1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Rockets decline Boki's option

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by randerson153, Oct 30, 2004.

1. randerson153

randerson153 Contributing Member

Rockets decline Boki's option

Rockets decline Nachbar's option
    Move makes forward free agent after this season
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

RESOURCES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMING UP
    Tuesday:
    at Detroit, 7:00 p.m.

ROCKETS BY THE NUMBERS
    • Schedule • Movements
    • Roster • Depth chart
    • Chronicle story archive
    • Live NBA scores at a glance
    • NBA Playoffs 2004
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPORTS POLL
    Which team will win the NBA Championship?

San Antonio
    Houston
    Lakers
    Detroit
    Sacramento
    Miami
    Other

Bostjan Nachbar knew such bad news was possible, maybe even probable. He likely knew too much, making the issue too prevalent in his thoughts through the preseason.

But when he learned the Rockets had chosen not to pick up their option on a fourth season of his contract, he felt a strange mix of emotions.

He was disappointed and relieved, a combination that left the third-year forward determined to "prove to everybody that they made a wrong decision."

The 15th player chosen in the 2002 NBA draft, Nachbar will earn $1.49 million this season with the Rockets, the last year of his original deal with the team. The Rockets had the option to extend his contract one more season, which would have been worth $2.29 million. But Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson told Nachbar's agent, David Bauman, that the team opted not to pick up the fourth-year option.

Instead, Nachbar, 24, will become an unrestricted free agent after the season, though the Rockets do hold "Bird" rights to exceed the salary cap to keep him.

"It really is more about cap control," Dawson said. "It could be to his advantage. We love Boki. I think he will have opportunities right now to play well. If he has a great year it might cost us more when he becomes a free agent. He's playing well. He's got a chance to do very well. But right now, cap control is very valuable."

Nachbar, 6-9, has averaged 2.8 points in 59 games in his two seasons with the Rockets. He struggled through the preseason, making just 37 percent of his shots and 11.1 percent of his 3-pointers. But in the back-to-back games against the Spurs and Nuggets to end the preseason, he made four of five shots, including the only 3-pointer he attempted.

"Obviously, I feel a little disappointed," Nachbar said. "I was hoping to get an extension on the contract. It was a hard month for me. It was always on my mind. I wish they told me a month ago. But I'm not deeply disappointed so that I won't be focused. It's a really important week for us. That's what's on my mind. All that about the contract is behind me now.

"I didn't have a good preseason. I think I was playing too much to get the extension."

Common gamble
    The Rockets' decision to take that gamble has become increasingly common, particularly with the NBA facing labor negotiations.

The Rockets had picked up Yao Ming's fourth-year option before the start of training camp, but with Nachbar chose to evaluate his role. Though he began the preseason receiving consistent playing time, he failed to claim a certain place in the rotation.

Nachbar is in the Rockets' plans this season. But in the final two preseason games, when Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said he would use his regular-season rotation, Nachbar played 17 minutes against the Spurs but just nine against the Nuggets. Van Gundy said he has just seven players certain to hold a place in the rotation — a list that seems to exclude Nachbar — with the rest of the roster capable of playing extensively or not at all in any game.

"It's a business decision," Nachbar said. "I understand it's a business. It's happening all over the league. But that doesn't really make me feel any better.

"There's always the good side. The good side is, if I have a good year, I can do better. If there is a lockout, I might play in Europe for a few months. It might work out better for me. Right now, I'm happy it's over and out of my mind.

"About a week ago, my agent said I might not get an extension. I put it behind me and played more relaxed. I had a couple of better games. It helped me to know it was behind me. Before, it was always on my mind. I'm happy it's over."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

Rockets Summary
    Duality in team
    After an offseason packed with changes, the Rockets realized it would take time for this year's team to become a cohesive unit. That's why the players hardly panicked as they struggled to a 3-4 record during the preseason.

But with only three practices left before Tuesday's season opener at Detroit, the Rockets don't underestimate the amount of work they have ahead of them.

"Sometimes when you look on the floor, it just seems like two teams put together," forward Maurice Taylor said. "But at the same time, it's up to us to stay disciplined, and concentrate and really focus on the things we need to get better at — the chemistry, just knowing the spots to be at on the floor. I think that's the hardest thing right now.

"I think we have a lot of work to do as far as just tweaking some things to be more cohesive as a unit. I think that at times we look like we've been playing together a long time, and at times we look like we just started playing together."

Help arrives
    Just as coach Jeff Van Gundy expected, the return of Clarence Weatherspoon has boosted the Rockets defensively and on the boards.

The 6-7 power forward has been hampered by a right calf strain since last season and missed more than a week of training camp. But he was in the starting lineup against Denver on Thursday and ready to contribute. In 27 minutes, Weatherspoon pulled down 13 rebounds — a team high for a player during the preseason. He also scored nine points, hitting three of six from the field.

"I'm not 100 percent, but it's still a lot better than it was before the team left for China," Weatherspoon said. "But I'm rehabbing it and getting it stronger, doing exercises, getting it back strong so that I can have some mobility to jump and sprint with it. I'm working hard to get it strong."

-- MEGAN MANFULL

2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

We all saw that coming...nothign to be surprised about. Hopefully this will make him play a little harder knowing that he will be a free agent with no contract at the end of the year.

As long as we don't pull a Matt Moloney on him

3. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Contributing Member

They killed Boki...

You bastards!

4. hrockets2k

hrockets2k Member

Nice. Good Job. I like i like. :D

5. Friday

Friday Contributing Member

Maybe he'll start to play...

How do you say cut, and sign another Knick?

nefarious codependence?

Tyler Kick His A$$!

6. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

thank god we didnt pick up the option. boki is really pissing me off.

7. mirror_image

mirror_image Contributing Member

If Boki has a breakout year this season, I wouldn't mind offering him a lot more than $2.29 million next year. I hope that I can be a real Boki's fan!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#7 mirror_image, Oct 30, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

pissing you off??? why? because you thought he was good and he really isn't that good? you shouldn't be pissed at the guy...he is what he is.

9. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

If I'm not mistaken, it is not "options" for those guys are not picked up. They are negociating new contracts.

10. mirror_image

mirror_image Contributing Member

wireonfire, thanks for your correction. I made a mistake.:rolleyes:

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

nothing unexpected. t-mac on the otherhand... when will he sign that extension?

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

ok

If we pick up the option
    we pay him around 2.29 mil
    since we didn't
    If he has a break out year
    some team can offer him Boozer money
    and we lose him

is this the correct assumption?

Rocket River

13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I can see clearly now that Boki's gone.

14. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

adieu boki, adieu...

15. waelhakmeh

waelhakmeh Member

i'm not a boki hater, but this gives an idea of how much hope cd has left in boki :rolleyes:

16. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

As expected. No surprises for me.

17. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

that reminds me of that song, I can see clearly now that the rain/boki's gones its gonna be a bright bright sunshiney day.

I dont know man this just makes sad right now for some reason. I wish prosperity and happiness for everybody.

whoa what am I saying a mill and a half for one year is pretty damn prosperous.

#17 Texas Stoke, Oct 30, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  18. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

:(

he was our modern team icon

[​IMG]
    RIP

p.s: lakers will probably pick him up:eek:

19. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Yeah like they picked up Eddie Griffin. Oh by the way, Boki is not gone yet folks, he will still be here for another 7 months at least (save for drmatic trade involving him between now and the next trade window).

20. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

I'm not a doctor, and I'm not even playing one on this board, but......

How the heck does he have a strained calf since last season that hasn't healed?
    :confused: He says he's "working hard to get it strong", but since when? Since last season or since training camp started? Is this a hard injury to heal or did somebody do nothing about it over the summer?