1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Terrel Suggs Out for the Season

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, May 3, 2012.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Breaking News on ESPN and NFL.com

Terrel Suggs tears Achilles playing basketball in Arizona and is out for the season.

Link: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7...vens-tears-achilles-playing-hoops-sources-say

We've seen this happen several times before, players playing another sport during the offseason leading to a severe injury. When do teams start putting clauses in contracts similar to those that they now put in there regarding reckless behavior (motorcycles), morals, etc.?

#1 Lil Pun, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Huge blow to Baltimore, especially since Sergio Kindle has been worthless

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

Ahh the curse must be contagious.

4. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Hate the Ravens and Suggs, but I never like to see players injured. Hopefully it does not hamper the orc's career.

1 person likes this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Freak accident, could've happened to anyone. Doubt it causes any kind of drastic change in contract dealings. If roflberger can smash his face into a car without anything coming of it, then playing bball isn't going to cause a seismic change, either.

That being said, hope this doesn't derail his career and he makes a full recovery. Baltimore just lost their best pass rusher, huge blow to them.

6. conquistador#11

he wasn't pulling a big ben where he flew over two monster trucks. Suggs was just playing bball, many football players cross train with basketball. If it was going to happen, it was going to happen. huge blow to that defense.

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I'm not advocating putting these clauses in contracts just saying that I think teams may start doing it to protect their investments.

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

not working out is just as bad an investment if they come into camp as fat slobs. guys have to workout in the off season. this could happen to anyone.

didn't cutler have an accident last year where he fell down the stairs, LOL!!!

9. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I want to know what the score was in this basketball game. If they were leading with the game in hand the coach should've taken him out.
    :p

1 person likes this.
  10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

That stinks for the Ravens, but I won't cry over the slight help it gives us

HOU vs Ravens
    TEN vs Steelers
    JAX vs Bengals
    IND vs Browns

Baltimore's one of two teams we face that the rest of the division doesn't have to (Denver's the other). If we can pull off 1 or 2 wins in the flex games, when we have the toughest of them, that gives us significant inroads to taking the division.

#10 emjohn, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
  11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I thought they put in clauses that outlaws these type of things. Esp after the Steve Smith injury.

This helps the Texans cause. Battle-fight for the #1 seed!!!

12. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I don't think you can tell a guy to not play basketball. Flag football or atv's sure, but bball goals are everywhere. And watching how Demeco went down, we know it can happen anytime, with nobody around you (especially if the grass is garbage).

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would not consider non-professional Bball reckless activity. Motorcycles, ATV, boxing..I am sure these are in a lot of contracts already.

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Hate injuries....but no tears from me.

15. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I think some do, but not sure. In college I was friends with some of the football players and they wern't allowed to play other sports during the season. I played ball with the backup qb and he got in serious trouble for doing that.

As a team owner, it makes sense. It's not too much to ask that the players don't ride motorcycles or do anything (especially once spring training starts) that has substantial physical risk.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Serious blow right there. Lewis and Reed might get exposed now. They're still both still really, really good football players but Suggs was bringing the heat while Ngata disrupted everything.

17. BALLhog 247 365

ball so hard indeed

18. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Dang that sucks.

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

While it sucks that this happened, the Ravens have traditionally been a team that has never had the injury bug bite them (especially not like the Texans), so I can't feel too terribly sorry for them. I can't help but think how differently things would have played out in the playoff game if we had been healthy and they had not been.