1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRONIC] Rockets fans accept mediocrity — and that's exactly what they get

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

....courtesy of Queen Solomon.

<hr>

Watching the Spurs-Mavericks play I couldn't help but feel sorry for Rockets fans.

About a month ago my 12-year-old nephew Nyle asked me how far could the Rockets go in the playoffs, and I told him they would have a tough time even getting into the playoffs. He said, "No, I'm talking about next year."

He wasn't even upset that the team would likely miss the postseason this year. Poor kid.

The Rockets have done such a good job selling you on the Rockets' future, that many of their fans just take season after season of failure as acceptable. It's amazing.

I've been doing regular interventions with Texans fans the past couple years, and looks like I have to continue to do the same with Rockets fans.

What kind of Rockets fan can look at the NBA playoffs — especially now with Dallas and San Antonio facing off in the first round — and not be upset that the Rockets aren't involved?

This kind:

"Oh, shut up Solomon, 42-40 was all we could have asked for this year."

And I thought those UH basketball fans who tried to categorize the Cougars' stretch under Tom Penders as a huge success were nuts.

See, in most cities, and with most other professional franchises, not winning anything significant for more than 10 years makes people angry.

Not winning has just made most Rockets fans dream of how great it will be next year. You poor things.

I guess once you've accepted that your team isn't one of the league's big-time winners — heck, your team's not even a major factor in its own state — you are willing to applaud 42-40.

"We're No. 3! We're No. 3!"

Too bad there are only three teams in the state.

While driving to San Jacinto College the other day for a high school journalism gathering, I caught my boy John Lopez and Marc Vandermeer on 610 fielding calls on who Rockets fans should pull for — the Spurs or the Mavs.

Talk about sad.

If you don't think that's sad, you probably haven't looked at just how much better Dallas and San Antonio have been for the past decade-plus compared to your Rockets. Or how much better they are right now than your Rockets.

Oh, I forget, you've been taught to ride the "We'll be better than them next year" train.

That train comes through here pretty much every year doesn't it? Right about the time when the season ends and the Spurs and Mavericks are trying to make playoff runs.

The last time the Rockets finished ahead of San Antonio was the 1996-97 season. Unfortunately for Houston, the Spurs drafted Tim Duncan that summer (a few weeks after Nyle was born), and San Antonio has posted a better record than the Rockets EVERY SEASON SINCE.

I won't even torture you by listing all of the Spurs' accomplishments since then, but did you know that the worst record they have had in those 13 seasons is this year's 50-32 mark. Yes, their worst season is eight games better than the Rockets' "glad we won 42 games" campaign.

Houston can't even disparage the title-less Mavs over that stretch.

Since 1996-97, the Mavs have won 88 more regular season games (despite winning only 19 and 20 games, respectively, in 1997-98 and '98-99), three more divisional titles (the Rockets have won zero) and eight more playoff series (the Rockets have won one) than Houston.

I guess so many of you have grown up watching the Spurs and Mavericks be better than the Rockets, that seeing those two teams in the playoffs while your Rockets are sitting at home just doesn't mean anything to you.

You think 42 wins were what Rick Adelman expected? What about Shane Battier and the rest of the Rockets?

Somehow, it's what many fans were willing to accept.

Now, there are legitimate excuses for why the Rockets posted a 42-win season, but in the end, this isn't complicated. The playoffs have begun. The Rockets are no longer playing. This was not a good season. (One of the 10 worst since the Rockets came to Houston.)

Wait till next year.

link

2. Convictedstupid

I guess writing one article over rockets fans accepting mediocrity wasnt enough...?

1 person likes this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

lock this **** up.

Don't click the link

why help him spread the garbage and get him hits nWo34Life?

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I am tired of this next year crap, but this his argument is weak.

#4 Air Langhi, Apr 19, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  5. PointForward

PointForward Member

because he's right. Fans have grown to accept mediocrity. We don't have much to expect next year. Yao is coming back, big whoop. He hasn't played basketball in 2 years, and yet we expect him to be our end-all solution to all our problems. We don't have the cap space nor the inclination to sign a big time star, we're likely to lose our only REAL point guard (Kyle), and yet we're all pumped about next year.

While I love dork elvis, I don't think his status as GOD on this board is well deserved.

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I hate this guy.

He's not right. He's an idiot. We haven't accepted mediocrity -- we've accepted reality. The reality is, we lost our two best players from last year's playoff team. Show me a team that can withstand that and still make the playoffs, and I'll buy into his and your sh!tty argument.

Yao hasn't played basketball in less than one year. He got hurt in the second round last year. He'll be back playing before "hasn't played basketball in 2 years" is up. Don't exaggerate to try to help make your point.

We don't have the inclination to sign a big star? Have you been ignoring what Morey has said since the trade deadline? If not, do you just think Morey is lying to us? Are you Solomon?

Everything you just posted in defense of this crap article author is entirely false. In fact, Morey's on record as saying we'll use Les' resources to keep Lowry. Yet you say we're "likely" to lose him? If anything, we're "likely" to sign him.

I guess now we see the dumbed-down audience Jerome appeals to, assuming that isn't him trying to defend his own article.

#6 LongTimeFan, Apr 19, 2010
  7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

When I used to have a subscription to that newspaper, Solomon wasn't bad as he is now. He's starting to steal Dick Justice's schtick of just bashing every sports team in town and sucking everyone dry when the team starts winning.

This whole "I want to write something just to rile up the readers and the fanbase so I can stay relevant" game is a bit old and tiring.

8. ashiin

ashiin Member

Solomon can suck a nut.

9. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

harsh but true...i spew the same crap out to my mavs and spurs friends all the time, "wait till next year" ugghhh it does get old, which is why i have about had it with yao ming

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The Chronicle accepted mediocrity in their writers from the looks of it. But I do apprciate the fact that Solomon is trying to improve his writings by attending "high school journalism gatherings" at San Jac.

3 people like this.
  11. Dei

Dei Member

Can JCDenton show this troll to troll?

12. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

the only reason the rockets have to keep waiting until "next year" is because their superstars are always hurt. I mean, what else can you expect?

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

So many things wrong with this that I don't know where to begin.

1.) Yao - hasn't played basketball in two years? Well, considering he played last May, it hasn't even been one year. Way to exaggerate for effect. And "big whoop"? Yeah, for a team whose main problems are on defense, I'm sure having a 7'6, 330 pound anchor won't make much of a difference at all. :rolleyes:

2.) Cap space - don't have the inclination - WTF? Cap space for a big time star is borderline worthless, dude. What big star do you think is going to pass up $30 mil to straight up sign with the Rockets, had they kept the cap space? It's all about sign and trade assets, and the Rockets can rival almost anyone in that regard. And if you don't think Morey will be on Chris Bosh's doorstep at midnight July 1 (inclination), you're on something strong.

3.) Likely to lose Lowry - again, how? How many times does Morey have to say that they're going to match any offer? It's not even an issue.

1 person likes this.
  14. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

I used to hate all over Solomon's Articles. However after reading this one, what the guy says makes sense to me. Yes there are legitimate reasons but still there is no denying that we are a mediocre team and have been for some time. Because of this fact, we have come to accept it. Morey has been doing great but the results speak for themselves in wins and losses. Injuries and bad luck aside, the Rockets have become a "shoulda woulda coulda" franchise.

#14 Rox_fan_here, Apr 19, 2010
  15. RocketMania1991

Since 1993-1994 the Rockets have won 2 championships and the Mavs have won none.

Grats on being dumb Solomon.

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

That's one of the more bizarre elements of Solomon's piece and this whole line of thinking - it was all of 11 months ago that the Rockets' season lasted longer than either San Antonio or Dallas.

17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This. ^

I started reading and was thinking "oh this is a repost of last week's article, lock it up" but NO this scrub had to beat his dead horse and write this crap all over again. :mad:

How annoying, we had a bad season yes, but wasn't everyone (probably including him) predicting we'd be the New Jersey Nets of this season????

We performed way better than everyone expected, even for most on this board pleading for us to tank.

What a moron.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Right? Please, This has been the only year that I've approved of a "next year" attitude.

Yao stopped playing Last May....less than a year ago so stop exaggerating. I'm not expecting him to dominate but even a halfway decent Yao is 10X better than Chuck Hayes.

Would you rather traded all your pieces for a chance in the first round this season?
    Kevin Martin is a 20PPG scorer.
    We now have a Lotto pick PF (Hill)
    another lotto pick this summer
    A potential lotto pick next year
    and another 1st round pick in 2012

sounds like we have got a lot done.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's learned well from Richard Justice.

20. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

When it worked so well the first time, why not regurgitate the same crap over again.