1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Impact of a High Fiber Diet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hotballa, Sep 22, 2014.

Tags:
  1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

So recently I've had to make some changes to my diet because of high blood sugar level. Not diabetic thankfully, but definitely down the wrong path unless I lose weight and stop eating so much sweets. I've moved away from white rice to multigrains, switched to high fiber snacks, and moved to lean meats and extra vegetables.

I'm concentrating on high fiber also because it's helping me to lose weight without the hunger feeling. So far I've dropped 7 pounds in a week and feel more energy than before. On the downside, my poops produce smells that would wake the dead.

I've also incorporated natural sesame and ground cinnamon into my diet. Also said goodbye to juices and sodas. Anyone have any easy to follow tips on other subtle changes I can make to my diet?

P.S. every guy over 30 needs to get their blood sugar checked regularly. Even if you think you are eating healthy, the way foods get processed today, you just never know.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Bane has some helpful advice.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IkMPZ7WeDck" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

How's your poop?

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

There are a lot gimmicks to losing weight that practically guarantee you will put it all back on. There are some "absolutes" people claim are essential to losing weight long term that are mostly hot air.

IMO, one big exception is increasing consumption of fiber. Without increasing fiber, I don't see how people can lose weight and also keep it off. I do it by eating a lot of vegetables and mixing in grains.

My suggestion is you make gradual changes over a long period instead of radically altering your diet at once. You won't be losing a large amount at the beginning (like most people), but you also have a better chance of continuing the lifestyle change indefinitely instead of gaining it all back (like most people).

My guess about your stools is you could be eating too much fiber. Increased fiber should make #2 easier and it should stink less, but overdoing it will have the opposite effect.

What exactly is a "high fiber snack"?

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I posted this in another thread a little while ago, I got a little carried away when posting it, but it's my 2 cents.

6. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I think we all know what thread that was posted it.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lol and?

Lets stick to the topic of this thread bro.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Strawberries are PACKED with FIBER!

9. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Bran cereal by itself, nuts, berries and fruits like apples, and veggies like spinach and carrots.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In the past when I've significantly increased my fiber intake I also SIGNIFICANTLY increased my gas output...and odor. It was bad enough I couldn't deal with it so I went back to a regular diet.

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Cutting dairy, red meat, processed grains, and sugar works wonders as well. I say this as I'm waiting for the pit to heat. Steak and tators on the menu tonight.

12. hotballa

The stool comes out real easy, it just stinks to high heaven. High fiber snack like figs, etc.

It's a two pronged attack against my blood sugar level. Lose weight and eat foods that have shown to reduce sugar levels.

13. Panda23

Panda23 Member

it takes a lifestyle change, not a diet.

14. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I shouldn't have come in thread whilst eating my high fiber meal.

I should have come in this while sitting on the sh!ttr after eating my high fiber meal.

Words like poop stinking like high heaven
    . Thanks

15. hotballa

not using diet like some hollywood fancy diet. I meant diet as in what I eat generally. Constitutes as a lifystyle change, no?

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

17. droxford

droxford Member

snack on almonds. A big bag of 'em at costco costs $15 (which seems pricey to me) but lasts a lot longer than chips, is more filling, tastes good, and has a lot of health benefits.

I take a multivitamin and a fish oil pill every night before I go to sleep. I have jars of 'em in my night stand for conventience, take one each with my glass of water, then roll over and go to sleep.

Go to allstarworkouts.com and check out what they're eating. I'm not saying you should mimic them exactly, but if you read several of the diets there, you'll start seeing diet patterns that can guide point you in the right direction.

I'm avoiding simple carbs and trying to move toward complex carbs. Google 'em.

If I eat something I shouldn't, I try to contain it to one or two medium-to-small bites. I ate two of my buddy's french fries today, but that's about the only infraction for today.

I've told myself "You can't eat any more. ...like.... not for the rest of your life. ... and I say that for things like pizza, lasagna, double-bacon cheeseburgers... etc..... I'm trying to build the mindset that those are things that must accept that must be left behind with youth.

Get a physical exam every year with blood work, stress test, and EKG. Have the doc check your hormone levels, triglycerides, good&bad cholesterol, blood sugar and everything else you can think of. Make that doc earn his paycheck.

For diet alone, weight loss will be slow and limited. You need exercise to see faster loss of body fat. I currently am only focusing on diet and I've lost about 6 lbs over a couple of weeks (I'm 45). I intend to add muscle mass and intake more protein, but I'm struggling to give that focus right now being that I have some other stresses in my life right now.

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In search of a healthy snack, I've settled on little grape tomatoes. I pop 3 or 4 at a time, like... grapes. They have a decent amount of fiber, and all sorts of phytochemicals. Most importantly, they have a more intense flavor than just about everything else that is remotely healthy.

If you try it. Make sure to get the ones labeled "snacking" tomatoes. The mini "salad" tomatoes have thicker walls to hold up better in dishes, but are bland as hell.

You should also pay attention to sodium. In every "healthy" prepared food I've ever seen, they jack the sodium way up to compensate for what they are taking out. Preventing diabetes in favor of a stroke doesn't sound like a good trade off.

#18 Ottomaton, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  19. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Overkill. It's nice to have data points but if your lifestyle is as healthy as you're claiming then that's mostly overkill. Especially a freaking stress test yearly.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Increase slowly and stick with it, your body will adjust.

I am not a big fan of oatmeal in the morning, but I have learned that if I put some scallions, a bit of shredded cheddar and some bacon bits it's quite delightful.