1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The case for Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

They gave him a contract after the 2013 season when he had 49 receptions for 545 yards. He was our 3rd best receiver that year. Owen Daniels was a cap casualty, we needed a TE, and Graham had played well up until that point. And his contract of $11.25M over 3 years was good for what we were expecting.

But cutting him shouldn't be an issue. His contract wasn't that big to start with and there's only $750K in dead money if they cut him next year.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

I was about to say this in the other thread. Graham's production was not bad with the Kubiak offense. It was not ridiculous to assume that O'Brien would be able to get some production out of him too.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm surprised Graham has been so quiet because he has shown he was a good receiving TE in the past. But i'm not surprised by Griffin taking his spot. That guy has shown potential the last few years and it's looking like he's finally growing into it.

I am still underwhelmed by Fiedorowicz though, especially given how high of a pick he was.

4. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Then what made him to play garbage? If he was decent what the hell made him play this garbage the he is now? He's playing like me.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I would argue the next three weeks will tell us a lot - and that the game most fans THINK is the biggest during that stretch is actually the least important. They need to beat Buffalo and they have to beat Indianapolis. If they go 2-1, they should be in prime position.

(I recognize 3-0 is better, and they may very well need every win... but if they *have* to lose one of these next 3, you pick the New England game 1,000 times. A win in Buffalo essentially knocks them out of contention, and a win in Indianapolis keeps you in a divisional race that may very well be the only route into the postseason.)

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Fire OBrien

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This game is just another reminder it's a QB league. A

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Exactly. Wasting first pick overalls on defensive line men is a freaking joke.

9. Newlin

Newlin Member

You MUST have a QB. Just look at the Cowboys without Romo.

Four QB's that played better than Hoyer this week.
    Bortles
    Manziel
    Bridgewater
    Carr

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

No chance.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Offensive playcalling is straight @$$

Rocket River

12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

[​IMG]

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but better than Hoyer means almost nothing. Bortles and Carr have shown to be pretty damn good QB's though.

14. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

I'm still salty this team didn't take carr when they could have, mostly due to his last name. Pretty pathetic honestly.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Maybe if they lose the rest of their games.

16. conquistador#11

don't be so scared of hitching your wagon to a rookie qb, BOB. you're job will be safe for 13 years, so pick a young qb ALREADY. gawd.

=)

17. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

The case against BOB:

He will draft Hackenburg in the first round next May. You know it's coming. He recruited him to Penn state. He thinks he can turn him into a superstar.

I'm in favor of getting rid of O Brian if it means we don't draft Hackenburg

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I don't believe it. I think people too much stock in that type of ****. 2nd or 3rd round, some place where it makes sense for him to go? Maybe. First round? Over more qualified QBs? No way in hell. There are 7 or 8 players from Penn State that OB coached that were drafted or signed as rookie FA's in the last two years and the Texans haven't shown interest in any of them. But all of a sudden OB is supposed to show his Penn State nepotism. :rolleyes:

19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

posted in another thread, meant to post here.

Jeremy Lin our future RB?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">QB Brandon Weeden says adapting to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> offense after being with the Cowboys is &quot;like learning Chinese backwards&quot; <a href="https://t.co/Via8mooiwH">pic.twitter.com/Via8mooiwH</a></p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/677257273480110081">December 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Was any of those rookie FA a highly touted QB he recruited at Penn state? He fancies himself a QB guru. He thinks he can coach up any QB. Hackenburg is his idea of a QB. He recruited him. He had a decent season as a true fresh under BOB. He's sucked since. But BOB has a history with him and is familiar with him. You realize he had history with Hoyer and Mallet before getting them on the Texans right? He has history with Hackenburg.