1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PC Graphic/Video Card

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ChrisBosh, Nov 10, 2006.

Tags:
  1. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Just wondering if all you PC gamers could help me out.

I'm looking to buy a video card for my PC, but have no clue in regards to what’s good/bad etc… I’m not exactly looking for the BMW M6 of the Video card world. More like a Infiniti G35- performance & bang for your buck.

Anyways please let me know what you have and what you think of it…or some advise on what’s good out there…

Thanks.

2. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

pci or agp?

3. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

i don't know the difference, from what i've read agp is faster, but more expensive?

If you know about a good website where i can read up on what to pick i'd appreciate it...most of the sites i google are crap or untrustworthy

4. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

how much you looking to spend? PCI is different from PCI express, the express is the newest, and all the newer card are only made in this format i believe. AGP is still good, BUT, the best card you can get in that format is x850 xt. also, you have to check your motherboard, if it takes AGP, then you can only use AGP cards, if it takes PCI express, then it can only use PCI express cards. I would suggest looking into nVidia 7 series, like the 7800GT, should be very cheap by now but still a goodie.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150195

its only 200 after a mail in rebate, wish i have a PC...

#4 Xenochimera, Nov 10, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2006
  5. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Best card for agp is the x1950pro. I believe it should sell for $199. You can also purchase this card for pci-e. I have this video card (x1950pro) but haven't installed it yet.

ANother thing about these video cards, I think the recommended power supply is at least 450-500 watts.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Right now is a bad time to upgrade hoestly. Direct X 10 is coming out soon which will change all video cards
    The only cards which support it currently are the Geforce 8800 series at around 500 for the GTS and 650 for the GTX. You will need a PCI-E slot, and a PCI-E power connector from your power supply. 2 connectors for the GTX.

If you wait about 6 months you can get the more budget DX 10 cards which will be cheaper. Determine what you need and buy the cheapest one that fits the demands for the next 6-9 months.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

^I 2nd that.

The deal is the newest Nvidia card has a different architecture than previous years models. This puts pressure on what ATI is doing, which isn't out yet.

Right now that new card, the 8800 series, has been monsterous in benchmarks but real pricey.

So while you're not planning on getting the most expensive card you'd want Vista to come out to depress card prices.

8. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I guess I’m going to wait till Direct X 10 comes out and use the card I have until then. Thanks for helping guys.