1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We Don't Really Need a Power Forward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by glynch, May 28, 2004.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Everyone says we need a power forward. It would be nice, but I don't think it is critical.

My reasoning is that with Yao and Mo and Cato we are already a power team. I didn't see that the Rockets were badly beaten on the boards by anyone on a consistent basis. In the Laker's series we held Malone and Shaq largely in check. We certainly did a better job against Shaq than San Antonio or Minnesota has done. This was no mean feat. The Lakers look like they will win it all to me. San Antonio and Minnesota are not doing any better than we did. No need to panic.

While it would be ideal to have one guy who has the defense of Cato and the scoring of Mo, it isn't absolutely necessary. Another athletic big time scorer off the bench who can create his own shot and we probably could have won that series. Could that person be a power forward type? Certainly. It could just as easily be a guard or small forward type, a Nick Van Exel or a Jerry Stackhouse.

Of course we could upgrade the team at point guard or scoring guard (let's fantasize about T-Mac) or for that matter power forward, but the point is that we need at least one more impact, playoff type offensive player and it is not essential to tear up the whole team because it has to be a power forward, if that proves hard to get. Get that impact playoff type player, be it a guard or forward.

With the trade exception is shouldn't be that hard to get that player.

2. rvolkin

rvolkin Contributing Member

Two of those three are two of the softest big men in the NBA. And Cato is only strong on the defensive side of the ball. Power Forward wise, we are at the bottom of the league talent-wise

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I agree, Cato is our only Power Player.

4. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

if Cato could shoot a jump shot i'd agree with you, but he can't. This is the area i want to see addressed most this summer. I'd like to see Cato back in the backup 5 role.

5. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

We really need to upgrade the PF position with something or someone who can provide rebounding and defense.

Wait, isn't that the strengths of EG? Isn't he looking for another chance on the NBA? Wouldn't he come at a very cheap price and allow Cato to return to his position of strength as the backup C?

Now I am all for trying to get someone like Brand but that is most likely a pipe dream. I say give EG a small performance laden contract with little guaranteed money. Let him show his stuff in the summer leagues and training camp. If he can keep his nose clean and stay out trouble plus show that he can still contribute on the court...then so much the better....if not then we are not out a bunch of cap space.

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Hey I like the EG idea myself. However, let's hire John Lucas as an assistant also. He could double as EG's substance abuse counselor and Steve's point guard coach. I see Lucas is already working with EG.

Hopefully JVG is not too stubborn to to this.

7. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree the other impact scorer doesn't need to be a power forward. In fact, I think it's best if that other punch comes from the wing, which opens things up for Yao.

We can make do with a C. Wilcox or Stro Swift. Yao is going to create a lot of uncertainty, that a reasonably-skilled help forward can exploit. IF that guy is smart and can hit mid-range, even better.

I like the idea of Lucas as an assistant. I think that'd be a good role for him. Saw him at lunch the other day. He looked good, not particularly busy. He's a motivational guy - not a good head coach, but maybe a good balance to Mr. Sourpuss.

If we get a rehab guy out of that, ok, super. I'm more interested in the yin/yang , him pumping Yao and the rest of the new team up to play higher.

8. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nothing personal Dennis, but EG was a terrible defender. Good shot blocker, yes. But defender no. I remember solid and savy power forwards abusing him regularly and immediaetly. Rudy had to put Mo Taylor in to stop the runaway train. Mo Taylor for for XXX sake. I don't know, maybe shooting his girlfriend and meeting new friends in rehab has toughened up his game, but I doubt it.

Second, why would EG accept a non guaranteed contract? The answer is because nobody else will offer him a better contract. As long as he is not getting paid, he will want to go to the team where he has the best chance to play and demonstrate that he has gotten it together. Why would he pick Houston, where there are not one but at least two power forwards looking to take his minutes if he falters. Go for the cash, or go to a team with virtually no PF options.

9. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

If the team stays where its at right now, all we need is a powerforward and a backup pg.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, how much we need out of the PF spot is dependent on what the rest of the team look like. If the Bulls can build a dynasty with the likes of Longley, Cartright, and Wellington at center, the Rockets can definitely live with the Cato/Taylor Combo at PF. So I don't think it's an absolute need that we can't do without. How we do in the frontcourt be much more dependent on how much Yao progresses than anything else. Cato and Taylor can both be good role players. But the stars have to shine if we are to make any noise next year.

11. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Agreed. EG was a horrible defender. I can't believe people are still so stuck on this guy.

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Sorry, I don't agree with the premise at all. Cato is far to inadequate on offense and Mo on defense/rebounding. If you had them all in 1 player that would be great, but it doesn't work that way. Almost invariably, whoever is put in the 4 spot hurts a major part of the Rockets game.

Our 4 spot might not be as problematic if we had someone like Marion or KG or Kenyon to play the 3--someone who could play the small forward but could compensate for a lot of the weaknesses in the 4 spot, or a 5 like Hakeem Olajowon, but we have a player like that either in the 5 or 3. Instead we have an outstanding but finese oriented and unathletic and non-physically intimidating 5 plus an undersized 3 who is more of an extra guard in the former Elie role (Jim Jackson) or we have unathletic, unimposing SFs (Boki, Pike, Padget).

Overall, you have to say the Rockets have the least physically challenging, least athletic front line in the league (you can't count Cato as athletic because he is too inept in some areas to make his athleticsm count over heavy starter minutes), and that is a problem. The quickest way to address many of the Rockets shortcummings is bring in a PF who actually creates match-up advantages through some combination of speed, strength, size and agility.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If we can suck Taylor's offense out from him (and discard him to the nearest dumpster) and infuse it into Cato, then, yeah, we don't need another PF.

14. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

or inject some defense and rebounding in Mo

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I agree. They certainly don't need a new PF for defensive purposes. That leaves offense. Do they need to score more? Yes. Does the scoring have to come from the PF position? Why would it?

16. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

I don't think so. We were always killed by opponent powerford
    because Cato was slow and couldn't defend the perimeter.
    We need a real defensive-minded powerforward.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

They can't defend against the athletic mobile power forwards. Cato is a center. He's great on help side defense but if the opposing four can take him away from the basket, he really is a liability since you can't count on him on the offensive end.

18. Ying Yang

Ying Yang Member

A threatening Power Forward is needed who can play on both ends of the court. He must be one that demands the double team when he is in the scoring mode. This is required so as to open up a path for Yao Ming. If both are doubled then T Mc G can have a field day.

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Looking at the points allowed this season, the Rockets weren't really 'killed' by anyone. Defense is not an area that needs work.

20. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Did you check how many pts were scored by the opponent power forward?
    I didn't check that. But I remember many games when Cato and Mo were
    burned by so-so power forward. Our defense against PGs were not great too.