1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harrison Barnes turns down $64 million extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...n-barnes--64-million-extension-223600896.html

This guy averaged 10 pts and 5 rbs and he is turning down 64 mil. Tjones and Dmo are going to want to MAX.

2. what

what Member

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Barnes fits what they do very well. His ability to guard PFs part-time is key, not just his offense.

Consider also if the salary cap goes to $93MM next year and $105MM in 2017 as rumored, this contract becomes $10-12MM per year in today's terms. That is why he turned it down.

4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

And there are people laughing at TJ MAY get a 15 mils/year contract.

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Raw stats don't mean much these days. They do not paint the entire picture esp on a winning team like GSW where Barnes is not required to do all the heavy lifting.

6. malakas

malakas Member

I posted it in the Jones thread in the GARM but noone paid attention. lol

He is correct to turn it down because he has potential to produce more in another team with no stars, and he plays at a position of extreme need for most teams and minimum supply, and has shown qualities that are very in vogue: Versatility.

Remember that this is an extension. He is not a rfa. That means the Warriors are trying to get a discount in exchange for security from injuries. He and his agent think that the difference is not good enough so they must think that his open market price next year will be more. And they are likely correct, though I don't think it will be too much higher.
    Of course it depends on a breaking out too.

1 person likes this.
  7. malakas

malakas Member

I think btw that they will reach an agreement at around 17.5 per. Swartz is a good agent but he is not insane like Rich Paul.

8. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Barnes wants more money

9. PJ86

PJ86 Member

While some people are certain Barnes can do more with an expanded role, I actually think it's the system and the attention on others that allows him to be great. He does a good job on his role on this team. Not so sure he could be a great starter on a team that actually needs him to be the 1st or 2nd option.

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Ask your self this question...do you think Barnes is better than, equal too, or worse than Parsons...If Draymond Green wasnt as good as he has become, people would be clamoring rightfully so about Barnes...

Remember, players once they win a title have less of an incentive to take "low" offers...Some team will be willing to pay Barnes 15 million. And yes, there will be teams that will overpay Jones/and or DMo next offseason.

11. basketballholic

Yeah. And we're gonna continue to laugh. Anybody that signs TnoJ to that kind of money based on what he's done his first 3 seasons is a terrible GM. TnoJ will have to break out significantly this season to be worthy of that kind of contract.

Same goes for Barnes. He may very well get more than $64 million on the open market but if any team besides the Warriors, a championship team with their core already in place, gives it to him they're stupid. Barnes is simply not worth that much cap space on any team other than a championship team that is already far above the salary cap.

12. Handles

Handles Member

There is SO much money in the nba it's astounding.

Barnes is right to turn that offer down. I don't think he's worth more, but he'll get more.

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

Post-Achilles Wes Matthews just got $70/4. Barnes is younger, has a cleaner bill of health, and plays a position of greater importance.

Harrison's max next year will be around $20 million. I might settle for $18 (a 10% cut) for the sake of safety and security, but I wouldn't settle for $16. Golden State has no cap flexibility either way, so their options are to match Barnes next summer or let him walk for nothing....i.e. ANY paycut Barnes takes helps them.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

16m is the new 8m, embrace cap reality.

15. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

That's a hell of a life where you can turn your nose up at $16 mil a year

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That's 6MotY James Harden money...

17. underrated015

underrated015 Member

James harden is underpaid then.lol

18. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

do you think barnes could be a legit first or second option on a seperate team, i think thats what harrison wants more than money

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

It's not like this guy doesn't have a ton of talent. He was a 5 star recruit and the #1 rated prospect in 2010. He's good but not a legit 1st option on another team. But it's not surprising he has that give me what I'm worth inside of him.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I actually think it's the system and the attention on others that allows him to be great. Say, what? He's a good role player on a very good team. If HB can turn this down and TT can say to Cleavesburg for less than $84 then, by all means, sign BOTH TJo and DMo to extensions rightthisveryminute for 4/$60. They'll be great trade bait if not wanted in TheToyShop!

PS sign DMo today. Just sayin'...