1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Little Girl Writes Note to Black Friend About Parents' Racism

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Mar 17, 2015.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Such a shame. This young black girl will have to be the bigger person and not retaliate with the vile hatred being thrown her way.

Little Girl Writes Note to Black Friend About Parents' Racism
    https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/little-girl-writes-note-to-black-friend-about-113880069307.html

[​IMG]
    A little girl wrote this letter to say that she wasn’t allowed to attend her friend’s birthday party because she is black.

There was one guest missing from a 10-year-old’s birthday party Friday after her friend said she couldn’t attend because the birthday girl was black.

Harmony Jones celebrated her tenth birthday with a slumber party last week, but one of her friends, a white classmate, sent a handwritten note declining the invitation. “Maby [sic] I will not be able to come to your birthday sleepover, because my dad will not let me go because you are black,” the note said. “Not trying to be races [sic], but my mom let me go. Happy birthday!”

Harmony met this friend at Highland Oaks Elementary School in Memphis, Tenn., where they are classmates. “This is my daughter’s first time going to that particular school,” Harmony’s father, Christopher Jones, told WHBQ. “They strike up a friendship. So what would seem to be an innocent friendship, never thought anything like this would happen.” (Jones has not yet responded to an interview request from Yahoo Parenting.)

[​IMG]
    Harmony Jones didn’t let the letter ruin her birthday party sleepover.

Jones told WREG that he never expected his daughter to encounter such prejudice. “It angered me a little bit, it hurt me that my 10-year-old girl had to deal with this, and I myself never thought I would have to deal with this,” he said.

Still, Harmony didn’t let the note ruin her party and had a great sleepover, according WREG. And while Jones doesn’t hold any hard feelings toward the little girl who wrote the note, he said there’s a lesson to be learned. “I guess [we] as parents need to be more aware and conscious about what we teach our children.”

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Sorry, this should not be any kind of a news story.

3. CometsWin

You're right. This probably happens more than we know. I just hope she doesn't grow up to hate white people. I mean... cause and effect man. Let's stop this cycle of hatred.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Yes, this stuff happens often. Believe it or not, whites are harassed too. Most of us learn to look past it and move on. Some obsess about race their entire lives.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The cycle of people not getting into birthday parties?

6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Why would Mr. Jones hold "hard feelings" toward the girl that wrote the note? I could understand disliking the racist father, but the girl didn't do anything wrong.

7. CometsWin

I'm inspired to know how you as a white man in America can look past the constant harassment. It's an amusing talking point that those that are victims of racism are actually the ones obsessed with race.

8. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

There was a similar story a while back about an RSVP to a 7 year old's birthday party who had gay parents and it turned out to be a hoax.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Maybe that's why you never made it past high school - the Minority Man keeping you down.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

There's a lot of love out there... I bet you're not getting near as much as you can...

There is no man ...

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

*chuckle*

Rocket River
    SAVE 'EM OFFICER!!!
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4mBe5mpIHRs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. dback816

dback816 Member

What's the point of this

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

My first reaction is that the 10 year old girl has unusually good writing skills for a 10 year old.

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

My thoughts as well.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

I never get invited to little girls' bday parties either.

16. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

Seems like one of those stories where one of the parents actually writes the note to cause a controversy and there was no little girl who had a racist father. I'm not saying racist stuff like this doesn't happen, but it doesn't seem like something a little kid would write.

17. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Yeah, like that lesbian waitress who wrote the anti-gay receipt.

18. Major

Major Member

I would hope that by 5th grade, people are reading and writing much more advanced things. If you were talking about a 6 year old, sure. But this is one year away from junior high when you're writing book reports and the like.