1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Excel help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Castor27, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I have some experience with Excel functions, but I can't seem to figure out the right one and formula to use to do what I need this time. I am trying to tally election results for my school. We are using a google spreadsheet and it is being updated all day. I have the overall totals using countif with no problems. What I would like to do is tally according to grade level and be able to keep a running total. So basically what the function needs to do is look at column C and if it says Kindergarten then it needs to look at column D and countif it says Romney, then I will make a second to countif it says Obama. Then I can go back and copy these formulas to check column c for each grade level. I have tried several things and either just don't have the syntax right or I am not using the correct functions. Help would definitely be appreciated.

2. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

I think you need to use a Vlookup formula.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

^ This.

1 person likes this.
  4. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Yes you definitely need to use a vlookup, but I think you are also trying to get a numerical value to tally up the number of people who voted Obama/Romeny by grade. You will need to use a combination of vlookup and countif in one formula.

1 person likes this.
  5. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes that is what I am trying to do. And I think that is the answer (vlookup and countif in a formula)

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  7. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

I would also think that setting up a Pivot table maybe useful. Although not sure if Google spreadsheet supports this.

1 person likes this.
  8. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Pivot Table worked for what I wanted, so I am good. Thanks for all the help. Rep incoming.

9. Pete the Cheat

learn to love the pivot table. a procrastinators best friend

10. Pete the Cheat

for the record a sumif should have worked, as well. could you paste the faulty formula you were using?

11. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I wanted to start a working class stand up that starts with "They should change the name of Microsoft Excel to Microsoft "Big Learning Curve" "

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

How much of a learning curve is pressing "F1" and typing a query? :confused:

13. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Vlookup and follow the statements "values"[ ]...[ ].
    Vlookup isn't easy if you've never used it before, but google shall help you

14. David Stern

David Stern Member

15. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I'm applying for a job for which a requirement is strong Excel skills. I am otherwise a great fit but I'm kind of the Stromile Swift of Excel: the ability is probably there but I've never thought to actually use it. That was a really weak analogy. Analogy strength is not in the job description.

Can anyone recommend an online resource to help me learn Excel? Free would be awesome.

16. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

If you're going into an accounting/finance job, the first thing I would do is research "Vlookups" and "Pivot Tables". Usually these are the two main things they are looking for, or at least it was in my past interviews. If they ask "do you have experience with Excel?", tell them yes, you know the basics, vlookups, pivot tables, etc.

As far as an online resource, I can't say I know one off the top of my head, but I'm sure you can google one. Maybe YouTube? There is a forum called MrExcel that has good information, they may have some "new to Excel" or "startup" sub-forums.

1 person likes this.
  17. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Ok good to know. The job is as an office manager for a real estate company. I feel like there may not be that much to learn there (like I'd be filling in listing spreadsheets) but I don't want to apply to a job where I'm over my head.

18. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

the Countifs formula will work well. I've incorporated something similar recently. DM me if you want to see how i've used it and how it would work for you.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

BUMP 12-3-14

Is there a way to show only the trendlines on an X Y Scatter graph? I just want the data points to be invisible, not deleted. I figured there has to be a way to do that but I can't figure it out.

Note: I have 3 different trendlines on the graph.

20. Pete the Cheat

I have had to remove them manually (click -> delete) in the past...google hasn't offered me a better solution to date