good defensive team. However, the Rockets defense is extremely dependent on Dwight Howard and Patrick Beverley.

Dwight Howard is the best defensive center in the NBA arguably, and at worst top 3. Patrick Beverley is one of the top 2-3 defensive point guards in the NBA. Losing both of them is crushing.

The last element is effort. The Rockets are young, they do not handle injuries well and they tend to coast. The Rockets have not been focused. I do not really blame McHale or Morey, it is typical for young teams. Can the Rockets defend? They were excellent a week ago against OKC. That tells me it is somewhat effort based.

When the playoffs start the defense will improve... But being the Rockets, they will still turn a 5-6 game series into a 7 game series.

12. GTRockets

GTRockets Member

dude i think you mean omri cassipi

13. Jt29

Jt29 Member

Sampson is a terrible defensive coach. Time to show him the door with mchale too.

14. torocan

torocan Member

Sampson left to become the Head Coach of the University of Houston close to 10 days ago....

15. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Nope, it's always Lin. He's the reason Brewer got 51 as well.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets inability to play with any kind of defensive spirit is to make for a short first round playoff exit.

17. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

One factor is getting back on defense. We're allowing 8.1 more FBPs per game since Howard and Beverley have been out. Total PPG Allowed is up 14.8.
    Teams are scoring off made baskets against us.

18. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Remember how atrocious the Spurs defense was without Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green earlier in the season?

19. Karolik

Karolik Member

Remind me what their record was?

20. torocan

torocan Member

Just a quick numbers break down I whipped up and posted in another thread. Thought it might be helpful to the discussion.

Since Sampson's departure, here are our game outcomes...

April 4 - @OKC 111-107 Win
    38/85 FG, 13/31 3pt, 18/20 FT

April 6 - Denver 130-125 Win (Overtime)
    51/107 FG, 14/31 3pt, 9/13 FT

April 8 - @LAL 145-130 Win (regulation)
    44/95 FG, 14/32 3pt, 28/35 FT

April 9 - @Denver 116-123 Loss
    50/101 FG, 11/28 3pt, 12/14 FT

April 11 - @Minnesota 110-112 Loss
    41/94 FG, 3/12 3pt, 27/40 FT

Analysis of the 5 games since Sampson's Departure...

Total Opponent FG/FGA - 224/481
    Total Opponent FG% - 46.6%
    Total Opponent 3pt/3ptA - 55/134
    Total Opponent 3pt% - 41.0%
    Total Opponent FT/FTA - 94/122
    Total Opponent FT% - 77.05%

Total Opponent eFG% - 52.29%
    Total Opponent TS% - 55.83%

Opponent points per game scored - 119.4

Statistics of our current season to date including those 5 games (too much work to exclude them).

Per teamrankings.com

Opponent FG% - 44.2%
    Opponent 3pt% - 35.2%
    Opponent eFG% - 48.9%
    Opponent TS% - 52.6% (per http://www.sportingcharts.com/nba/stats/team-opponent-true-shooting-percentage/2013/)

Net differential

Opponent FG% - +2.4%
    Opponent 3pt% - +5.8%
    Opponent eFG% - +3.39%
    Opponent TS% - +3.23%

Note that this is a SMALL sample size and easily distorted by single team outcomes. However, it does raise some concerns in terms of the statistics providing evidence to support what I believe I'm seeing on the floor -- ie, a total mess.