1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy T has not understood the Olympic Spirit

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AroundTheWorld, Oct 1, 2000.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

While I generally like the guy, I am a bit disappointed with the way Rudy has been approaching these Olympic Games. Read this quote:

""One of the greatest feelings ever," coach Rudy Tomjanovich said. "Winning is great. This
    was different, it was a national deal. You're not playing at home. You're on hostile land.
    The whole process of becoming a team was just wonderful, when you take guys from
    different teams and just focus on one thing. It was a team and everyone pulled for each
    other, and it wasn't easy."

This was not hostile land. These were the Olympic Games.

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

You've obviously never been to the Olympics.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Jeff,

I'd agree with you in most cases, but not when it comes to NBA players. These guys are worshipped worldwide for their basketball ability. Basketball fans from around the world would kill to watch them play. Do they want their own national team to beat the "Dream Team"? Sure. But I don't think that makes them "hostile". They weren't "hated" until they started acting like complete jerks. At least that's what others on the board who either went there or are in 'Stralia are saying. [​IMG]

------------------
    I got nothin'.

4. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I think he was talking about the refs, not the olympic atmosphere.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Great comment.

Everything he said was fine, what I criticized was the stuff about the "hostile land". At the very least that was a very bad choice of words.

[This message has been edited by Det The Threat (edited October 01, 2000).]

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

heb,
    the only way the refs were hostile was because they called the game according to the rules of basketball. 'Zo gets called for walking when he walks. Payton gets called for fouls when he mauls people trying to get a steal. Kidd gets called for a charge when he mows a guy down (no dotted lines) - the refs called the rules, the us players forgot to check the rules.

As an aussie I bought tickets to see team usa and I was all excited about cheering some NBA legends home, but after a few games it quickly became clear that SOME of them were acting like jerks, and that sort of behaviour is just not on, so the sold out stadiums booed the very people they came to see. Nice PR work for the USA by the team there.

------------------

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT WHAT DONNIE NELSON
    SAID?

Basically, he felt unamerican being on the
    Lithuanian sideline. He got no joy in trying
    to help them defeat the Americans.

Will we now stop sending out our good will
    efforts to foster the international game?

So we can stay dominant?

Rocket River

------------------

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

And, by the way, congratulations to Rudy for winning the gold, I certainly think that he personally deserves it and I am happy for him.

9. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I don't think what they were doing was any different from any of the other teams in the Olympics, except they were winning. The other teams players were yelling and screaming and hyping each other up when they did something good, just as our Team USA was. The only difference was we were winning.

Should we expect our boys to go there and be humble and reserved in the face
    of "competition"?

Maybe, because the world knows how good they are and were expected to win, but everyone has to remember, they are competitors too. Now, I am not condoning Vince trying to posterize every guy on the other side and don't think it was too cool of him to go after the Russian, but the opposing players were running their mouths and pushing our guys too. You can't overlook those actions.

RR, I'm glad you brought up Don Nelson going to coach the Lithuanians. I think that was his decision alone and the NBA had nothing to do with it. He has publically expressed his regret for helping our direct competition and has also said that he will never coach against the US again. I don't think we'll be seeing anymore US coaches on the foreign sidelines.

------------------
    Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.

Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and pimp-slap the mother****** upside the head!