1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014: The Division - Expectations

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket River, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Colts have been 14-2 in games decided by less than a TD in recent times. It's only a matter of time before that bubble bursts - the pixie dust has to wear off eventually.
    They lost one of their starting guards but added some weapons for Luck to toss to.
    Tennessee - don't know much about them.
    Jags - If Bortles is decent they will be better than last year. They have been building a D over there so could surprise.
    Texans - Improved across the board but still have a question mark over the key position.

2. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I reckon we take our home game and break the hoodoo against the Colts - we were damn unlucky not to beat them last year.

3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Colts 12-4 ( 5-1) losing in Houston
    Texans 10-6 (4-2) losing to Indy and Jacksonville
    Jaguars 8-8 ( 2-4)
    Titans 6-10 (1-5)

4. Remii

Remii Member

Agree with you on Indy... Good to have a stud quarterback though and he's going to have to carry that team for them to make the playoffs this season.

Tennessee can point to Fitzpatrick and weak offensive line play as the reason they didn't win 9-10 games last season. Locker was looking like he was starting to "get it" before he got hurt last season. They beefed up their line but I'm not sure about the RB position. Ken Whisenhunt has been good with quarterbacks and they have a very good receiving core and Zach Mettenburger looks darn good and ready to go if Locker can't do it. They may can make a move if Indy slips up.

The Jags may "possibly" have the best defense in this division right now...

The Texans have star power and big names but this is not a basketball team. And the team is depending on a good number of their big name players to stay healthy and return to pro bowl caliber form (Foster, Cushing, J-Jo). Have some young new blood so anything can happen. May just not happen how we would want.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If I was going to guess on actual records I'd say

Colts 9-7
    Texans 8-8
    Titans 7-9
    Jaguars 5-11

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Is this the year we finally win at Indy? It's never been done before...

7. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I don't see them going 14-2. They still have oline issues and defense hasn't improved either. We also don't know what they will get in the running game. Trent might be a bust.

8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

This is not the NFC East lol

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not much talent + easy schedules = similar mediocre records.

10. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Could be right

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

We tied for first in the division after 1 game!
    HURRAY!

Anyone ReEvalutating their Expectations?

I am still saying 10-6
    Now I am thinking we can win the division with 10-6

Rocket River

12. nef2005

nef2005 Member

With Mathis out for the remainder of the year with a torn achillies, the Colts pass rush should be tepid at best. Unless Luck can carry them to 9-10 victories the division seems to be between the Titans and Texans.

Did not see that one coming.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Colts also have the 1st place schedule.

The real surprise for me was Jax and Ten. Both looked pretty good and Ten went into to Arrowhead and got a win. May have underestimated them.

14. conquistador#11

they keep nailing luck even when he completes a pass and not mathis, their best defensive player last year is now out for the entire year.

15. Remii

Remii Member

Oh no... I definitely don't see Indy going 14-2. Maybe 8-12 wins.

And there may not be a "might be" when it comes to Trent. At the position he was drafted and the amount of production he's given _ he's a bust. But of course he may can turn it around. I remember Jim Brown was saying Cleveland made a mistake when they drafted him. Don't know why Indy traded for him but they still have Bradshaw (if he can stay on the field). Luck has a lot more receiving options this year as well so they probably won't lean on the run game.

Indy plays Denver and New England... The Texans play Oakland and Buffalo... Tennessee plays Kansas City and the NY Jets. Jacksonville plays San Diego and Miami. Other than those two teams they play _ the other 14 games are against the same opponents but the Texans do have the easier of the two. But a two game difference doesn't seem like a huge advantage on the schedule unless you consider both teams being equal... Because one team in the division could possibly beat the other team(s) in the division twice to make up for those two different games.

But yea, Tennessee is off to a good start. Maybe the Texans too if Washington can beat some of the other teams in the AFC south.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The expectations should be a lot higher with Mathis out for the season, the division is wide open, it's doubtful anyone gets 10 wins.

17. rullrich

rullrich Member

In an average season I'd quell my expectations to 8-8 or so but looking at our schedule there's only 5 games I'm slightly less confident we'll compete -

Colts
    Steelers
    Eagles
    Bengals
    Colts

Everything else? I'd be disappointed if we can't at least compete if not win. Bills, Cowboys, Jags, Titans, Browns, Ravens, Giants, Raiders? I just can't see those mediocre offenses score a lot against our defense. Our offense would be what I'd be concerned about and even that was somewhat exciting to watch against Washington.

10-6. I think that's a reasonable expectation even if we're not a 10-6 team just yet.

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Colts will win around 9 games...it'll come down to the Texans and Colts tiebreaker for who takes the division crown.

The Titans will be in the mix too...they looked very good on Sunday.

The Jags are horrible. That 17-0 halftime lead was fool's gold. Foles turned the ball over 3 times and gave the Jags great field position. The 2nd half was closer to reality where the Eagles reeled off 34 points to the Jags 0.

19. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I would honestly love it if we got to 7-9 or 8-8 this year. The team is making huge improvements from last year, and I think the guys will be very driven come next year.

Hopefully BOB trumps my expectations.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

The colts almost beat the Broncos with Luck playing a bad half and with no Mathis.