1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Child's request to make Wooly Mammoth state fossil of SC blocked by two Creationists-R

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Mar 31, 2014.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

IMHO this should be blocked completely because Satan has been proven to have planted fake fossils multiple times to discredit God and his son.
    _____

Two Christian SC Senators Block Third Grader’s State Fossil Proposal Because Jesus

Sometimes, you begin reading about something and think, “Aww, how cute!” Other times, what should be a touching story of a child’s proposal to make the Woolly Mammoth South Carolina’s official state fossil passing the state House and Senate with overwhelming support, going to the Governor’s desk, and being signed into law becomes something entirely different because of a couple of Christofascists in suits who feel the need to inject God into everything.

This is one of those times. Earlier this year eight-year-old Olivia McConnell wrote her state representatives to suggest that since South Carolina doesn’t currently have a state fossil, it should be given one! Olivia decided that she needed a legitimate reason to suggest this besides liking fossils, so she came up with three:

1. One of the first discoveries of a vertebrae fossil in North America was on an S.C. plantation when slaves dug up wooly mammoth teeth from a swamp in 1725.

2. All but seven states have an official state fossil.

3. “Fossils tell us about our past.”

She sent the letter to Representative Robert Ridgeway(D) and Sen. Kevin Johnson(D), asking them to sponsor a bill officially making the woolly mammoth the official state fossil.

“We can’t just say we need a sate fossil because I like fossils,” the third grader told The State. “That wouldn’t make sense.” She ended the letter “Please work on this for me” before signing, “Your friend, Olivia.”

“Why not? It can’t hurt anything,” Ridgeway said. “But the benefit to this is to the children and young people of South Carolina, letting them realize that they do have a say-so in what happens in South Carolina and, No. 2, it gives them experience and information about the governmental process and legislative process in South Carolina.”

Ridgeway and Johnson both filed bills- H.4482 and S.854-to make the mammoth the official state fossil. The bill would amend the 1976 code on state emblems to include the Columbian Mammoth as the state’s first official fossil.

Whereas, giant mammoths used to roam South Carolina; and Whereas, scientists have identified the fossils of about six hundred and fifty species of vertebrates in South Carolina to date; and

Whereas, it has been recognized that fossilized mammoth teeth were discovered in a swamp in South Carolina in 1725; and

Whereas, this discovery has been credited as the first scientific identification of a North American vertebrate fossil. Now, therefore,

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:

SECTION 1. Article 9, Chapter 1, Title 1 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:

“Section 1-1-712A. The Columbian Mammoth is designated as the official State Fossil of South Carolina.”

SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.

“It makes me feel really good,” she said. “It’s exciting,” Olivia said after hearing that the lawmakers are taking her request seriously.

Unfortunately, many parties have a turd floating in the punch bowl, and this is one of them–two turds, to be exact.

The bill passed the House with overwhelming support but encountered some difficulties when Senator Mike Fair(R-Turd) objected to the bill for “religious reasons.”

Fair, who has compared the President to Osama Bin Laden, helped to block funding for a rape crisis center, called climate change a hoax, and blocked evolution from the state’s science standards, saying “I don’t have a problem with teaching theories. I don’t think it should be taught as fact,” stood up for Biblical representation in the state fossil–after all, what’s science without Jesus?

Bryant proposed an amendment to the bill to include a passage from Genesis explaining the Biblical creation of life–because why not?

“I think it’s a good idea to designate the mammoth as the state fossil, I don’t have a problem with that. I just felt like it’d be a good thing to acknowledge the creator of the fossils,” Bryant told the Daily Beast.

Lt. Gov. Glenn McConnell blocked the proposed amendment because it introduced a new subject. He has since amended the amendment to describe the Columbian Mammoth as “created on the Sixth Day with the beasts of the field.”

In response to the Lt. Governor’s ruling Senator Mike Fair placed an objection to the bill, which has been put on hold until they can take what was a simple thing that would benefit children across South Carolina and make one little girl very happy–and figure out how to please the Creationists.

link

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Doing God's work there in South Carolina. lol

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

No reason the kid should have even expected her letter to be read, let alone her request considered. I don't know that every or any proposals for state symbols, holidays or any other commemorations should be granted if any organ in the legislative process disagrees with it.

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Agreed. Now, can you agree that Mike Fair is wacky?

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

only in America

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

A young constituent of her representatives' districts writes their offices with a suggestion both feel is worthy of a bill that end up...

'...passing the state House and Senate with overwhelming support'

...and you believe the bill should die because of two individuals who don't want it passed due to personal beliefs?

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What a r****d. How does someone that high up not know the difference between a "theory" and a "Scientific Theory"? Holy crap...

Evolution isn't "just a theory". Jesus...

8. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Ofcourse it is stupid that they blocked it.

But the thinig I found most interesting to hear is that states have official state fossils:confused:Why???

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

Wait... Christians don't believe in fossils now?

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

God put them there to decieve mankind in order to put more of us in hell. Apparently god is running out of space in heaven.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Blame the Scientific community for being lazy and using the same word. :)

I mean, who would expect that Scientific Theory is actually > Scientific Law in many ways. That's just so backward and confusing :grin:. At least it was for me when I first heard it some eon ago.

1 person likes this.
  12. bucket

bucket Member

Not to be a jerk, but when it comes to evolution and climate change, the distinction is only confusing to those who willfully and desperately insist on making it so.

13. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

I wondered the same about state fossils. Turns out TX doesn't have a state fossil, but does have a state dinosaur which is kinda cool.

From paleoportal.org:

Texas does not have a state fossil, but it does have a state dinosaur, as well as a fossil for its state stone (petrified palm wood). Pleurocoelus was a large herbivorous sauropod dinosaur that lived during the Early Cretaceous (~ 140-110 million years ago).

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It doesn't seem very Texas to pick a dino to represent it when that dino doesn't eat meat. I think we need a do-over.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Or that they even have votes on this crap. Just another waste of time if you ask me.

16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

What if...she were a dying child?

17. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Wait they also have a state stone:confused::confused:

I did some research about these state objects. there are actually 43 different state symbols (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_U.S._state_insignia).
    And because 43 is not enough you do not only have state animal but there are subcategories:
    state amphibians
    state birds
    state crustaceans
    state fish
    state insects
    state butterflies
    state mammals
    state bats
    state dog breeds
    state horse breeds
    state reptiles

And to make it worse Texas has 3 state mammals.
    Wow just wow

Luckily texas state cooking implement is the Dutch oven http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_oven

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is the picture of Pleurocoelus that was submitted to the State Leg prior to approval:

[​IMG]

19. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

God has a way of humbling arrogant people that think they are too smart for His teachings. Attempting to apply worldly knowledge to judge for yourself whether or not God's teachings are credible is truly a fool's errand.

20. g1184

g1184 Member

i'm not challenging your statement, but could you please explain how it applies to the little girl?