1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TECH HELP] New Modem

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FlyerFanatic, Dec 31, 2014.

Tags:
  1. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

can anyone point me towards a new modem i can buy that will allow me to avoid the stupid rental fee TWC charges?

been meaning to do this for awhile now..

problem is i need one that will work with our phone too...its all connected..the ones i've seen suggested i don't think hook up with your phone.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I believe you can buy any from this list:

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

This modem from Best Buy says telephony adaptor with battery backup.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfinity-arris-touchstone-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-and-wireless-router-with-telephony-adapter/9082028.p?id=1219405801606&skuId=9082028

This article will tell you how:

http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2014/06/want-to-use-your-own-modemrouter-with-comcast-heres-how/#24139101=0

Good luck!

#2 NewRoxFan, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  3. what

what Member

When the speeds increase your modem will be outdated, that's the only problem I see. You spend 200.00 bucks for a modem and by the time it pays for itself it'll be outdated.

The rental fee is usually about 5 bucks so you need what like 4 years before you see any benefit.

IMO you don't buy a modem to avoid the fees you buy a cable modem for performance only.

4. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

5. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

right....really its all around best to upgrade/buy my own...probably would see a performance increase and the modem pays for itself.

problem is looks like the modems with telephone cost quite a bit...only really seeing one or two for $100+

also some of those rental fees are going up...part of the reason it reminded me to look into this. saw an article that said starting next week comcast is bumping the price to $10 (i'm not sure if TWC, is or not)

this isn't really for me as much as my parents...i'd tell em to get rid of the telephone with TWC and just use their cell phones then buy the one chow recommended ...but my parents are ones who still tend to use the house phone quite a bit still. thus they still need the phone.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

TWC uses VOIP. Just switch to a VOIP carrier that doesn't require special hardware. Ooma is a pretty good solution.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Never mind... have no idea about phones, never had to deal with VOIP.

#7 RedRedemption, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Replaced my TW modem with a Motorola SB6141 a few months ago. Didn't see much of a bump in speed since the TW rented modem I was replacing was kinda decent. The savings on my bill was more than the rental fee since there were some % of BS add on fees associated with it.

9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Never listen to what.

My setup is a Motorola SB6141. You can find them new for $70 on eBay. After a year, you've recouped your modem rental fees. And being DOCSIS 3.0, you've future-proofed yourself for years.

For VOIP phone service, I use an Ooma Telo, like Space Ghost mentioned. They run about $120 for a unit, you pay about $4 in fees per month, and you can port an old number for $40, I think.

Alternatively, you can get an ObiHai adapter, set it up with Google Voice. Those units cost about $40. Not sure how much it costs to port an old number. In my opinion, Ooma is easier to setup. ObiHai to Google Voice adds another step that I didn't bother to figure out, but if the cost savings are worth it to you, I'd try it. I didn't because ObiHai's future service with Google Voice was uncertain at the time.

If you really do need a modem with phone line, not sure what modems to suggest. I think paying TWC for a phone line is ridiculous since there are cheaper VOIP options (Voice Over IP is how all ISPs work now so the service is identical).

10. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

since this is the same type of topic let me ask this in here as well..

whats the easiest way of going about getting the HD channels in other rooms tvs besides our main one?

EDIT: let me clean this up a bit...question above is the jist of it...but more clearly:

is there a way to get the channels we get downstairs through our DVR/cable box in other rooms outside of getting another set top box and having to pay the rental fee?

right now, we just have cable being split and i get like channels 2-70...and no HD channels.

#10 FlyerFanatic, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015