1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

People with Satellite TVs may not watch Rockets-Spurs Game tonight!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by silvercatt, Oct 24, 2003.

1. silvercatt

silvercatt Contributing Member

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/10/24/solar.forecast/index.html

Effects of big solar flare reach Earth on Friday

By Marsha Walton
    CNN
    Friday, October 24, 2003 Posted: 11:55 AM EDT (1555 GMT)

CNN) -- Satellites, pagers, cell phones and electrical grids could be affected Friday afternoon by a powerful stream of energized gas and particles from the sun.

The coronal mass ejection, or CME, is expected to reach Earth about 3 p.m. EDT and its effects could last 12 to 18 hours, according to space weather forecasters.

The solar stream erupted from a cluster of sunspots on the surface of the sun. The giant dark patch, known as sunspot group 10484, has grown to the size of Jupiter in recent days and has migrated across the face of the sun to a position where it now faces Earth.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Space Environment Center in Boulder, Colorado, warns a number of industries when there is a major release of such hot bursts of solar gases, which usually take two to four days to reach Earth. This particular storm was detected Wednesday.

In the midst of these electromagnetic events, power companies often refrain from peak uploading and downloading of power across the grid. Airlines are also alerted, because some navigation systems may be affected.

Satellites are perhaps most affected by the solar activity.

"Satellites live and breathe in space; they are very vulnerable to solar activity," said Larry Combs, NOAA space weather forecaster. "They affect our banking systems, our TVs and cell phones, all the luxuries of life."

Combs said some operators will put their satellites into a stow, or a sort of "sleep" mode, during the highest impact of the electromagnetic activity.

In the past there have been major outages and interruptions of cell phone and pager service because of electromagnetic interference with orbiting communications satellites.

In 2000, one such solar blast briefly knocked out or created steering problems for numerous orbiting spacecraft.

"Sometimes satellites can be damaged beyond repair," said Combs. But there are hundreds of satellites in space now, most with some sort of backup possible.

Such geomagnetic storms can disrupt power grids as well. In 1989, one knocked out the main electrical utility in Quebec, Canada, plunging millions into darkness for hours and costing billions of dollars to fix

The CMEs can also have a biological effect on humans, so space forecasters do daily briefings that might affect any crews in space. For example, it would not be a good idea to do a space walk when a solar event is predicted.

Forecasters track the CMEs from the time they leave the sun, and as the material gets closer to Earth they observe spikes in X-rays and electromagnetic emissions.

Solar activity is rated, similar to the system for hurricanes or earthquakes, on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 as the most intense. The effects from this storm are expected to be classified 3, or moderate.

The magnetic storms can also produce spectacular nocturnal displays of the Northern lights; NASA's Space Weather Web site is predicting that auroras could be visible as far south as Oregon and Illinois.

Scientists made their first solar flare forecasts back in 1964. Since then a variety of instruments, both in space and on the ground, have improved their ability to track the activity.

"But like anything in nature, sometimes they don't act like we expect them to," Combs said.

Let's hope it doesn't effect my dishnetwork tv tonight! (praying)

2. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

Cable companies receive their signals from satellites also.

3. corbe

corbe Contributing Member

Is there no God?, Have yet to see Van Gurdy mad or Yao dunk this season,,,I'll be praying.

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Not claiming to be a astral-physicist or anything, but it's hard for me to imagine that with as many satellites which orbit earth and their economic importance that there isn't some built in redundancy. :confused:

At least, that's my positive spin since I have yet to see a Rockets game! :)

5. roswell raygun

If I have to miss the Rockets game, I might have a coronal mass ejection of my own. :(

6. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Here's a picture of what he's talking about dating back on Wednesday.

[​IMG]

7. aries323

aries323 Member

What Channel is the game on?

8. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

ESPN

9. tested911

tested911 Member

So are you saying if your signal is coming over the air-waves (Satellite or AnTenna (Ch 51) We will not be able to see the game unless we have cable?

That sux Big fake Trades :)

10. UTrocket

UTrocket Member

God I hope your right but if these flares are pelting the whole planet, none of the satellites would be spared.:(

11. Bobliu

Bobliu Member

It is on ESPN...... as long as you have cable that carries ESPN you are fine.

12. fietguy

fietguy Member

guys, where do you think the cable companies get their signals from?

satellite...and then its distributed to customers via cable...

cable systems would have the same risk

13. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

The cable companies get their signal from the satellite feeds as well. So if this indeed will be a problem, then, no one will be excempt!:D

14. AGBee

AGBee Member

Are you sure that there isn't a cable running from ESPN to the outside of my house?!?!

15. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Does "Coronal Mass Ejection" sound funny to y'all or am I just a pervo?

But if the sun screws up this game for us, I say we riot. Go put the sumbitch out or something.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

We could always end up blocking the Sun... Mr. Burns style. :D

That will show the cosmos not to mess with us and our Rockets game...!

17. wgray

wgray Member

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Yep, looking good. Let that damn coronal mass ejection come tomorrow....just not tonight :D