1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

International BasketBall and the Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket River, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I kid got drafted
    He was in the Israeli League
    he was a Lotto Pick

They stated he Averaged like 5 pts a game and like 2 Rebounds
    Then they went on to explain that league favors Senority etc

Given that. . .. . How does 5 pts and 2 Rbs translate into a LOTTO Worthy player?

I mean how much can you tell about the kid
    I mean if it is because of limited play time. . . would seem you'd lack info
    If he playing more than 10 minutes a game .. . . those numbers are troubling

Would any NCAA player with those number be a Lotto Pick?

Rocket River

2. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

It's all about potential and level of competition.

Dragan Bender is only 18 years old playing in maybe the 3rd or 4th best league outside the NBA (I don't follow european, greek, italian, etc. basketball that much so I can't accurately gauge level of competition).

Even though those leagues contain fringe NBA players, I'd still think they'd beat any NCAA team. So the idea is that since Bender is able to play, train, compete, and find some level of success with much older and experienced players is indicative of his maturity and potential. Bender is essentially fighting above his weight-class, and doing "okay" as a kid. For reference, when Kristaps Porzingis was 17-18 years old, he was averaging like 6 pts and 3 rbs in Spain.

Also, Bender has a lot of measurables and a unique skillset that make him worth the risk. The NBA loves lengthy, agile bigmen that can shoot 3's, handle the ball and defend multiple positions. And since he's essentially the same age as an incoming college freshman, training and coaching staffs get a head start with him. it's all about the player he's projected to become rather than the player he currently is.

That being said, Bender could totally suck, never develop into anything, and be another Jan Vesely. I'm not trying to persuade you to think he's any good, just trying to explain the reasoning behind the pick.

As for your question, an NCAA player putting up 5 pts and 2 rbs would probably not be a lotto pick. A lotto level talent should show an above average level of production against players around the same age and skill level.

3. malakas

malakas Member

if almost all NCAA players went to play in Europe they would shine in the bench at best playing in blowouts.
    If they couldn't play perfect tough defence and know all the systems and how to pass the ball => bench and never to be seen again.

The only exception are some developmental pro teams who have it their business to develop young players and then sell them either through buyouts to the nba or to other euro teams.
    For example Zaragoza, Sevilla, Mega Leks

It's Bender's mistake that he chose to play in Maccabi. He should have gone elsewhere.

4. malakas

malakas Member

oh and btw you do understand that even the worse European league is consisted of GROWN ASS MEN? right?
    Most Ncaa teams have little underdeveloped kids who will never cross the door of even the league in Kazakhstan and if someone is more developed than them physically they can dominate.(see Randle).
    In grown pro leagues ncaa developed players would get their ass kicked with elbows kicks and instead would get bullied to the ground by 30 year old men not kids.

5. what

what Member

Scouts actually watch these kids from an early age, believe me they have seen a lot more of them than what's on the box score. But you are right in the sense that drafting an international player is either boom or bust.

6. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I think this is one of the reasons you see so many first round busts these days. I saw during the draft they posted the stats of one of the players invited to the drafted and he avg 6ppg 5rpg in his only college season. He shouldn't have even declared for the draft I don't see how being an average college player should make anyone think he should be a lottery pick.

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yeah, if a young Euro player wants to play NBA they should go to Mega Leks!!!