1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden or Ibaka?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jman7373, Apr 9, 2012.

1. jman7373

jman7373 Member

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/features/david_aldridge/04/09/morning-tip-nba-draft-age-limit-debate/

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

hard-on for sure

3. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I am hoping this happens, but hardly holding my breath. I would be happy if they can keep either.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The answer is to keep both and trade Westbrook for a couple good MLE type players.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If forced to choose, I would take Harden because I'm more certain he will improve and become a borderline superstar, if not an outright superstar. Having 3 guys that can both create, drive, finish and shoot from outside is valuable. This makes up for not having a low-post scorer.

If I knew Ibaka's rarely used back to the basket game would continue improving along with the rest of his game, I'd take him instead. Ibaka's potential upside is huge. He has a good jumper, can finish strong or softly around the rim and is just learning how to pass effectively. This season he has exploded as an offensive rebounder. His main weakness on offense is catching the ball. If he fixes that, watch out. On defense, he's probably the best help-defender in the NBA. His one-on-one post defense is improving but not quite there. His main weakness is guarding perimeter 4s who like to shoot from the outside. Long term, I see Ibaka moving to C eventually. He needs to gain about 20 more pounds.

I think Harden will re-sign this summer and Ibaka next summer. The article is inaccurate by saying both guys will be unrestricted in 2013. In 2013 they will be restricted. It's in 2014 both would be unrestricted if not signed this coming summer or next summer. It won't get that far.

6. what

what Member

Harden, because you can't replace a harden with a cheap fill in. Ibaka you can find guys like that for cheap. The grizzlies cherry picked dante cunningham and tony allen; two of the best defenders in the league for 5 million combined.

7. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I'll take Perk if he's on the market.

8. what

what Member

I think it is wishful thinking that Ibaka be anything more than he is right now. He'll never be a good low post scorer; he's just a better version of deandre jordan. A guy that can hit a shot every now and then and play rugged defense. His post game is rudimentary at best.

Harden, Westbrook and Durant is their big three.

9. Zackery

Zackery Member

I wanted to make a new thread for this but will just put it here: I think Ibaka is the best shot blocker I have seen in the NBA since the Mutombo and Alonzo Morning days. Having said that I would first pay and secure Harden and then Ibaka.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Name another big that has the defensive presence and impacts the game like Ibaka does, and see how much whatever team they're on is paying them. You can't get someone like Ibaka for something like 2.5 mill. Other teams will outbid you in an instant.

What's scary is, Ibaka is starting to develop a jumper. As that shot gets more consistent, it gets harder to say Harden over Ibaka.

For the Thunder though, I'd go with Ibaka over Harden. You already have enough offense in Westbrook and Durant, that you don't have to depend on Harden's offense.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

They should trade Harden for a PG who can contribute without dominating the ball + a solid big man, and move Westbrook to SG.

Say, for instance, Lowry + Scola for Harden + Perkins ;)

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

Lowry
    Sefolosha
    Durant
    Scola
    Ibaka

That line-up is scary.

13. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Lowry, dalembert plus chase for Westbrook would give thunders cheap near-all-star PG with ability to resign harden and Ibaka (dalembert can be bought out cheap).

14. what

what Member

ibaka doesnt impact the game that much. People greatly overate his game. I'd take a cheaper Darrell Arthur and call it a day.

Thabo Sefolosha is by far their best defender and it ain't even close.

15. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

yeah, they would have an awesome bench, wouldn't you agree.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Scola doesn't fit their team at all and Ibaka isn't ready yet to play full-time C. One of the reasons Ibaka's blocked shot rate has exploded is because they stopped playing him at C moved him to PF only. Kendrick Perkins is the best thing that ever happened to Ibaka.

To get their awesome bench back, all OKC needs is for Maynor to return.

17. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Lowry, Dally, Bud, Ny pick and Dallas pick for Harden and Perkins? Too little?

Dragic (most likely resigned)/ vet
    Harden
    Parsons/Morris
    Scola/ Donatas
    Perkins/ Camby (if resigned)

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Harden. He has already shown that he can be a consistent difference maker and that he is a better all-around player.

19. 713

713 Member

How bout just lowry - durant straight up, if we wanna keep dreamin.

20. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Harden....

He's a superstar in the making, I think he's better then Westbrook, he doesen't deserve to be coming off the bench...

Ibaka is Ben Wallace 2.0.