1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans express interest in Leinart

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by htownrox1, Sep 5, 2010.

1. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Take it for what its worth..

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7187890.html

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

In before the move.

3. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Oh crap.. Just realized, wrong forum.. Anyway move if you have to.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

For future reference there's a forum called "Texans, Astros, and Dynamo." This belongs there, and it's already being talked about in the offseason thread.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

If you ever post Texans news in the Hangout again, I will hunt you down and severely mangle your car antennae.

6. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Yes, I understand that. It was just a simple mistake, and I just realized it. Sheesh go ahead and crucify me for posting this in the wrong area. :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

No mistakes allowed or you're cut from the team.

Except tortilla talk.

8. conquistador#11

Oh noes, not the flour or corn debate again. =)

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I wrote my reply when you were writing yours. Wasn't trying to be a jerk, just pointing it out in case you didn't know.

10. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

It's all good. Anyway thoughts on Leinart?? I think if he's given a chance, he could be a decent backup quarterback. Waaayyyy better than Orlovsky..

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It's like the Texans are intentionally trying to acquire every horrific bust starting QB they can find:

Carr
    Sexy Rexy
    Orlovsky
    Leinart

in two years, Colt

1 person likes this.
  12. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Colt who? Colt McCoy? How can you label him a bust? Too premature IMO.

13. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Sources: Texans go after Matt Leinart

The Houston Texans have emerged as a leading candidate to sign former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Matt Leinart, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The Texans were one of the first teams to contact Leinart after he was released Saturday and have been among the most interested teams, according to the sources.

The Cardinals parted ways with the former Heisman Trophy winner days after Leinart went public with his frustration over being replaced by Cleveland castoff Derek Anderson.

Leinart complained he had outplayed Anderson and that his problems with coach Ken Whisenhunt were "probably away from football." That led to a meeting with Whisenhunt the following day. Although he was unhappy that Leinart took his issues public, Whisenhunt praised how the quarterback has handled things.

"The one thing I want to make very clear is how professional Matt was about the whole situation," the coach said. "I was very impressed with his conversation with me. He thanked the organization, the ownership, for all the time and effort that they had invested in him. He felt like he had gotten better and he had learned a lot and it meant a lot to me to hear him say that."

Leinart played two series in the final preseason game on Thursday night.

Arizona thought it had a steal when Leinart, who led Southern California to two national championships and a third title game appearance, fell to the Cardinals at the No. 10 overall pick in 2006. He started 11 games as a rookie under then-coach Dennis Green, then the first five the following season under new coach Ken Whisenhunt. But the big left-hander then went down with a broken collarbone and Kurt Warner took over.

Warner finished his career with two spectacular seasons, leading Arizona to consecutive NFC West titles, an incredible run to the Super Bowl and a 51-45 overtime victory over Green Bay in a playoff thriller last season.

Leinart threw for 3,893 yards with 14 touchdowns and 20 interceptions with Arizona.

Information from The Associated Press contributed to this story.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5537474

14. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QqMiigy92qU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QqMiigy92qU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

15. RedRaiderRocket

I agree pretty much with everything you put, I say no on Leinart, the guy had probably the best wide receiver core in the NFL with Boldin and Fitzgerald and sucked so the Cardinals had to get Kurt Warner. This year the starting job was handed to him on a silver platter and he lost to freaking Derek Anderson I repeat Derek Anderson a guy who what had like 40 rating last year? The guy is an immature diva who doesn't care about improving his skills. The Texans don't need a backup diva, and I am not sold as bad as Orlovsky is that Matt Leinart is any better.

16. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Just not a fan of Jacuzzi boy so for once I hope he is just using Houston as leverage. :confused:

17. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Good points, but who knows maybe a change of scenary would be good for Leinart?

But wait.. Didn't his old coach, Pat Carrel pass on him in Seattle? If his old coach passes up on him even when the Seahawks have maybe one decent QB, that can't be good news./

18. MadMax4life

MadMax4life Member

i would give him a shot... hey, what can you lose?? we have an open spot and from what i have seen from Dan O this pre season, i rather slaton be our quarterback... I dont think Leinart is mature enough to be on the field but we are slim at QB behind Schaub... i would not mind giving him a shot... if it dont work out, what the heck, cut him....

19. Raven

Raven Member

Ouch!

20. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Man, you guys think WAY too much.

Your backup QB is Dan Orlovsky... if you've got a chance to bring in Matt Leinart, you take it. That's really all there is to it.