1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Israel Executes Civilian in Gaza. Israeli Who Wrote It Leaves Israel After Threats

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Sep 14, 2014.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Does Israel's constitution call for the destruction of Palestine? No.
    Does Hamas' charter call for the destruction of Israel? Yes.

Everything else is mostly just your anti-semitic hate propaganda, full of one-sided perspective and lies. Not saying Israel's government is doing everything right, but you are blinded by hate. You take the usual leftist anti-Israel stance to a whole other level.

2. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

How do you come up with that? Amira Hass doesn't work for "Israel." She works for Ha'aretz. And the "average Israeli" at some point has to serve in a mandatory draft, often guarding settlements, and rarely escaping some kind of service there. They may not know Palestinians intimately as people, but they are certainly witnesses to the abuses that take place. It's not like it's some kind of secret. It's also not like Palestinians don't have their own press, or that DW, BBC, or Al-Jizeera aren't covering stories there.

And just from watching the clip you posted, Amy Goodman doesn't know how to pronounce Hebrew words correctly or know Shin Bet from Mossad, going as far as giving incorrect information to viewers that Eran Efrati had to correct. So no, glynch, the "average Democracy Now listener" isn't any more enlightened that the average Jerusalem Post reader, and neither should be mistaken for high quality journalism.

I understand that for you, because you rely on an unfortunately insular American media, that Eran Efrati's story is something that you feel compelled to post here, because it's so new to you. I know him (not personally, but 14 FB friends in common) and I read Hebrew media, so what I don't see in my Facebook feed, I certainly get from Hebrew media, if not European media, which tends to report the world that exists outside the United States, as well as stories like this.

There are a lot of people like Eran Efrati (and if it matters, he runs in pretty credible circles - I have no reason to doubt anything he's said). He doesn't get much out of being a whistleblower and they are always attacked as being self-loathing Jews and disloyal lunatics by the Israeli right and by Jewish groups in general. And often, their own family and friends.

This is nothing new, and Sir Jackie should know better as well than quote a hack piece from the Times of Israel.

And really, you should understand that Israel isn't much different than the US. If a US army whistleblower was bringing attention to say, abuses of civilians in Iraq, they wouldn't be treated much differently, and the average American would be just as indifferent (or defensive). Israeli has a long, long way to go to catch up to the US in the occupation and civilian killing numbers, as well as the complacency of its electorate in justifying and/or permitting them happen.

As an American, it shouldn't be hard for you to understand how it works.

I also think that if BDS is good for Israel, it should be great for the United States.

3. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Oh, congratulations, the Saudis care more about the Palestinians than they do about say, the Jordanians. How could I have missed such an impressive standard?:rolleyes:

And giving up its own territory to the Palestinians will increase its chances of dominating the Middle East instead of the other three....how?

4. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Besides solving the region's biggest long-term problem and Egypt's biggest security one? Sisi gets to swagger like Nasser (the most influential politician in the post-Ottoman Middle East) - whom he desperately wants to be.

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Understandably you stick to a tactic of trying to stick to one or two simple claims, ignoring all other facts while playing the the old anti-Semite Card.

Two can play that silly game.

Does the Likud charter say that it will never support a Palestinian State? Yes

Is Likud in the center of the rapidly more rabid right wing Israeli society?

Did Israeli officials know from the beginning that Hamas did not sanction the kidnapping of the three hitchhikers that led to the Israeli rampage on the West Bank leading to the slaughter in Gaza? . Yes.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Hamas members kidnapped (and murdered, which you conveniently left out) these three teenagers. Don't try to distort that fact.

7. glynch

QUOTE=Deji;9227860]How do you come up with that? Amira Hass doesn't work for "Israel." She works for Ha'aretz.[/QUOTE]

Answer I knew that. How did you come up with I thought that?

These debasing occupation duties are certainly not relating to them as people and of course just leads to an extremely twisted view of Palestinians.

So can you cite research showing that the average Israeli follows this media. I doubt it. To be fair most Fox viewers don't watch Al Jazeera or even MSNBC either.

Come on. Should we ask you to provide evidence that your Hebrew is accentless so that we can judge your credibility wrt to any claims you make. You admit you having little Arabic, but I would not claim that this means any comment wrt to the Palestinians valueless.

This was somewhat overstated, but as you yourself have acknowledged in other posts the average Israeli is mislead by lots of government propaganda.

Well. yeah and it is to the rest of the folks on the bbs. It does not make it any less important to show what Israel has become.

[/QUOTE] because it's so new to you. I know him (not personally, but 14 FB friends in common) and I read Hebrew media[/QUOTE],

Interesting wrt to fb, but I think wrt to issues such as the morality of the Zionist project or Israeli treatment of Palestinians this type of appeal is not valid argument. Similarly I would claim that non Afrikaners had the right to judge Apartheid in South Africa whether they had Afrikaner friends.

All I can say about Israel and the US being the same -- a common claim of Israel defenders is you are wrong on a very important level. In the Us we are a multi-ethnic democracy with equal status for all religions. All citizens, including Native Americans who might choose to live on reservations have equal rights. This is a critical difference and you know it. I am not trying to insult you as you certainly know but for the others on the bbs I will cite.

There are more than 50 Israeli laws that discriminate against Palestinian citizens of Israel in all areas of life, including their rights to political participation, access to land, education, state budget resources, and criminal procedures. http://adalah.org/eng/Israeli-Discriminatory-Law-Database

A new and interesting addendum to the US and Israel being exactly the same.
    Interesting as a somewhat liberal wrt to Israel/Palestine you apparently find BDS so objectionable.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

glynch = the slaughterer of the quote feature

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Have you actually looked at those? I stopped after getting through the first page and not one mentions Palestinian citizens of Israel. There are laws about stripping people of citizenship if they are convicted of treason, laws about private restricted covenants that could POTENTIALLY be used to discriminate against any group (though there are also anti-discrimination laws attached), laws relating to combat in the West Bank and Gaza (which are not going to affect Palestinian citizens of Israel), laws relating to how many attorneys are allowed to visit security prisoners, etc. Could you perhaps point to a couple that actually do what you claim?

10. glynch

Recently a friend remarked that she was sick over everyone wasting so much time and effort on a tiny country like Israel which is about the size of greater Houston ,and at least in Jewish population with about the same number of people-- when there is a whole world out there with millions starving people etc.

It got me to think once again as to why I make it one of my main foreign policy concerns.

I have always known quite a few Jewish friends so they tend to be concerned, and it is a very interesting part of the world, but the real reason is that I think it is one of the keys to restoring sensible policies in America. We are wasting trillions in stupid wars in the Middle East which is bringing our country down and decreasing the standard of living for most people. It makes hundreds of millions hate us more and more and makes us less safe. It is perfect circular process that only benefits the military industrial complex.

Since 9/11 and even before we have a group of neo-cons in the US who are still quite influential despite the Iraq debacle. They constantly push for war with Iraq, Iran and Syria and against any other country that Israel thinks would be less threatening if it were torn apart into warring factions. These neo-cons are aligned with Israel and we actually see dual nationals or those with spousal connections with neo-con types in Israel.

Influential as the neo-cons might be in the US, in Israel this ideology is completely dominant almost with out any significant opposition. This is due to the enormous strain of trying to suppress a population of Palestinians nearly equal to the number of Jews. Wrt to Israel think of America if Cheney and McCain and Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz etc. had won the last five presidential elections by wide margins and had strong majorities in both houses and they had the current supreme court. It should be noted guys like Cheny are not necessarily conservative on social issues like gay rights or mar1juana smoking nor is Israel.

This is not to say that the US has not been imperialist and obsessed with controlling oil all over the world before the rise of the neo-con partnership with the new Israel, because it has and there will be a tendency to continue to do it once the Israel/Palestinian issue is resolved. However, in my opinion certainly one of the current keys to defeating these warmongers is to stop enabling Israel to lead us into wars and make hundreds of millions hate us for enabling their oppression of the Palestinians.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's because you are a deluded leftist anti-semite who is heavily influenced by the leftist narrative that Jews are behind capitalism, and because, as someone who wants to be regarded as a proper leftist, you were taught to hate capitalism, you hate Jews, and you feel solidarity with their enemies, even if they are terrorists.

12. glynch

It is you who are trying to distort things. Hamas leadership does not have iron control over every member.

Likewise Israeli leaders do not have iron control over ever settler or every IDF soldier who commits atrocities.

Nice try, though.

13. glynch

All you got is name calling. "leftist narrative Jews behind capitalism". lol .

#33 glynch, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  14. glynch

Since we were discussing the Stasi like Unit 8200 of the Israeli intelligence it was interesting to see the NYT article about how the NSA is sending raw intercepst about American citizens to that group.

WASHINGTON — IN Moscow this summer, while reporting a story for Wired magazine, I had the rare opportunity to hang out for three days with Edward J. Snowden. It gave me a chance to get a deeper understanding of who he is and why, as a National Security Agency contractor, he took the momentous step of leaking hundreds of thousands of classified documents.

Among his most shocking discoveries, he told me, was the fact that the N.S.A. was routinely passing along the private communications of Americans to a large and very secretive Israeli military organization known as Unit 8200. This transfer of intercepts, he said, included the contents of the communications as well as metadata such as who was calling whom
    Mr. Snowden stressed that the transfer of intercepts to Israel contained the communications — email as well as phone calls — of countless Arab- and Palestinian-Americans whose relatives in Israel and the Palestinian territories could become targets based on the communications. “I think that’s amazing,” he told me. “It’s one of the biggest abuses we’ve seen.”

It appears that Mr. Snowden’s fears were warranted. Last week, 43 veterans of Unit 8200 — many still serving in the reserves — accused the organization of startling abuses

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/17/opinion/israels-nsa-scandal.html?_r=0

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Struck a nerve.

16. glynch

What Israel does in between invading
    Gaza.

Featured Stories 21 Israeli Supreme Court upholds law allowing housing discrimination against Palestinians

Israel/Palestine Annie Robbins on September 18, 2014 Yesterday, Israel’s Supreme Court dismissed a petition by Adalah: The Legal Center for Arab Minority Rights in Israel effectually facilitating the Judaization of more Palestinian owned land inside Israel. According to Adalah, the court’s decision holding up Israel’s Admissions Committees Law, “entrenches racial segregation; 434 small communities in Israel, or 43% of all residential areas, will be allowed to close their doors to Palestinian Arab citizens of the state.” Much of the land in question was originally confiscated from Palestinian refugees, and the court’s decision will result in the continued concentration and containment of the Palestinian population in Isra - See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/#sthash.5hrEH1DG.dpuf

http://mondoweiss.net/