1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Football "Rate My Draft" Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by DonnyMost, Aug 19, 2014.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

12 team league
    50 yards per point passing
    4 points passing TDs (all other TDs 6)
    10 yards per point rushing
    10 yards per point receiving
    Position list: QB, RB, RB, W/T, W/T, W/T, K, DEF

1. (3) Peyton Manning (Den - QB)
    2. (18) Giovani Bernard (Cin - RB)
    3. (23) DeMarco Murray (Dal - RB)
    4. (38) Vincent Jackson (TB - WR)
    5. (43) Victor Cruz (NYG - WR)
    6. (58) Roddy White (Atl - WR)
    7. (63) Toby Gerhart (Jax - RB)
    8. (78) Julian Edelman (NE - WR)
    9. (83) Vernon Davis (SF - TE)
    10. (98) Joique Bell (Det - RB)
    11. (103) Tony Romo (Dal - QB)
    12. (118) Maurice Jones-Drew (Oak - RB)
    13. (123) DeAndre Hopkins (Hou - WR)
    14. (138) Kansas City (KC - DEF)

Don't have a kicker yet, gonna wait for pre-season to finish before finally cutting someone to pick one up.

Basic strategy: Solid depth everywhere with old man potato head leading the way. My draft went a little sideways when someone nabbed Demaryius Thomas one pick before me in round 2. I also missed a chance to get late value like Shane Vereen and Darren Sproles in round 7 when I stupidly took Gerhart instead (praying for 300 carries), but otherwise, quite happy.

#1 DonnyMost, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

To me, this is a strong draft. You have 4 very solid RBs to go with QB1. I wouldn't be surprised if Gerhart finished as a top 15 back. I don't think you'll see many 100+ yard games, but I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up with a decent amount of 75-1 type lines. Joique is a tremendous value in the 9th. He racks up RB2 yardage in the 2nd half of games.

The only critique I would have is that I'm not very confident in Cruz this year, or White for that matter, but White in the 6th round is hard to pass up, especially if he's going to be working out of the slot this year.

3. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Yahoo pro league
    10 team league- auction draft
    standard scoring

Qb: Matt Ryan
    Wr: Julio Jones/Alshon Jeffrey/Marques Colston
    Rb: DeMarco Murray/Montee Ball
    Te: Dennis Pitta
    K: Justin Tucker
    D/st: Tampa Bay

Bench:
    Reggie Bush
    Terrance Williams
    Joique Bell
    Rueben Randle
    DeAndre Hopkins
    Steven Ridley

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

'

You're a contender as long as Matty Ice and Julio can get back to form.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yahoo 10 Team Pro League
    Standard Draft
    Standard Scoring

1. (10) Drew Brees (NO - QB)
    2. (11) Dez Bryant (Dal - WR)
    3. (30) Rob Gronkowski (NE - TE)
    4. (31) Andre Ellington (Ari - RB)
    5. (50) Mike Wallace (Mia - WR)
    6. (51) C.J. Spiller (Buf - RB)
    7. (70) Shane Vereen (NE - RB)
    8. (71) Julian Edelman (NE - WR)
    9. (90) Bernard Pierce (Bal - RB)
    10. (91) Justin Hunter (Ten - WR)
    11. (110) Fred Jackson (Buf - RB)
    12. (111) Josh Gordon (Cle - WR)
    13. (130) Ladarius Green (SD - TE)
    14. (131) Kansas City (KC - DEF)
    15. (150) Connor Barth (TB - K

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Lots of questionmarks, but with uncertainty comes potential. I've seen teams get carried very far by a receiving corp before. You may have to do some dumpster diving at RB to really contend. Watch those waivers.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm pretty firm believer in Zero RB. Especially when you're picking last.

My biggest risk was going Gronk. I think he makes or breaks the team. I hated taking Spiller but he was the only decent back left at that slot according to my board. At least I was able to handcuff him with FJax. I tried to stick to BPA throughout the draft.

Gordon was too tempting to pass up late, here's hoping Roger caves under the pressure and only slaps an 8 game ban on him.

8. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I don't think you had a good draft.

I don't like Gronk in the 3rd round. I'm in a few pro leagues, and he's been consistently drafted in the 4th round. It's only been 8 months since he tore his ACL right? Don't most players need at least a year to fully recover? IIRC, rotoworld said he was still running with a decent limp. It reminds me of RG3 last season. And Ladarius Green as a safety net is pretty weak.

I also don't like Mike Wallace as your WR2 in the 5th round. That's way too early. In my leagues, he's been drafted in the 7th or 8th round. He's the type of player who I like as the first WR on the bench.

Bernard Pierce in the 9th round is also too early. In my leagues, he's consistently been drafted in the 11/12th rounds. I was able to get him in the 15th round in one of my leagues.

I had the 10th pick in one of my leagues. I came away with:

Cam Newton (7), Jay Cutler (12)
    Doug Martin (3), Ryan Mathews (5), Pierre Thomas (10), MJD (11)
    Demaryius Thomas (1), Dez Bryant (2), R. Cobb (4), M. Crabtree (6), D. Hopkins (13)
    Greg Olsen (9)
    San Francisco (8)

I think my only mistake was picking a defense way too early. Also, one owner went RB/RB/RB with his first 3 picks and ended up with a weak receiving core so I traded him Cobb/Mathews for Ellington/Torrey Smith. Overall, I think it's a contender.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Well the difference there is that you're basing my picks on general ADP and not the draft board I am using for my rankings. I'm taking BPA based on my board where guys like Wallace, Edelman, and Pierce are higher on my board than most others.

Gronk is participating in 11 on 11s now and should be ready for Week 1. LaDarius Green was a bit of a disappointment as Jordan Reed and Zach Ertz went a few picks before, but I think he has the potential to put up stats as Gates continues to struggle with injuries and declines.

I wish I could have gone Dez/Demaryius in my league as you did. That would have been ideal. Your WRs are going to destroy. Cam/Cutler seems like a good rotation at QB. Your RBs aren't terribly strong, so trading for Ellington was a very shrewd move.

#9 moestavern19, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  10. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Why does that matter? If you can most likely get Mike Wallace in the 6th round (since he's been drafted in rounds 7/8 in all of my leagues (7 so far)), why use a 5th round pick to get him?

RG3 played in week 1 last season, but he wasn't remotely close to the player he was in the prior season.

Is Heath Miller available in your league?

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I understand your philosophy of assigning value based on general ADP, but that is irrelevant to my strategy.

Wallace is the best player available on my board with the last pick of the 5th, my next pick isn't until the last pick of the 7th round. He could have been available there, but I stick to my board and draft based on the rankings I'm using.

Also, Adrian Peterson nearly broke the single season rushing record after tearing his ACL.

12. mug

mug Member

Two Yahoo 10 Team Pro Leagues

Team A
    1. (9) Demaryius Thomas (Den - WR)
    2. (12) Jimmy Graham (NO - TE)
    3. (29) Aaron Rodgers (GB - QB)
    4. (32) Alfred Morris (Was - RB)
    5. (49) Michael Floyd (Ari - WR)
    6. (52) Ray Rice (Bal - RB)
    7. (69) Ryan Mathews (SD - RB)
    8. (72) Kendall Wright (Ten - WR)
    9. (89) Brandin Cooks (NO - WR)
    10. (92) Josh Gordon (Cle - WR)
    11. (109) Carlos Hyde (SF - RB)
    12. (112) Terrance West (Cle - RB)
    13. (129) Matt Prater (Den - K)
    14. (132) Cecil Shorts III (Jax - WR)
    15. (149) Tampa Bay (TB - DEF)

Team B
    1. (6) Matt Forte (Chi - RB)
    2. (15) DeMarco Murray (Dal - RB)
    3. (26) Andre Ellington (Ari - RB)
    4. (35) Randall Cobb (GB - WR)
    5. (46) Michael Floyd (Ari - WR)
    6. (55) Jordan Cameron (Cle - TE)
    7. (66) Matt Ryan (Atl - QB)
    8. (75) Julian Edelman (NE - WR)
    9. (86) Shane Vereen (NE - RB)
    10. (95) Josh Gordon (Cle - WR)
    11. (106) Justin Hunter (Ten - WR)
    12. (115) St. Louis (StL - DEF)
    13. (126) Jeremy Hill (Cin - RB)
    14. (135) Matt Prater (Den - K)
    15. (146) Ronnie Hillman (Den - RB)

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Yahoo 10 Team Pro League (6th Pick)
    Standard Draft
    Standard Scoring

Andrew Luck (9), Jay Cutler (11)
    Alfred Morris (3), Frank Gore (5), Toby Gerhart (6), Bishop Sankey (7), Bernard Pierce (12)
    Calvin Johnson (1), Brandon Marshall (2), Larry Fitzgerald (4), Mike Wallace (8)
    Heath Miller (13)
    Kansas City (10), New England (14)

What do you guys think? I plan on streaming QB's based on matchups.

14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I'm not a fan of this team. Ray Rice isn't a guaranteed workhorse when he returns so your RB2 will be in a RBBC, and you didn't compensate by having a strong receiving core. This team is too reliant on star power and lacks depth. You're going to need some luck if you want to win week 4 (Thomas/Floyd's Bye), 6 (Graham's Bye) and 9 (Rodgers' Bye).

Do you plan on trading Ellington or Murray for some WR depth?

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Not a big believer that Sankey will amount to anything, and I don't know why anyone would draft a 2nd defense, however that being said I like Gerhart and Pierce this year and I believe Wallace will be a steal.

16. mug

mug Member

Yes, hoping Ellington breaks out for a trade for a better WR1 using him or Murray. Depending on what happens with Gordon my WR's look a lot better, I'm betting he doesn't get suspended all 16 games.

17. mug

mug Member

Great WR's but RB's are a little weak, don't like Gore at all this year. Bernard was a nice pick in the 12th.

18. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

12 team league, with bonuses for long TDs and large yardage amounts. Also, return yards count for individual.

4 RBs Max, 4 WR Max, have to have backup QB and TE (I hate that) and only 5 bench spots.
    QB- RGIII, Cutler
    RB-Lesean Mccoy, Leveon Bell, Montee Ball, Joique Bell
    WR-Cordarrelle Patterson, Emmanuel Sanders, Michael Floyd, Kendall Wright
    TE-Rob Gronkowski, Zach Ertz

19. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I generally leave myself one flexible roster spot so I can add/drop free agency players as needed. The first time I'll need it is for week 6 (Kansas City DST Bye week). The Patriots have an above average defense, and they play the Bills in week 6.

Also, since Houston/Arizona/Chicago DST's were later drafted, I knew the Patriots DST wouldn't last long in free agency. That's why I picked it up in the 14th round.

Yeah, I'm trying to trade Sankey. One owner's RB core is D.Martin/M.Ingram/D.McFadden, and another has G.Bernard/P.Thomas/F.Jackson/S.Ridley. So there's potential.

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Gordon will be suspended at least 8 games. However, since Team A is too reliant on star power, you might be out of playoff contention by the time Gordon comes back.

Also, I wouldn't wait to trade Ellington or Murray. I'd do it ASAP. I think most owners would be reluctant to trade an elite wide receiver without first waiting a few weeks, and you don't want a valuable player sitting on your bench for that long.