1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why do people buy ipad's over laptops???

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by aggie87, Dec 25, 2012.

1. aggie87

aggie87 Member

The ios is great for a cell phone but its pointless to use something like that at home when a laptop can do so much more and is easier and quicker to use. I guess its useful as an ereader but internet surfing and responding to emails is time consuming and annoying (relative to a laptop).

my entire department at work got ipads to cut down on paper costs, but even when I take it home, I rarely use it over my macbook pro.

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Because its easier to manage on the crapper

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Most ipad/tablet buyers already own multiple PC's. Rather than purchase a new PC, most consumers have bought tablets as companion devices for traveling.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Some people find iPads quicker and easier to use. Everyone's computing experience and needs are different.

5. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

I am on the road pretty much 100% of the time for work. I couldn't imagine lugging a personal laptop along with the work laptop

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I have a 3 pound laptop with quad cores and geforce 650m. It isn't that heavy.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Better for media consumption.

I probably use my tablet more than my laptop at home and of course for travel.

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Inferior Genitalia

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

They are good uses for an iPad. People who use it as a replacement laptop are iDiots. That is not what it is for. It's great for presentations and general web use, but it isn't a fully fledged laptop.

Now people who buy an iPad over a Surface RT, they are just r****ded.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

three pounds is three pounds, if you can't understand the added convenience of an iPad you are pretty stupid.

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

There are so many apps that you can replace a laptop if you travel a lot (like me). I pair it with a bluetooth keyboard.

I use an RDP Client for Remote Desktop to access company database. App called FileBrowser is better and FASTER access Shared Drives over VPN and both the PC or Laptop. I have 50 GBs of storage from Box (free), skydive, Dropbox for storage that I can move files around. I have a a few apps for PDF edit and notes. You can open files from in different apps if need be, but you do have to sometimes be creative with file management.

There apps that are office-like, but when MS finally release office for the iPad (February?), it can really start to replace the laptop for most uses.

Now, there are things I can't do on my iPad that I use my Macbook Pro for.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Most people don't do alot with their personal machines
    Hell . . I suspect the amount of PERSONAL email has plummetted
    unless you could what goes through facebook.

[I would be interested to see the amount of traffic through yahoo mail/hotmail/gmail/ etc
    versus what is was 10 yrs ago]

Most people surf the web . . . play non-complicated games and facebook
    That covers about . . .90% of personal computering

Gamers are a different group . . . so . .

Rocket River

13. Sajan

Sajan Member

because the average computer user is the facebook surfer, youtube watcher, angry birds player.

they don't need core i7 with the most powerful graphics card.

portability and ease of use is all they want.

14. Garner

Garner Member

As someone who happily endorses the superior product on the market, suggesting that the surface is superior to the ipad today is laughable.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They are better readers.

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

The best answer is...they like it. It's not superior technology, it's not more cost effective, it's not "better" in any objective way.

Just think of it as another luxury item, no one needs an ipad. They get it because they want it and that's okay.

17. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Convenience, battery lasts longer for the most part, lighter, and in most cases it is way faster at doing what you need

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

As long as you don't have to type stuff, a tablet is basically superior to laptop. And a lot of people really just want to watch movies, surf the net, and read books. I've been doing a lot of bed time reading ever since I got an ipad.

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

iPad is quicker, I can use it for 2 days with out putting it on the charger, it crosses as my remote, alarm clock radio etc... It's just more convenient than a laptop.

My iPad does not take the place of my lap top. Working spread sheets, multitasking etc is definitely best on my laptop.

20. duwende

duwende Member

It has revolutionized the squat n' surf. Everyone's ipad is usually in the bathroom amirite??