1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Minnesota State Rep. posts racist tweet.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sew, Mar 10, 2014.

1. sew

sew Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Let's be honest, 70% of teams in NBA could fold tomorrow + nobody would notice a difference w/ possible exception of increase in streetcrime</p>&mdash; Rep. Pat Garofalo (@PatGarofalo) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatGarofalo/statuses/442805513697628160">March 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wonder how the T-wolves feel about this.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

What point is he even trying to make here? I'll ignore the racist aspect of his moronic tweet, and just go off the premise that nobody would care if 70% of NBA teams folded. Isn't that the nature of all professional sports? There are a few good teams that most fans gravitate towards since most people only follow sports on the surface? It's astounding that there are so many truly stupid people representing this country as politicians.

3. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

it is racist...but its also true lol

4. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Oh yeah, it's stupid crap like this that reminds me why you were once on ignore. You don't really add anything useful to the discussion.

1 person likes this.
  5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Yeah, I am sure that Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons and Dwight Howard would become street criminals if the NBA thing didn't work out.

Francisco Garcia, though... Hmm... Probably not. Cisco is more of an organized crime type than a street crime guy. Cisco would be the boss like Tony Soprano or Kaiser Soze and not some petty criminal.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>To those NBA players and others who are unfairly categorized by my comments, please accept my apologies. <a href="http://t.co/xiGaEc47Qo">http://t.co/xiGaEc47Qo</a></p>&mdash; Rep. Pat Garofalo (@PatGarofalo) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatGarofalo/statuses/443067758306017280">March 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

“In the last 24 hours, I’ve had the opportunity to re-learn one of life’s lessons: whenever any of us are offering opinions, it is best to refer to people as individuals as opposed to groups. Last night, I publicly commented on the NBA and I sincerely apologize to those who I unfairly categorized. The NBA has many examples of players and owners who are role models for our communities and for our country. Those individuals did not deserve that criticism and I apologize. In addition, it’s been brought to my attention that I was mistaken and the NBA policy on drug enforcement is stronger than I previously believed. Again, I offer my sincere apologies for my comments,” stated Rep. Garofalo.

7. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

umm wat? youre telling me if fools like artest, jr smith, stephen jackson, etc. wouldnt be in prison somewhere if it werent for the nba? lol ok

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't think anyone is mad. I don't think anyone was going to lose any sleep if he didn't apologize. It's that he looks stupid. That's it. He looks stupid. He should apologize to himself for making himself look stupid.

1 person likes this.
  9. Mr. Space City

nba players are arrested at a lower rate than the average arrest rates in the country.

there is not logic or credible stats to prove that the crime rate so this is a misguided and ignorant tweet by someone with a clear racial bias.

the irony there are more crooks in his profession than in the nba,

1 person likes this.
  10. DunKingDanny

DunKingDanny Contributing Member

THIS!

He made himself look stupid..He realized it and is now apologizing..And by doing so it shows that he realized he did something stupid which makes him look even more stupid :confused: lol

11. Philip_Pines

Philip_Pines Member

"Don't apologize to me, apologize to you....."
    - Blake Griffin, Griffin Force, KIA Commercial

12. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

What about Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, LBJ, James Harden, Dwayne Wade, KD, Dwight Howard, Lemarcus Aldridge, Damian Lillard, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Steph Curry, Clay Thompson????

Idiot are we

13. Mr. Space City

good thing we don't criminals like this roaming the streets :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

14. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

obviously not every single player is gonna be a criminal I never stated that, but for a good amount the NBA saved their lives.

15. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

He said something stupid.

He became aware of it.

He apologized for it.

The rest of you can just back the F off....(well, unless of course you're without mistakes then carry the F on)

16. clos4life

clos4life Member

It's not that he said something stupid. Everybody says stupid stuff. The problem lies that what he said you must at the root of your core be racist to even think about saying it aloud.

Basically, it's not an I'm dumb comment. It's and I'm racist comment. You don't say stuff like that unless deep inside you've been thinking it. And that's why people won't let it go no matter how much he apologizes.

It's a character issue, not an misinformed or plain idiocy issue. Ask how Mel Gibson and Michael Richards are doing nowadays that everybody saw their true colors.

17. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

So, a good amount of people who work their entire life in pursuit of a career and fall short... die?

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

LOL...no

If it were an average dude, sure. But this dude is a politician and he's supposed to be representing people of many backgrounds without bigotry and prejudice.

An apology doesn't make his underlying belief go away.

19. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This post is spot on. This dude is both racist AND stupid.

20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

He said something racist.

He became aware of it.

He apologized for it.

He probably is still racist.