1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you tip these workers?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by aeroman10, Apr 16, 2014.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Not at all. That's totally different. A live music group is getting a fee from the club/bar/restaurant and it's not a huge number usually. The venue *assuming not a concert* isn't charging customers for it, they are using it as a way to get customers in the door.

If the band does a bang up job, I've got no problem throwing a tip. I've tipped piano players multiple times.

2. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Should we start tipping at fast food drive thru also?!

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

btw

Why is tipping a police officer against the law?

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I've probably said this in other tip threads before, but I object to tips in situations where the service is what you're paying for. It makes some sense at the restaurant because you pay for the food and tip for the service (a system undergirded by the fact that the waiter is paid wages under the minimum wage). When I hire an exterminator, spray tanner, or tow truck driver, I'm buying their service and a tip is redundant -- it basically says 'you don't charge enough,' though all it really is a hidden, excessive cost.

The cable guy is a gray area because the service I'm buying there is the data coming over the cable, with the installation being only a means to an end (much like the waiter). I'm still not inclined to tip because those cable companies are making enough money as it is and they should be paying their installers adequately -- it shouldn't be on me to make their jobs worth doing.

In general, all tipping should be abolished and businesses should compensate their employees properly without the customer pitching in. It's an inefficiency in the marketplace and isn't even really much of an incentive to do good work either.

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I tipped an installer 4-5 years ago while having DISH put in. The guy spent over FOUR HOURS in my three bedroom one story house installing only four boxes. That would normally be a bad thing, but this guy did some A1 quality work. He re-ran all new coxial. In two rooms he relocated and installed new outlets and capped the old ones.

He also ran outlets to my kitchen, and 2nd living room. These weren't hot because I didn't have TVs in those rooms. But he showed me where I could later connect them in the attic. Even offered to run one to my bathroom, but I declined. He gave me his personal card (he was a contractor) and told me to call him directly if I ever have any issues that aren't related to the boxes directly. I gave him a $40 tip. DISH didn't charge anything for the install. I just wasn't familiar with that type of service from a TV provider after coming from Comcast.

Two years later I switched to DirecTV, and thier installer was able to knock it out in 30-45 minutes. All he had to do was set the satalite, run fresh coax from the sat to the splitter, swap a few connections at the splitter, then connect the DVR and the three client boxes. He said that it was the easiest install he'd ever done. No doubt that it was because of the work done by the DISH installer two years earlier.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

What about movers?

We ordered our movers a couple of large pizzas because moving my piano upstairs was pretty brutal for them and they never complained. We also gave them $10 each when they left.

We wouldn't have done either if they weren't such nice guys.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  7. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Black?

Jontro likes this.
  8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Similar to rocketsjudoka, I always offer water, soda, sandwich, snack, etc. if it is a job that takes some time (plumber, cable guy, roofer, etc.).

I do the same for the door-to-door religious folks or salespeople because they get a lot of abuse for just doing their job. I let them know up front that I'm not interested in what they have to peddle but offering refreshment is not too much of an imposition.

9. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i think a lot of people appreciate this gesture more than a straight up tip. Especially if the tip doesn't feel like it was enough considering the hard work that was put forth. i know when i help friends move i feel better having a few beers and pizza with them than if they were to give me $50.

10. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

It would make the most sense if the cultural norm was that anyone in service professions could be given a tip at any time (or none at all). Tipping as it is in its respective professions is archaic and a method for employers to get around taxes + avoid transparent wages.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

waiters, bartenders etc... Those guys typically make less than minimum wage and depend on tips to servive. Road workers? Cable Guys? Hell no.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Here's my feelings, reposted from the "Tipping at Luby's thread:
    Then here's somebody's response:
    Doesn't surprise me that this article comes from New York. Apparently on the East coast, you have to give someone money for being nice. There's no good will or helping another just to help there.

I paid to receive those services. That's all the money they get from me. I will be hospitable and offer help or refreshments.

13. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

I guess "greasing the palm" has to start somewhere.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What I was coming back to say. This sort of rampant tipping is a hop, skip, and jump away from the third world reality of having to pay bribes everywhere to get any service at all.

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Agreed. :eek:

No longer an issue in Colorado? :grin:

16. Hmm

Hmm Member

Passing off an unwanted fruit cake doesn't count as a Christmas bonus, Heyp... honestly...

17. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Whatever happened to just leaving a hat or an open instrument case on the floor?

18. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Make sure you tip Dwight Howard next time you see him perform.

19. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

bump

I have a couple of guys working on the ac unit. Not a full install/replace... just making sure it's working properly and info on a ductless split for one room. They'll be in and outside for an hour.

Yes or no tip? If yes, how much for each?

20. Buck Turgidson

No tip. They'd probably look at you funny if you tried.

*Although* I've had skilled guys like that go above and beyond what they were required to do, off-invoice type stuff and especially if it was an emergency or on a weekend/holiday, and I've handed them a 20 and said "go get a pack of beer on me".

Jontro and OmegaSupreme like this.