1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: McGrady comes out on top in return to Orlando

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GRENDEL, Jan 21, 2005.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

McGrady's night complete
    Rockets make it their task to help teammate gain victory over Magic
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NBA:
    Houston
    at Orlando
    (Thu., 7:00)
    AUDIO: Chronicle columnist John P. Lopez: Rockets, McGrady step up against Magic, Francis

COMING UP
    Friday:
    at New York, 6:30 p.m.
    TV/Radio:
    Listings; KILT (610 AM)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ORLANDO. FLA. - The final seconds slipping away and the arena finally quiet, Public Enemy No. 1 smiled and winked the way you do when you know something.

Tracy McGrady had been talking about this night for a week, telling his teammates that it would be special to him and that in an arena and city pitted against him he would need them more than he had ever needed them.

But while Orlando hit him with all the rage and volume it could muster, he never changed his famously placid expression, never let on how badly he wanted this win, or what he knew all along.

Then finally, he smiled and winked.

A week before, he told his teammates that they would have to be at their best, and then they were, letting the Rockets and McGrady leave town triumphantly this time, with a 108-99 victory Thursday night over the Magic at TD Waterhouse Centre.

"I told them — I've been talking to them for a week — about what kind of game this would be," McGrady said. "I told them, this means a lot. This means a lot to me."

In their first meeting since they were traded for each other in a seven-player deal that so dramatically re-created their teams, McGrady and Steve Francis battled to a virtual draw.

Francis attacked the rim with his familiar flair, scoring 16 of his 28 points in the second half while collecting nine assists, with just one turnover, and seven rebounds.

McGrady set the early tone and finished with 27 points, six rebounds and four assists. He scored six of the Rockets' last eight points after the Magic closed to within four.

"To say he didn't want to win this game more would not be truthful, but he played the game to win (instead of) as an individual showcase," said Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy. "Andfor that matter, so did Fran-cis."

But McGrady got the help of four teammates scoring in double figures, with Bob Sura — 19 points, 11 rebounds and nine assists — chasing a triple double and Yao Ming making eight of 12 shots for 20 points in 31 minutes.

"We knew Tracy wanted to win the game bad," Sura said. "He talked about that. He didn't want to come out here and score 50 points. He wanted to win the game.

"He told us five days ago, we better all bring our 'A' game for this game tonight."

McGrady set an early pace, scoring nine points in the first quarter while the Rockets rushed to a 12-point lead.

He scored on a flying slam, switching the ball to his left hand on the way.

He threw in a spectacular runner off the glass while crashing to the floor from a Tony Battie foul.

Into the flow
    But as the game went on, he seemed to step back, and his teammates stepped up.

Knight Ridder Tribune
    Tracy McGrady leaves the court after a strong showing in Houston's 108-99 win over Orlando.
    "Things were said about Mac," the Rockets' Juwan Howard said. "The way he forced the trade, we had some unhappy people here tonight.

"We knew this was not like a regular game. It almost felt like a playoff game. We showed a lot of mental toughness. We could have easily been caught up in the hype.

"We could have easily got caught up into stargazing because of Steve Francis and Tracy McGrady. But we tried to come out here like men, come out here and do a job."

The Magic gave the Rockets ample opportunity to crack. With six minutes to play, Yao hit a top-of-the-key jumper to keep the Rockets' lead at nine points.

But not only did the Magic take off on a 7-2 spurt to close to within 96-92, they did it with a run of highlight plays that seemed to bring all the momentum to a home team and city that had waited months for this night.

Kelvin Cato had a rim-swinging slam. Grant Hill scored on a break, drawing a foul on McGrady. Dwight Howard flipped in a lefthanded runner over Yao.

The Magic were closer than they had been since the Rockets led 9-4 2 1/2 minutes into the game. McGrady had scored just two fourth-quarter points.

"We talked about that before the game, to not get caught up in mano a mano, all the hype, Tracy's day back," the Rockets' David Wesley said. "Tracy did a great job taking his time out there and not feeling like he had to do it all because he was back in Orlando."

But after biding his time, McGrady took over down the stretch and for just long enough.

McGrady pump-faked Hill into a foul on a 3-pointer, making two shots. Francis made one free throw before McGrady scored on a drive for a 100-93 Rockets lead with 2 1/2 minutes remaining.

With the Magic within seven points and inexplicably choosing not to foul, McGrady missed a 3, but Wesley ran down the rebound and McGrady was sent to the foul line to clinch the win with two free throws with 22.4 seconds left.

A winning smile
    Moments later, McGrady could not hold back the smile any longer.

"It was fun," he said. "I really enjoyed myself."

Then McGrady grinned just a bit again, and said: "I feel good. They love me."

If he was really the No. 1 they love to hate, he didn't seem to mind.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

Rockets Summary
    All eyes on McGrady
    The crowds of media were so thick around Tracy McGrady that teammate Dikembe Mutombo said, "It's President Bush. I thought he was in Washington."

But Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy was not as happy about the situation.

"I don't give a (expletive) about one thing about his return or my return (to New York today) or Rod Strickland's return here to Orlando, or anybody's return," Van Gundy said. "I care about one thing, playing better.

"Whatever he has to do to get himself ready with the right amount of intensity and poise, that's all that matters. He has nothing to prove to former coaches, former teammates, former fans.

"All he has to worry about are the guys in that room, coaches and teammates."

Van Gundy said that without singling out McGrady and this trip, he has talked to his team about not getting caught up in such off-court dramas.

"It's not for him, it's for anybody," Van Gundy said. "I always express what I think. I never tell (the media) something I haven't already said."

Difference of opinion
    Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy and Magic coach Johnny Davis differed greatly when asked about Tracy McGrady's admission that he slacked off when he played for the Magic last season. Van Gundy said McGrady was only unique in that he admitted it. Davis, who took over as Magic coach last season, was shocked.

"It never crossed my mind," Davis said. "It never dawned on me. I thought we were all trying to do the same thing in terms of coming out and playing hard every night to try to gain some respect. It never crossed my mind that someone might not be playing hard.

"Even though we were in dire straits and we weren't having much success, I never went into the locker room questioning if the guys were not playing hard. Obviously, to hear him say he wasn't playing hard saddens me."

Biting lawsuit
    Tracy McGrady is being sued by a man who had the tip of his nose bitten off by the player's Rottweiler last year.

Fred Chamberlin, 57, was working at McGrady's home in Orlando on Aug. 24 when the dog attacked him.

The lawsuit, asking for unspecified damages, was filed Wednesday in Orange County Circuit Court.

McGrady acknowledged his dog attacked Chamberlin and his responsibility to take care of the expenses.

"Absolutely, it's only right that I do that," McGrady said. "It was my dog and he (darn) near bit somebody's nose off. I feel terrible about that.

"It's a vicious dog. He's a very vicious dog. I didn't think he had it in him. He's really nice to everybody that comes to my house. It was just an unfortunate situation."

Press row view
    No matter how it ended, one game could not be a referendum on a trade, particularly when the players traded have so many years ahead of them. But it might not be too soon to conclude that the trade worked. Both teams could be better since the Steve Francis for Tracy McGrady deal. Both might be in better position to build. But unquestionably, if given the chance, both would make the deal again.

Inside the numbers
    The Rockets' 33-point first quarter was their most prolific since their 124-point game Jan. 12 in Dallas. ... The Rockets had five players score in double figures for the first time since the game in Dallas. ... Kelvin Cato scored a season-high 14 points. ... The Rockets are 18-4 when outrebounding an opponent.

Did you know
    The Rockets are last in the NBA in percentage of offensive rebounds per game, but they scored a season-high 28 second-chance points.

JONATHAN FEIGEN

Rockets Tonight
    • When/where: 6:30 p.m.; Madison Square Garden.
    • TV/radio: FSNSW; KILT (610 AM) and in Spanish on KYST (920 AM).
    • Records: Rockets 21-19, Knicks 17-21.
    • Knicks update: The Knicks have lost eight of their past nine games, but much of that was with Jamal Crawford and Tim Thomas out. Both are back and were returned to the starting lineup on Wednesday in Toronto. The Knicks beat the Rockets 93-92 on Nov. 18, overcoming an 11-point fourth-quarter deficit to win on a last-second Crawford shot.
    • The Knicks must: Defend the paint. The Rockets scored 48 of 92 points against the Knicks inside in November.
    • Rockets update: The Rockets will be playing their fourth game in five nights and their third back-to-back in two weeks. They struggled against the Nets last week and lost to the Pacers on Tuesday in the second legs.
    • The Rockets must: Get a productive game from Yao Ming. The Knicks do not have the high-speed big men that have given Yao trouble. He will get his shots. The Rockets need him to make them.
    • Check out: The Rockets' defense off the dribble. Stephon Marbury can drive on almost anyone and the Rockets have had trouble cutting off penetration. But the Knicks tend to settle for outside shots. The Rockets would like them to.

JONATHAN FEIGEN

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/3002471