1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D-MO future all star

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Specnaz, Jul 27, 2015.

1. omgTHEpotential

If you want him to average more than 12 pts, all you you need to do is increase his USG. And that's not on DMo - his percentages are good.

2. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I agree with you and you could also say that about several other players on the team as well. Lawson should really help DMO and the other Big's in the usage category.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well you can say that about anyone else capable of reliably creating their own shot. Increasing the usage of players that can't reliably create their own shot wouldn't do a lot of positive things.

4. OpenLayup-Why3?

Kanter in his 3rd year in NBA was averaging 12 pts, 4,7 DREBS, 0,5 blocks. He just got his max contract.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And now for the "He had a dozen or so good games at the end of last season on a non playoff team" argument

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

There are overpaid guys out there.

Doesn't mean Morey will overpay

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I could definitely see someone throwing a max or near-max contract at DMo. I'm sure Cuban is already planning on it.

8. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

And to be quite honest with you I'd be very happy for DMO if he could get it. If Morey or Les feel as if they don't want to be in a Chandler Parsons type of situation with DMO then what do they do with him?

9. Normalus

Normalus Member

Agree, but several others teams would pay him max; You think we won't match IF he comes back and improve through the season, without injuries?

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Morey is probably planning on doing so as well.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Possibly. It will depend on several factors I'm sure.

12. OpenLayup-Why3?

DMO and Rockets will be in an identical to Parsons situation. DMO will get a big offer from someone and Morey won't match it. He will replace DMO with someone older, but better, more fitting at PF for half the price.
    Only difference is that this time Morey will have the money to keep DMO without suffering financial restrictions related to salary cap.

13. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

DMo will not get anywhere near the usage required to be an all-star, behind Harden, Lawson and Dwight.

14. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

more fodder for the debate, just asked Kevin Pelton at ESPN about Dmo vs Jones and this was his response:

Mateo (Houston)

You mentioned earlier (can't remember where) that you think Terrence Jones has a higher ceiling than Donatas Motiejunas. Is it a lot higher or are they pretty close? Where do you see their respective peaks (assuming better health than last year)?

Kevin Pelton (12:38 PM):
    I think it's substantially higher. Jones is more than a year younger and has a much longer track record of effective NBA play (Motiejunas wasn't really a viable rotation player until last season.) Given his ability to score and rebound, I can conceive a scenario where Jones realistically develops into an above-average starter nearly at All-Star level. I don't see that as a realistic outcome for Motiejunas, who seems more likely to end up as an above-average third big.

1 person likes this.
  15. OpenLayup-Why3?

99% of clutchfans forum seen more games of T Jones and DMO than Kevin pelton.

16. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I hope not... That would be another Kelvin Cato situation all over again..

T_Man

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If Kevin Pelton's evaluation of TJones (vis-a-vis DMo) is shared by other GMs in the league, then TJones would net a decent return if traded. It only takes one.

18. nobie

nobie Member

I like how he goes all r****d on "more than a year younger". Thats no argument, white europeans and there bodies fully develops much slower/older age. Also Jones ability to score? He must be mistaken something, since its the other way round.
    I dont doubt Jones might have higher ceiling, but this analytic reasons are bad.

19. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

The rebounding is embarrassing at 39 Hakeem was a better rebounder and shot blocker. There are some really athletic impediments in his game.

I love his offensive play around the basket and his passing. If that's all he is being judged on, then he a true all-star.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Both players have yet to reach their ceilings but TJones game is so unrefined compared to D-Mo. Jones is more athletic, but Motiejunas is a legit 7 footer and his intangibles are through the roof. If forced to choose, give me the guy with the length, position flex, work ethic and high BB IQ.