1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LASIK

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rileydog, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

So I got Lasik yesterday. I think it went very well. About 15 seconds to cut the flap, 35 seconds to reshape the eye. The only negative was waiting in the waiting area too long.

Immeidately after the procedure, I could see fairly well, although I had the "misty" vision as all do. I slept for a couple of hours, and things were slightly clearer.

Now it's day 2, and the mistyness is still present, particularly as I look at lights or bright outdoors. But I can read and see as if I were wearing my old glasses, and my prescription was fubar -- 8K ish. I'm doing the antiinflammatory drops along with moisture drops.

Little to no redness in the eyes left. No discomfort, it feels like my eyes are slightly dry, but that's typical 1 day after the procedure.

I'd like to hear from Clutchfans who have had or are considering lasik. I'd like to compare my experience with others. And I went to Berkeley Eye Center for mine.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Is it painful? Is your vision better compared to when you wore glasses/contacts?

3. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

Had mine done about 5 years ago at Berkeley. Was absolutely one of the best things I've ever done. I always had problems seeing long distances -- things were blurry, and I got tired of wearing glasses. I can't tell you how happy I am with the decision. Congrats on getting it done!

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

How much did you pay, or are paying?

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'd like to do it eventually as well, how much did you pay and how long did you have to keep your contacts off prior to it (if you wore contacts)?

6. devilsdandruff

i wanna do get lasik on my eyes as well.
    however i don't think i'll qualify since my eyes are dry as fk.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I had PRK a month ago at a place recommended by a Clutchfan, and let me tell you this, PRK takes much longer than Lasik for a full recovery!

You think halos (the mist) is bad? I had blurry vision for 2 weeks and I still have halos. So it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things.

On the bright side, I see about 20/20 20/25 right now and it's getting better. My friend who had lasik had the halos for 2 months and used drops for a month.

Read around the net for other experiences. They're likely similar to yours.

Definitely follow the doctors advice:
    -Sunglasses and hat for months (6 for me). This will prevent sunlight from damaging your healing cornea and create scar tissue. The halos are your cornea healing!

-1000mg Vitamin C to promote healing. I also take omega 3 pills for dry eye but my doc didn't recommend it.

-If you originally had dry eye, use a humidifier at night.

-****load of eye drops. My doc told me to use individual rewetting vials for the initial 2 weeks every half an hour, but because of my dry eye, she told me to up it every 10 mins. This is probably an aspect of PRK (a more extreme, flapless form of laser correction), but if your eyes feel dry, USE IT.

DON'T BE CHEAP FOR THE INITIAL 3-6 MONTHS! You already spent $3500+ on your eyes!

If you need individual drops, I recommend this as the best price. 100 vials for 24 bucks on amazon.
    Allergan Refresh Plus Lubricant Eye Drops for Sensitive Dry Eye Including Lasik Dryness, Larger Size - 100 Single Use Vials

I spent 20 bucks for 2 packs of 25 at the eye clinic. CVS/Target was a little better, but you'll use them pretty fast in the initial month. Even if you think 100 vials is overkill, you can keep stashes in your car or at work. I've used around 400 vials, but my case is definitely different.

Don't use large rewetting bottles until the doctor says you can. The difference is the preservatives that contain mild toxins that could irritate the eyes. Again, don't be cheap or you'll learn lessons you never wanted to know!

#7 Invisible Fan, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  8. Rileydog

No pain. the only "discomfort" or wierd feeling was when they used a plastic device to "suction" my eyeball to keep it in place when they did the flap. Of course, the numbing drops they put in my eye made it so that I didn't even feel the device on my eye, but only when they turned on the suction. Even then it was just a wierd sense of pressure.

the vision, 2 days after surgery, is better than when I used contacts. I didn't wear contact's b/c of dry eyes and discomfort. The vision isn't quite as good as when I wore glasses, but that's because I'm 2 days out and have the misty/halo effect. But I can read just fine and drive and read signs far away.

I'm going back in on Tuesday and I'll be asking them whether I'm seeing 20/20

9. Rileydog

It wound up costing around $1800 per eye. But I'm paying with medical flex spending account, which is pretax dollars, so I'm saving about another 30%. My effective cost is around $1200 per eye.

10. Rileydog

you're supposed to keep contacts off for 2 weeks. I didn't wear contacts tho.

11. Rileydog

go get evaluated. i had dry eyes when wearing contacts and thought i wasn't a good candidate.

12. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I've always wanted this, I'm tired of wearing glasses, but it creeps me out. I wear glasses because I can't imagine myself putting contacts on my eyes. Maybe later in life I'll be able to.

13. Sajan

Sajan Member

I had PRK done last march. No side effects so far. I don't even use drops on a regular basis anymore.

The initial recovery is a b****. Feels like someone poured sand in your eyes. I don't want to type up my entire experience but if anyone has any questions I will answer gladly.

I did mine at Baylor Vision. Dr. Koch (one of the surgeons who actually wrote the guidelines for LASIK/PRK). Paid 4000.

My final 1 year check up is this march. I am currently seeing close to 20/20 but it was sharper during the first 6 months. I guess the vision settled in a little. My correction was huge though. I was seeing 20/400 before (-8 in both eyes I think). They will decide if I need a touch up surgery to correct it a little more.

14. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I'm tempted to get lasik but heard so many negative factors that I decided to wait for a better technology to come out. What's done cannot be undone with this procedure.

15. mosessmalone

mosessmalone Member

what is better PRK or lasik?

I am so scared of the flap coming undone swimming or whatever like you hear in those lasik horror stories.

I'll be sticking with contacts for now.

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Lucky for you guys. I'd do lasik but I only have one good eye, horrible astigmatism in the other with no central vision that nothing can fix (I'm going in for an avastin shot in the eye in a couple days)

If the good eye goes bad, its seeing eye dog for life. Every year I consider it more, but its a bit risky. I'll go from glasses now to contacts comfortably but it sucks that I have to accept worsening natural vision every passing year.

My manager at work had complications with his lasik flap but didnt really talk about it like a horror story.

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

My doctor recommended PRK. I think Lasik is more popular because of the faster and less painful recovery.

Someone told me something about military preferring PRK.

18. VanityHalfBlack

Yeah, I think I might have to jump ship on this. For those that have gone and done it, how are the payment plans, flexible?

19. noize

noize Contributing Member

I have blue/cross blue/shield as my health insurance. How much do they cover?

20. VanityHalfBlack

I'm on the same boat.