1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mission Impossible 5: Rogue Nation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Keyser Soze, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

Yeah but is this better than the Last Samurai?

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Wow! Comes out this weekend?

Rocket River

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Right? I feel like this movie is the most unheralded, of this summer. I barely remembered that it was coming out this month, much less this year.

4. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Very enjoyable, but I'm not sure I liked it more than the last few films. The movie felt a bit too familiar to other installments in the franchise. What I did like was it kept you on your toes; It was hard to discern who was double crossing whom and who was two steps ahead of the other.

But I do think the franchise might need to find some fresh ideas going forward.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Don't tease me bro

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Just saw it. Would give it a solid 7.5 out of 10. Nothing special, but a really fun movie, nonetheless. Ending was way too convoluted for me, but still enjoyable, nonetheless.

The female co-star is a total badass, though. Never even heard of Rebecca Ferguson before this movie but she was the best part, easily.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Such as?

8. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Maybe move away from the always being disavowed plotline for one.

You obviously don't want to mess with success, but perhaps it's time to retire some of the tried and true plot devices and tech that's been used quite frequently throughout the franchise's run.

And if you are going to see this, it wouldn't hurt to watch Ghost Protocol again. There's some nice, albeit small, connections between the two.

9. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Liked it a lot. Just a fun movie. This summer is officially on Cruise control.

10. conquistador#11

Solid all around, except that paula patton went missing. my only complaint.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The girl was phenomenal. I liked it as much as ghost protocol.

12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I thought it was the best of the series to be honest. Could have been trimmed by about 20 mins but other than that its probably one of the best action films of the summer.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It would have been a lot better if basically anyone else was playing Tom Cruise's role....but that's most movies he's in.

14. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

If you felt that way about Tom Cruise going in, why did you plunk down upwards of $15 to see the 5th movie in a franchise created by him, starring him, produced by him, and directed by his hand-picked director?

Just wanted to troll?

15. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

No. It's just a love/hate thing he got. He loves Tom Cruise's D but he hates that he has to hide that fact.
    It's okay, Eric. It's 2015. You can feel empowered now.

16. magman

magman Member

Solid movie, did most things right even if the things it does right have been done before. Stunts and choreography were the strong points to me.

Very solid, competent movie, but nothing groundbreaking or amazing (aside from the fact Cruise was tied to the outside of a plane).

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh wow, I didn't mean to insult your boyfriend and I didn't say that it ruined the movie, I just pointed out that it would have been a better movie with a better actor. Fanboys can be so ridiculous...

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

So do I understand this right: movie would have been better with Paul Giamatti playing Ethan Hunt? Interesting.

Seeing it tonight. I'll try to imagine each scene with Paul Giamatti and get back to y'all with a verdict.

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

That's like your opinion man! My opinion is this series is nothing without Tom Cruise, his acting, and his stunts. They couldn't pull it off without him. Some other actor could fill in...but it wouldn't be nearly as believable per the stunts (stunt double, more CG). The only reason I watch these movies is to see what crazy stunts Tom does next and who they pluck into the leading lady role is a close second. Of course, story matters but eye candy matters more.

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Is it OK for a 10 year old? I would say sure but his Mom is asking.