1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Christie traffic scandal: An end to presidential plans?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Jan 8, 2014.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Seems legit.

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Walls closing in.

Port Authority Chairman Samson quits in Bridgegate fallout

Port Authority Chairman David Samson — who notoriously brushed off the George Washington Bridge lane closings as a mere “inconvenience” — resigned on Friday, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie announced.

The chairman’s resignation is “effective immediately,” and has nothing to do with Bridgegate, Christie insisted.

3. adoo

adoo Member

to the extent that none of the key players (Samson, Wildstein, Kelley, Septien, et al) were interviewed, it represents Christie's response

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Former Christie Ally Admits BridgeGate Was Revenge Plot Against Mayor

A former ally of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) admitted Friday that he directed lane closures on the George Washington Bridge to punish a local politician for refusing to endorse the governor's 2013 re-election bid.

David Wildstein, a former Port Authority of New York and New Jersey executive appointed by Christie, pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Newark to two conspiracy counts, according to USA Today.

The former Port Authority official also admitted that the lane closures, which snarled traffic for days around the town of Fort Lee, New Jersey, were a plot to exact revenge against Fort Lee Mayor Mark Sokolich, according to the Associated Press.

The New York Times reported that Christie's former chief of staff, Bridget Anne Kelly, and another of the governor's appointees at the Port Authority, Bill Baroni, also are expected to be indicted Friday.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Who knew?!?!

[​IMG]

Sigh.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Lol, I had done a double-take too when I saw the headline this morning.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]

Rocket River

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Another victory for the liberal media conspiracy.

#dealwithit

9. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Little surprised that Wildstein flipped. Definitely looking forward to discovering what he spilled to reach his plea agreement.

10. SamFisher

Everything. They busted them with their emails. Very damnig. They mayor of ft lee begging and ambulances getting stuck and them laughing at him.

They will all serve some jail time.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/05/0...ls-plotting-in-new-jersey-bridge-scandal.html

As I said way back when - the question isn't what this means to his futile presidential campaign, it's whether he serves out his term or resigns.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

With Sam on this one. Christie is done as a presidential candidate and now he has to hope he doesn't end up in jail.

I read that Wildstein has agreed to implicate Christie as giving direct approval for the plan. He's doneso, and if it is true I hope he goes to prison.

12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

threat? lol

dude is not even a threat to valentines day. Already out and before carson.mang. anyone from nj/and that part of world is a total jokeshop if they are a cowboys fan. that was enough of a red flag for me.

oopsie -http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/10/politics/chris-christie-2016-election/index.html

"CNN- New Jersey gov Chris Christie has suspended his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination after a disappointing finish in New Hampshire, a source close to the campaign said Wednesday.

Christie made the announcement on a call with his campaign. He staked his hopes on New Hampshire, but finished sixth on Tuesday night with just 7% of the vote."

ouch.

didnt charles manson get more than 7% one time? waiit I mean that repug ted bundy..no I mean gacy and sussudio

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Believe it or not, I think voters have a hard time identifying with him, or trusting him because he's borderline obese. Looks and charisma probably play a bigger role than substance when it comes down to it. Your average voter latches on to certain characteristics and justifies it with one or two stances such as abortion, gay marriage, etc..

I know Taft was a big guy, but how many presidents in the past century have been fat guys?

Ottomaton likes this.
  14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

this one is a bit funny after the bridge deal and a nice look inside on corruption under this guy. nobody is trusting squat after that, fat or not.

on side note it is interesting that in todays 2016society certain ways of looking are more discriminated against than others. some groups get all the shi**t even to this day and we are all cool with it.

I clown someone for being black? or asian? not cool right? clowning fat people is cool according to todays society. its certain select groups. another example - I clown a midget / dwarf or whatever they are called, and its all good too in todays society.

Im not a midget nor know any midgets personally but they get clowned on the most and I dont think its cool. in fact they probably get jobs at higher ratio than normal people AS clowns. smh

15. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Nah, it's cuz he's from Jersey. If the Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, Real Housewives of NJ. Jersey Shore and Mob Wives have taught us anything it's never to trust anyone from Jersey.

16. Buck Turgidson

I don't know what else to say...this, this is ****ing awesome.

17. SamFisher

KingCheetah and Junkyard_Dog like this.
  18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. Taft never went on TV.

If Christie doesn't do hard jail time, in 4 or 8 years this will be something he could get past. He can obfuscate and befuddle. Look at some of the past stuff that has rolled off of Clinton and Trump in this election cycle. The electorate these days has a penchant for disbelieving facts that are all but proven true. Once the Democrats start talking about it, the Republicans will right it off as a conspiracy to slander him... and they'll believe it.

But in the era of TV, being that large is a coffin nail for a presidential run. You would have to be "Bill Clinton" charismatic to be that fat and get the nomination, and he's not. Google "sweaty Nixon" if you really believe that the superficial stuff doesn't matter.

And before Christie fans jump all over me, I'm not saying that I like this one bit. I would be in favor of a presidential campaign where the candidates never were seen talking by the public, if I though it were remotely possible.

Edit:

I just watched Nixon's "Checkers" speech, where he admitted during the campaign having taken $18k illegally, told everybody that it was illegal, and morally indefensible, and still won he Vice Presidency. I'm blown away by how conversational and direct the speech is. He even manages to make himself sound sympathetic.

If that happened today, the politician would obfuscate for 20 minutes, and then start attacking someone or something else to give the rabid electorate something else to focus their rage on.

Also, I've got to say that Trump really dodged a bullet by backing away from Christie for VP at the last minute. If Christie were the candidate, everybody would have moved on from Hillary's email the moment the convictions happened.

#219 Ottomaton, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Oh, I was so young, so naive then! *cries into keyboard*