1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012/2013 Post Dwightmare To Tank or Not to Tank

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Aug 10, 2012.

Tags:
?

Should the Rockets "tank" in 2012/2013?

1. Yes

75.3%
  2. No

24.7%
  1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I was fully on board the tank bandwagon last year, but I think the BBS as a whole still slightly supported non-tanking.

Maybe it's unfair to take the pulse right now, but in a couple of weeks DM might pull off some dumb sideways trade for Al Jefferson or Josh Smith - solid players, mind you, but not exactly leading you anywhere, which would negate the question.

As of right now, do you support a "tank"?

2. Convictedstupid

If by 'tanking' you mean 'playing the rookies', which is what I believe we're doing, we should tank.

3. thekad

thekad Member

We said to tank last year. Morey signed Dalembert and we ended up with another 14th pick.

Of course we need to tank, but chances are Morey will do something dumb again and we'll end up with another 14th pick.

Running in place.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

How can a team that is better than last seasons team tank?

5. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, I supported the tank in last year and the year before last year. I never thought that we had a good chance to keep this Dwightmare guy even if we can rent him for a year, tank is only way to get better.

6. JayZ750

Many of us did, but more of us didn't. Many were persuaded by the failed Gasol trade that there was something out there that DM could find. Probably the best poster in the GARM, BimaThug, was a proponent of not tanking. Many may still be. Some are just opposed to tanking.

And to clarify, I certainly don't mean try to lose. But play rookies for sure.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm am pro-rebuilding. That's not necessarily the same thing as tanking.

8. ClKent

ClKent Member

I have supported the rookies from beginning of draft till end the of the Dwight saga. Will continue to do so. You can bet I am aboard for the youth movement.

I dont call it tanking. I call it rebuilding. For those who have a aversion to the word Tanking.;)

9. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When you say a "dumb sideways trade for Al Jefferson or Josh Smith" I think you may going a littl efar. Those players are not signed beyond this coming year and would not hurt the team in the long run. It might be helpful to add players like that in order to help instill certain qualities in the new guys and help transition them into possible starters. At the end of the year, the team could evaluate the season and decide if those are players they feel would be valuable going forward. Tanking ensures nothing and it might be more detrimental to simply throw the young guys to the wolves.

10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

They lower our chances for a higher pick.

11. JayZ750

Disagree. For one, you have to give assets to get. Why trade Kevin Martin, a solid player on an expiring contract (either of which might be valuable) to only get the same in return, when you could get a draft pick, potentially?

Moreover, instilling winning characteristic traits doesn't make sense to me. KD isn't any more of a competitor now than he was his rookie season when the Sonics were horrible. He's just better with experience and has a much better team around him.

I agree. There is a difference. Rebuilding means trying to stay competitive while achieving that ultimate goal of a championship. Tanking means not trying to stay competitive. I support tanking.

12. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Yes. Go young. Tank. REBUILD.

[​IMG]

13. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I get your point, but I just don't think tanking is the answer. It doesn't guarantee you anything and just says that you are putting your players in a position to fail.

Grabbing players this year with no long term commitments can help in the young players' development. More specifically, I would prefer to go for the playoffs this year in order to fulfill our pick obligation to Atlanta in order to be able to use our own picks going forward. The Lakers just completed a deal using a pick (likely 25th or later) from 2017. That's because they used picks from 2013 and 2015 to add Nash. The Rockets can't use any of their own future picks because of that holdup.

And using KD as an example is not really relevant since we have nobody on the team that talented.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't see how getting Jefferson or Smith would help our guys development since they will be taking minutes away from those players.

15. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Do we have a choice? LOL.

16. thekad

thekad Member

Nothing is a guarantee. It's about getting the best odds to win a championship. Tanking for a superstar gives the team the best odds to win a title, period.

Except you would have to give up young players/picks to acquire a Josh Smith, which is a step backwards. And like Jay said, the Thunder were terrible and KD, Westbrook, and Harden's development obviously weren't hurt.

17. Raven

Raven Member

So 20% of the voters are terminally ill?

Honestly, I won't say opposition to tanking/rebuilding is trolling, but it comes close.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This.

19. Damion Laverne

We'll probably be mediocre again.

20. ClKent

ClKent Member

Ok. Now on to being serious. Seriously for us to tank properly. MOREY NEEDS TO TRADE KEVIN MARTINS BUTT ALREADY!

It has to be done. As it is the Rockets will won too many games with Martin around to get a top pick. Morey has STILL not gotten his job done despite the best player he drafted was the SG with the number 12 pick. There is nothing we want Kevin Martin to teach Jeremy Lamb character wise. He doesnt even have tricks on how to teach to get the free throw line anymore. Its time to replace him or Morey is not doing his job right. Getting rid of Scola just to keep Martin? That defeats the purpose.