1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul Millsap or Al Jefferson?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Furious Jam, Nov 9, 2012.

?

Paul Millsap or Al Jefferson - who would be the better Rocket?

1. Paul Millsap

137 vote(s)
    49.6%
  2. Al Jefferson

139 vote(s)
    50.4%
  1. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

ESPN Insider ran an article today about how the Jazz should consider trading Millsap or Jefferson given that they are both free agents this summer and the Jazz have young, lotto picks at their positions waiting on the bench.

If the Rockets had their pick between the two, which would you prefer? Who would fit best with our current assets?

2. nono

nono Member

Al Jefferson you'd have to offer the max. Paul Millsap is currently making $8m per year. So we would most likely be able to get him below the max. The problem though is that neither player makes us a contender. However, there aren't any free agents next year that will make us contenders anyways.

Which power forwards would instantly make this team a contender ? Either Kevin Love or Aldridge. Neither of these players will ever be traded to us though. So really, there is little to hope for. I'd rather just give money to Millsap. He'd help us in the short term a bit and could be a good trade asset down the road to get a franchise player.

2 people like this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Ive come to believe that we need a strong PnR guy, like a young version of Stoudemire. I know thats not Al's game. Someone else more familiar with Milsap's can chime in on this point but same for him if he is not which regresses to neither player in that case.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i actually like Milsap slightly better (I'm biased for tough-nosed players who play defense and dominate the boards), but I think Jefferson would be a better fit for this team because of his ability to play center. We need some offensive ability at the center position to balance out Asik's offensive inability. I think the two would actually compliment each other very well. Plus, Jefferson is a true 4/5 so he doesn't have to come out of the game when we want to bring Asik in. I don't think either Milsap or Jefferson are the 2nd franchise player compliment to Harden though.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

You forgot about the third favorite non-Rocket on here in F Josh Smith.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

7. nono

nono Member

I agree. Unicef would be a good sponsor for this team.

8. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Paul Millsap.

Better midrange game and better defender

9. duteman

duteman Member

in this case whoever is cheaper. Millsap is the ultimate big utility man while Al Jefferson is the man that needs the ball it seems. Millsap because he's cheaper and doesn't demand the ball to make the team better.

10. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Hate to break it to you all, but Josh Smith will be wearing Rockets' red by the deadline. That is how we will attract CP3 or Dwight. Harden and Smith plus everyone else.

11. onreego

onreego Member

Please, say no to Josh Smith.

From those 2, I would go with Al and start him with Asik. Jefferson would give the team the post presence they need while Asik will make up for Al's defensive deficiencies.

12. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

None of the above.

13. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Neither. Josh Smith aint it either.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am not the numbers guy Bima is, but I am pretty sure that if you sign Smith, you would no longer have the cap flexibility to put on CP3 or Dwight.

If you sign Smith to the max or near max, we can kiss goodbye to any additional max player, which is why we better be pretty choosy with whom we make our next investment with.

15. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Remember, Josh Smith is an expiring contract and with guys like CP3 and Dwight on the market this summer, he is not a main target which sets a person's market value.

I believe not only would Josh Smith make us a more alluring place for free agents than Millsap, Al or Pau, but he would also come at a value price for his shut-down defense and ability to create more space once Harden penetrates and starts hitting Smith for easy dunks.

16. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Completely false. His numbers actually HELP us get Dwight. 17 mil coming off of the books? Sure, after we sign Dwight or CP3 (which prob. means bye bye Asik or Lin) we may not be able to outright sign players without exceptions, but a core of Harden, Smith, Parsons, CP3 or Dwight is top 2 in West and Morey would be able to do what he does best by finding diamonds out of nowhere to help that group.

17. jets fool

jets fool Member

Neither one....juck the fazz and their players

1 person likes this.
  18. trowa

trowa Member

where is the "Neither"

19. JJHardLin

JJHardLin Member

i dont like them but if i had to choose 1 id probably go with Millsap since he actually knows how to defend

20. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

None of the above, neither of them are a good fit with this young team. We need to have patience, and retain our cap space. Instead of blowing it on a border line All-Star.

2 people like this.