1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao vs Gasol

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KALIKULI, Oct 31, 2003.

1. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

I can almost see this two giants will dominate the scoring on the low post or maybe Yao has a slight edge of advantage on the paint, maybe Gasol has never had an NBA body but he sure can shoot that short jumper. If we contain Gasol early, Memphis would not have a chance.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Pau Gasol could not guard Yao with the freaking Spanish Armada at his disposal.

3. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

slight advantage? i hope your joking

4. prlen

prlen Member

Baker was scoring at will on Gasol.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

We'll own Memphis. 'nuff said.

6. SLA

SLA Member

Yao was already owning Gasol last year. I think Gasol is pretty good..kinda soft when I see him play..actually gets pretty violent..anyways..I don't think Gasol can do very well against Cato unless he plays finesse style and like patient with fakes and stuff.

7. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

if i remember it right, Yao played about even against Gasol last year. no where close to dominating him. Yao has problem guarding Gasol since Gasol is much quicker than him so that he can drive past him. but Yao can post him up at will on the other end. I'm looking forward to an exciting duel between them but not sure they'll go at each other much as Gasol plays 4 for Mem.

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Gasol plays defense like Dirk. Yao will dominate if Memphis tries to match him up with Yao Ming.

9. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Gasol is a better player against bigger guys, but with Cato playing great defensively, he is going to have a tough game.

10. fungyee77

fungyee77 Member

Memphis will be stronger this year than in years past. Hubie Brown is making a difference and Pau Gasol is a special player offensively. He is, as with Yao, a marvellously efficient player.

Thus a close game should not be out of the realm of expectations.

11. University Blue

[This message brought to you, in part, by the United Colors of Bennetton.]

Houston's defensive intensity was impressive against the rookie Orangeman, but will they be able to contain White Chocolate?

Jason Williams is the one player who can slice and dice his way into the heart of the JVG red-zone, twin tower defense. If Houston can limit Jason Williams' molasses-sweet perimeter game, legendary passes, and HOF creativity on fastbreak opportunities, Houston has a chance.

Francis has improved on defense, but it will take a collective effort to contain Jason Williams. This will be an exciting game.

University (Reign Bow) Blue

12. crash5179

Memphis sure better play a lot better against Houston than they did against Boston if they plan on keeping this one close for very long. JWills molasses-sweet perimeter game didn't quite cut the mustard against what I considered an inferior Eastern Conference team.

13. pcheung

pcheung Member

I'm getting hungry... ;)

14. haven

haven Member

Gasol plays like Francis did a couple of years ago in direct match-ups against good players.

He'll score a ton - but he'll give up even more. Anything he gains w/his O... he loses w/his D.

15. crash5179

That is a good anology.

I wonder who will be tasked with gading Gasol...Yao Ming or Kelvin Cato?

I think Gasol played PF last night with Stromile playing center. Kelvin and Ming are just so much bigger and stronger than just about any other 4 and 5 tandom they will face in have to face in the league that even talented front courts such as Swift and Gasol are going to be overmatched physically.

16. fasthand2000

fasthand2000 Contributing Member

Gasol will get a whole lot more FT than Yao. He like to flop a lot.

17. crash5179

Maybe, maybe not. Yao Ming did have 8 FT attempts in just 20 minutes the other night.