1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Firefighters' Kind Gesture For Widow Goes Viral

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by T_Man, Sep 19, 2014.

1. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I don't know if this has been posted, did a search and could not find it... If it has please lock it up..

You know with so much BS going on with the NFL, I saw this and wanted to share it....

It's great to see that there is finally some inspirational news instead of all the crap that is going around in the news..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/u5AqDdtPALs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Posted: Sep 02, 2014 6:34 PM CDT
    Updated: Sep 02, 2014 6:34 PM CDT
    By WRIC Newsroom - email
    BAYTOWN, Tx. (CNN) - It was a normal call for the men of Station 4 in Baytown. At a house one mile away, 65-year-old John McCormick collapsed while mowing his front yard.

He had a history of heart trouble and, this time, his heart stopped.

EMT and firefighters revived him and followed the ambulance to the hospital. But, then engine driver Luke Bednarek had an idea. They drove back to the house.

“We're all fighting over who can push the mower first,” said Lt. J.D. Giles to CNN affiliate KHOU.

And that is when a neighbor secretly took a picture of firefighter Blake Steffenauer finishing the front yard.

“I just happen to get off the truck first and get the lawnmower first,” said Steffenauer.

They took turns and did the backyard, too. Afterward, they locked the garage and put the key in the mailbox and left a hand-written note, which read, “We felt bad that your husband didn't get to finish the yard, so we did.”

“We are very sorry that your husband became ill, we hope has a speedy recovery,” the letter closes, signed by Station 4.

They didn't their gesture was that big of a deal.

“Just something to help someone out in the worst time of their life,” said Giles.

It was the letter and the gesture that made the daughter weep.

“It just showed me that there is still compassion,” daughter Jeana Blackford said. “That people still do random acts of kindness every day for people that they don't know.”

This story does not have a happy ending as John McCormick died two days later in the hospital. But the family thanked the firefighters for giving them those two days to say goodbye and for restoring their faith in people with a simple act of kindness.

“I just couldn't believe it,” said John's wife Patsy McCormick. “I couldn't believe that they took the time out to do that.”
    “It just speaks to their character,” said Dan Blackford. “They say honor is doing the right thing when no one is looking and they were very honorable.”

The picture of that random act posted to the City of Baytown's Facebook page is already going viral. The McCormick family is getting calls from as far away as New Zealand and they are thankful a neighbor took it.

“It shows just how special they really are,” said Jeana Blackford.

They say thank you to the firefighters and show the rest of us what kindness looks like.

“We love you,” said Patsy and Jeana.

Copyright 2014 ABC News

2. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Would be nice if someone came mowed my lawn. I think next year I'll hire someone to do it. Don't have a lot of free time and using nearly half a day to take care of my yard is a waste.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Its interesting how different the cultures are between firefighters and police officers, and it shows in how the public responds to them. People run towards fire trucks, and run away from police cars.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

One has guns, the other has a cute Dalmatian.

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

After years and years of inbreeding Dalmatians have become horribly irrational and violent. They should not be trusted.

Its nice to see/read stories of people doing good for no particular reason. Good for goodness own sake makes this place a bit more livable...

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Not sure how to embed this video, but it is at the link.

7. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I tell you what.. You go thru the agony that this family just went thru and I will see what I can do...

we hear about so much evil and selfishness all day every day and it was nice that something positive was reported about normal men who make no more than 50K a year and not spoiled millionaires..

There's still good in this world and it's nice that it's reported from time to time.

T_Man