1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anybody else getting J.J. Watt fatigue?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Harden2Capela, Oct 29, 2015.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, the thing is I think all the voters will start looking for reasons to give the award to someone else (like when Dream was robbed of MVP by David Robinson) just because they are tired of it always going to the same guy. If they get to that point, it will be very easy for them to ignore the stuff that doesn't show up on a stat sheet. I hope Watt knows this and takes it to heart. If he finishes out the season the way he has been playing these last 5-6 games, it will be a moot point because the results will demand he get the award yet again.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The opposite happened for Cuban

3. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Best example is back when the Bulls won their fifth title in their 2nd 3peat, they had the best record and of course Jordan was the best player on the planet. But the MVP went to Karl Malone and thus denied Jordan of an MVP 3peat (he won it the year before and the next year). So yeah media voters can have fatigue even on an obvious GOAT.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Hard to get Olajuwon MVP-fatigue when he only won one. Robinson's numbers were slightly better than Hakeem's in 1995 and SA finished 10+ games ahead of the Rockets. Barkley's MVP (1993) is the one where Dream was cheated. Definitely a popularity contest that season. Popularity will help Watt. He will end up with no fewer than 4 DPOYs which will be unprecedented (Taylor 3).

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

lol as if he has a motivation problem?

6. conquistador#11

well you know how jj is. he will take it personal and turn it up even more, this time past holy phenom.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

[​IMG]

8. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I was joking on that play, if Watt was so great he'd be able to jump again. right there in mid-air!! :rolleyes:

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He probably can't double jump because his calves are so small.

1 person likes this.
  10. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Yeah I most definitely need to start contributing to the tip jar.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Literally agree

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Hakeem was slightly ahead of Robinson in 1994-1995 in all major statistical categories except rebounds and they tied for that.

PPG, SPG, ASG, BPG all favored Hakeem.

Robinson shot a bit higher percentage for free throws and field goals and also played 9 more games.

Robinson's per 36 minute totals were a bit higher, but as we all know, games are 48 minutes long.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

47-35 teams aren't going to garner support for MVP candidates..... especially when the head-to-head at the time was 5-1 (Robinson over Hakeem).

We all know who was the "better" player (and eventually the better team) was... but Robinson and the Spurs had a better season than Hakeem and the Rockets, and MVP is still a regular season award.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I was just correcting the 'Robinson was statistically better than Hakeem' note.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Is Watt the most popular Houston football figure since Earl Campbell?

I imagine kids today feel the exact same way towards Watt as people my age felt about Big Earl back in the day.

Maybe we should change his number to 34. Hakeem, Ryan, Earl, Watt.

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Robinson's biggest advantage was PER (26 vs 29) ... that explains his per 36 totals being higher. Perhaps SA's regular season dominance enabled David to play less. Opponents "getting up" to play the defending champions probably was a factor too. Regardless though, the bigger travesty was Barkley's winning over Dream. Charles did nothing better than Olajuwon except an extra 1.5 assists. I think voters blew off Hakeem's '93 MVP and only gave him DPOY that year.

Didn't you experience the Campbell Era?

I can't imagine Earl being more popular than JJ. It's pretty amazing to even be comparing a defensive player to a RB.

I don't think Houston has had a football icon like Watt since Earl. Moon was nice, but his domestic situation destroyed much of his adoration.

#176 Houstunna, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  17. MystikArkitect

Anyone catch him miced up on Showtime or is everyone still fatigued?

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

Why Luke will get some votes

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/12/01/pro-10-things-to-know-about-nfl-week-12/

9. Luke Kuechly literally broke our new 1–100 grading scale.
    The Carolina Panthers’ Luke Kuechly is on pace to record the highest-graded season for a linebacker that we’ve ever seen in the PFF era (since 2007). As you may have known, we recently introduced a new 1–100 grading scale that is more comprehensible and allows for more friendly player comparisons.

As Nathan Jahnke explained in his article on Friday, when PFF created this new scale, our analysts accounted for every great season recorded since 2007, and even made room for players to exceed those high marks.

Playing only eight games this season due to injury, Kuechly has already posted the best grade PFF has ever seen from an ILB or 4-3 OLB, according to Jahnke.

By logging into PFF’s 2015 Player Grades, you can see that Kuechly currently owns a 104.9 overall grade—on a scale that tops out at 100. He’s excelled beyond belief in run defense and pass coverage this season.

While it will take some time to account for the exceptional play of Kuechly in our grading system, it’s certainly worth noting that we are witnessing a truly special season by the Carolina linebacker.

19. rocketshopeful

20. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Was he mic'd up for the saints game? A coworker of mine was telling me he was but I can't find the video anywhere