1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Parking ticket advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Elvis Costello, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Elvis Costello

The Houston Police announced a new program to hunt down people with traffic tickets. Now, I admit that I am lame and got a parking ticket for parking in a no-parking zone near the Aerial Theater about two years ago. I simply don't have the money to pay the exhorbitant fine ($255) and I am moving out of the country in July. I do not live in Houston, but in an uncorporated suburb on the east side. What are the chances that this Houston police task force will come to my non-Houston house to bust me for a single traffic ticket? Should I be worried? Does anybody here have any similar experiences I could learn from?

Here is the Chronicle link for the new dragnet

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/topstory/1244059

Thanks in advance!

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

$255?!?!?!?! :eek:

Here in Austin, they're $10.

3. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I wouldn't sweat it too much.

4. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

FIRST tell me, are you guilty of the offense?
    I stiffed a parking ticket I got on the side of the Wortham Center for about 2 years or so. It was a Parking in Handicap Zone, which by the way is a f@cking trap on the side of the Wortham BEWARE.:mad: There were 2 handicap signs at either corner of the entire block. I'm talking a friggin footbal field here. Everything in between got a ticket for violating handicap zone. Not only that there are a bunch of trees and bushes and **** all along the damn block, very scenic, very pretty, nice architecture, very deceptive, BEWARE "the man" is watching and waiting for you to slip!:mad:
    ANYHOW, this past summer I got a letter from an attorney representing the City of Houston and traffic stuff and said if I didn't pay the 200 bucks, they'd come and tow my car from my driveway. I live in the Heights area. I paid (ok, so I got in debt for these bastids and charged it, yes they gladly accept plastic).
    LOOk, I'm sure plenty of guilty Parking Law Breakers have been given tickets and have paid the price by paying the fine, great. How many innocent people get parking ticketed for questionable things like me? I imagine alot, or more than 1 and less than a million. Was I in between 2 handicap signs? Yes. BUT, there was about 200 feet in between those signs and all kinda crap in between,...oh and the whole side of the street was full of cars already and I didn't even park on the corner,rather somewhat towards the middle of the damn block! I just don't find those situations very fair for people trying to park, especially when they all KNOW its the freakin' Wortham and stuff is gonna go on there all the damn time. It should be better equiped for this type of traffic and expectations from hungry parkers?! And by the way, the law is not perfect as none of us are.
    THEREFORE, If you are never coming back, if noone from your family or last name or related in anyway is gonna live in your Houston home with the very same address they're gonna come to break your door down with...SKREW'EM!!!!!!!:mad:

Consider it a gift from me, I've already paid for you...you Parking Law Breaker!!!:mad:

:D

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I got hit with a $50 by the UTPD. I'm in appeal.

6. TraJ

TraJ Member

My wife got a parking ticket yesterday. I thought, "Oh great, just what we need." After looking at it, I was just a little relieved. Sum total: $4. In fact, I think her company pays them for the employees because they don't have enough parking.

7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I got a letter the other day for a parking ticket from 4 years ago. Its only $40 but I dont want to pay it. My meter ran out as I was walking back to my car and the stupid woman had been standing there waiting for it to expire. I wanted to beat her down into the sidewalk. Anyway, I dont have that car anymore and I was wondering if they would continue to look for that old car or my new one. The plates didnt transfer so they couldnt link it that way. Anyway, I am not that worried about it and they can kiss my ass.

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I wish I could say kiss my ass to the UTPD, but they can screw with grades and registration.

9. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Smokey, that is why you never give them your real license plate number when you register for parking permits and such.