1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pacers keep Hibbert

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by pacertom, Jul 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. pacertom

pacertom Member

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Any chance Blazers thow an offer sheet at Lopez?

3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Possible. Sure would throw a slight wrench in the NJ plans.

4. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Is he really worth that money?

Sure, he's big and has gotten better, but to me, he still seems kind of like a stiff at the offensive end at times.

I wish we could get DeMarcus Cousins and help him shape up.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Lopez is about to get the max in a deal with Orlando. I think Hibbert is more of an impact player than Lopez, don't you?

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Well it's actually the nets that have to sign Lopez and Orlando doesn't want Lopez at Max. Lopez wants it though

7. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I would agree. I guess I just figure you give the max to players like LeBron, Wade, Rose, etc...

Some of these contracts seems to be solely based on height with the big men.

I don't see Hibbert being a franchise player though.

8. pacertom

pacertom Member

Hibbert is probably worth 10 mil instead of 14 mil, but at the center position, pickings are very lean and another 10 M player wouldn't come close to replacing him.

Plus they have convinced him to not sign the Portland sheet, letting them keep his cap hold for awhile and allow other free agent signings, before his new deal kicks in, and add a 5th year.

John Hollinger ‏@johnhollinger
    If Pacers sign Hibbert w/o offer sheet, can tack on non-guaranteed 5th year and time signing to use rest of cap space first.

9. konver5ation

konver5ation Member

Expected. You cant let 7'3" with mid range skill walk in today's NBA. This is kinda bad news for us...

Portland becomes a great FA contender in 2013 even after matching Batum and with Lillard / Aldridge / Batum, I think that's the best spot for a FA big man like Bynum to land.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It's definitely overpaying him, but that isn't the issue. The Pacers decided losing Hibbert for nothing is worse than overpaying him.

11. pacertom

pacertom Member

Intangibles include the fact that he seems to be improving every year, works hard, has no injury issues or history of missing any games, is well-liked in the locker room, and is great in the community.

Before you laugh, intangibles matter, since the brawl almost killed the fan base of the franchise. Pacer fans now seem primed to return after being in wait-and-see mode right up to the postseason this year.

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Yep. As we know all too painfully, legit centers aren't so easy to replace.

13. arjun

arjun Member

i dont see them matching Batum. thats way too much money for him.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Same situation as Hibbert for the Pacers. IMO, there is a good chance the Blazers will match Batum's contract instead of letting him go for nothing. They have a massive amount of cap space to use. In fact, they have to worry about achieving the payroll minimum at this point and Luke Babbitt is the only SF left on their roster.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Roy also can be very lazy....

16. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

those guys should really be paid 30-40 mil based on alot of signings. i know thats not possible, but it was they are actully worth in wins

17. David Stern

David Stern Member

Morey get Dragic on the phone and give him the player option! Maybe it's not too late

18. Rox11

Rox11 Member

So in a case like this were a team matches, can the blazers give him a new offer for.more?

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Pacers might spoil Houston's prospect of doing a Courtney Lee S&T. They can delay the Hibbert and George Hill signings momentarily and basically use its own cap space to give Courntey Lee a good sized contract. Now if Lee chooses them and the two sides agree on a contract amount, there's nothing Houston can get from Indy.

It is said Indy is also interested in OJ Mayo, though. So I wonder if Lee is more of a backup plan.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Once the Blazers make an offer and Hibbert signs, it's over and the Pacers are in total control. If a team and a player reach a "verbal agreement", they can change anything they want before signature.

In this case, the Blazers verbally agreed to offer Hibbert the max. What new offer did you have in mind?