1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Mallett close to being a Texan...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Progs, May 8, 2014.

1. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

It's like trying to sell a house or car - you start high and raise expectations, then move down when necessary.
    They are hoping that more than one team wants him and will then play one against the other.
    They would likely settle for a third, but you would have to be pretty desperate to pay that much.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but when you list your 1987 Hyundai Stellar for 900K all you are doing is making people laugh at you. That's pretty analogous to asking for a 1st for Mallett

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is terrible. This is a simple fact that seems to elude most in this thread. He was never good in the nfl and he never will be.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Our QB's are terrible as well. Which ones are worse? I'd be willing to find out for a 7th with a performance based escalation draft pick up to 5th to find out. Those are throw away picks anyway, especially under Rick Smith.

5. MSBRockets

MSBRockets Member

I agree with this.

New England has made the most out of every "asset" they have had. It's remarkable. Off the top of my head.. I can't think of anyone who left NE and became a noticeably better player. They all seem to decline or just stay relevant.

I think BOB has done a great job coaching up our guys, but its not logical to think that BOB is going to turn Mallett into a top 15 or top 10 NFL QB (even top 30 really). Although Fitz is not that, its obvious he is also just a stopgap. Any involvement with Mallett would bring expectations from the fans that just aren't realistic.

There are no answers at QB this season. Its Fitz.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Wasting picks to go from terrible QB to terrible QB is a pretty terrible idea.

7. Fantasma Negro

Exactly, with the draft class stacked with qbs why hamstring yourself to a talentless bench scrub? And waste a draft pick while you're at it. Bad idea. If he gets cut and OB thinks he can pick up the system quicker than Tom2 then its fine but to actually expend energy and future draft resources to acquire him through a transaction after seeing with your own eyes during this and last preseason that he is pure garbage, is a terrible idea

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Could have at least got your backup of the Future
    which I guess Savage is . . .

Rocket River

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fitx is better than Mallet. You can argue that Case could be as well but you can call it a push for argument sake. This whole Mallet phenomena is just a case of the grass is always greener.

And just because 7th round picks have a low probability doesn't mean you just throw them away willy nilly. Actually, texans have had some decent 7th rounders as far as backups are concerned. David Anderson served his purpose, zac diles added depth as did Troy Nolan. Dorin Dickerson has managed to on some rosters even though he wasn't able to produce outside of the preseason here

10. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

If Matt McGloin and Ryan Mallet are both waived, who do you feel like O'Brian would want. Huge Keenum fan, but he just isn't getting it done here. I think based off of him beating the Texans last year, I think McGloin might be better.

11. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How so? At the very least they're equally as bad. We try so damn hard not to be homers, that sometimes it clouds our judgement. Any garbage that gets dropped off from teams is instantly better than what we currently have. Mallett is garbage and McGloin is another undersized QB. Hopefully Ponder gets cut. Because that is definitely better than anything we have. Go with a body of work. Don't hang you're hopes on unproven garbage talent.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

McGloin is a funny name.

13. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

LOL...yup...and I'm not even sure if I'm spelling it correctly. lol.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>At this point, QB Ryan Mallett is still on the <a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#Patriots">#Patriots</a> roster. If he’s cut, the <a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#Texans">#Texans</a> are expected to claim him. Hasn’t happened yet tho</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/505809108079886336" data-datetime="2014-08-30T20:07:43+00:00">August 30, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

Breaking News - Ryan Mallet close to being a Patriot.

16. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

hahaha, so true.