1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MAC HelP!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Felixthecat, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

I installed a beta copy of FL Studio 11 on my wife's MacBook Air. It kept freezing up on me so I uninstalled the program. After I removed the program, the computer became unresponsive, so I had to force shut down. When I restarted it, it went to a white screen with the apple logo, then just turned off and that's as far as I get. I tried to repair the disc, but it says it can't repair.

Any suggestions?

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I didn't know that FL studio was available on Mac. Probably was a bad idea to install the beta, Image-Line's software can tend to act up at times. I've been using FL Studio for over six years now, so I'm very familiar with it on Windows. Did you have to use some type of emulator?

3. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I was a bit surprised to read this, I had no idea FL was on a Mac either so I looked it up. Apparently they made a custom beta and wrapped it in Crossover.

Maybe it's an issue w/ Crossover but it's out of my league. I've never even bothered trying/using Crossover stuff; I just run them in a Windows VM instead.

Might help to share what model Air and which version of OS X you're using.

4. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

err the problem is i never trust anything that is in BETA stage. theirs a reaosn they tell you its in this particular stage

5. Felixthecat

Yes...As soon as I opened I could tell things were not right. I've used FL Studio since its Fruity loops days and love the program. I was excited to try it out on MAC, but it ended up blowing up in my face. The worst part is this is my wife's work laptop and now I feel like a total douche.

BTW...It was on a DMG file, so it was supposed to just run like an app.

I'm a windows guy, so I'm totally lost. :confused:

6. Felixthecat

This is the info from the back of the box. Not sure how to check the specs on the actual laptop...I can't access anything anyway.

MacBook Air 13" Model A1466 1.3GHz/4GB/128GB Flash storage.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I second the PRAM zap, as it could be a residual setting from the bad install that is causing the fubar. Also, might try to see if it boots in safe mode, just to see if it's an addition that is causing the trouble (hold shift after chime).

How did you try to repair the disk? Do you have Disk Warrior? Also, do you have another mac, where you can try to boot the Air in target mode? At least this way you could back up your files until things get sorted out.

Still, if you are'nt comfortable troubleshooting this thing, you'll be pushing your luck past these suggestions, in all probability.

9. Felixthecat

Thanks, didn't work.

I used command R and used the utility to repair. I also tried safemode and nothing. I don't have another mac either.

We will be turning it in to the district IT department later this week.

Gonna be in the doghouse for a while guys....:grin:

Thanks for the help.

10. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

well, you should boot from startup / install disks to repair, as technically you shouldn't repair a disk from which the OS is running... but if you're already in the doghouse, and have someone lined up to fix it, that's probably your safest bet at this point, though I would still recommend getting files backed up if you can. Again, booting in Target mode would be good for that... but you'd need another working mac to boot it from.