1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Adelman OUT as TWolves Coach

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by drowsy12, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Adelman is a good coach, but it is the Hall of Fame and not the Hall of Good. If you are so great, you will have a title after over 30 years of coaching.

I will always remember him as a good coach, and the Portland and Sacramento teams he lead. However, for me, I want more from a Hall of Fame coach.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Adelman SHOULD have been the choice of the Lakers, but instead they went with Mike Brown. I don't know that Adelman would have won a title in LA, but he would have done a hell of a lot better than Brown and MDA.

3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder how much of that was adelman running our players into the ground?

Can you imagine this team with even less defense with adelman? well that would be adelmans team right now if he were here.

reality is mchale is not that bad as everyone says and adelman is as good as everyone says. I dont think adelman is terrible but the mchale hate is ridiculous considering how many wins we have and best record for team in a long ass time. People here suck when it comes to bashing mchale. Folks need to wake up that we are not getting phil jackson and I would rather have mchale than dantoni or brooks or lots of the 'good coaches' out there.

adelman is a good offensive coordinator. unfortunately it's not make it take it.

4. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I could see him going to GSW once they fire mark Jackson's overrated ass

5. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Another misconception. With Yao healthy we were one of the best defensive teams in the league, while scoring more points. Plus when you play uptempo you give up more points. Bottom line, it's called making the best with group you have. When you have a lack of talent and a grossly undersized starting lineup, you will be forced to play uptempo. Adelman's Portland teams were great defensively lol

6. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

True words.

7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

so you are saying it yourself it was because we had a freaking 7 foot 6 dude playing?
    :rolleyes:

so you are basically saying it was not because of adelman LOL.

come on.

Adelman had love kmart rubio and a decent rest of team and couldn't get it done AGAIN. I think adelman is way better than many coaches and I enjoyed his offense but ..come on.

Only on clutch fans where an over 50 win coach in mchale is mcfail ,and only on clutchfans where adelman is a defensive guru.

next thing clutchfans will tell me that hitler was a pacifist and helen of troy was ugly.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So really it is all about championships to you. Spoelstra lucked out by being on a team with a legendary GM, in South Beach that has three of the best players in the game makes him a better coach than Adelman, Karl, Nelson and Sloan.

I'm not taking anything away from Spoelstra. The guy is a smart and savvy but I bet even he would say Adelman and those other guys are better coaches than him.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At the same time some of the anti-Adelman stuff if ridiculous also.

Really a 1,000 + winning coach whose been to two championships, several conference finals, is almost universally praised by players and other coaches is nothing but an Offensive cooridinator?

I will lay money on Adelman being in the HOF.

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Adelman would have been better than D'Antoni, but (a) who wouldn't be and (b) not by a wide margin. Adelman would have been a bad fit for that roster for several of the same reasons - he likes pulling his bigs away from the post (Pau), he's not fantastic coaching up defense, and his offense is better fitted for younger players that will cut and pass.

What that Laker team needed was a coach that could ride a couple of primary options and get the roster to give a damn on D.

They should have put their mega-dollar TV deal to use and made JVG a godfather offer.

11. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Love, Rubio, Martin and the rest a decent team? Lmao. Rubio & Martin are themselves decent at best (especially Rubio). The rest of team is nothing special. Love is the only star power they have yet you guys act like Minnesota's championship caliber lol. That team healthy was at best 8th seed material. Injuries destroyed their chances. The difference between Adelman & other great coaches of his caliber, is he's the only one that would've even entertained coaching for that miserable organization.

Stop trying to oversell Minnesota to make RA look bad. The hatred for this man seems so deep rooted

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Every team has injuries. The Suns above them had their 2nd best player out for 1/3 of the season. Also, if Minnesota's upside is the 8th seed, and they get the 10th seed, doesn't that imply Adelman has at best neutral effect on the team?

If a great coach is capable of making his team a lot better, then technically speaking the Wolves should be reaching or going beyond their potential, right? Yet they fell below teams like Dallas or Phoenix who most people felt had lesser talent going in.

13. Zergling

Zergling Member

What was Kevin Love's relationship with Adelman? If he's not a fan of this, it may further open the exit door.

14. Nook

Nook Member

All about championships? No, but they are very important. As far as Spoel's is concerned, he was terrible against Dallas in the Finals. He was out coached and out classed. He failed to adjust and ran a simplistic system. However in the three years since then, his adjustments have been excellent, and their offensive system is probably the best system in the NBA. He has kept players with big egos on the same page.

Simply stated he has improved a great deal. I don't think longevity necessarily equates to greatness. Coaches like Spol and Carlisle are already better than Adelman and Karl.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Adelman is a legitimate NBA HC, a very good one in fact.

He will make the HOF, in large part to being a good but not great coach for 30 years.

16. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Because it's such a difficult job to get the best record in a long long long time with this Rocket team. Mchale isn't that bad. But he is nowhere near championship calibre and won't lead us to a title.

17. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

One step closer from bringing some Love to our team.

18. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I've said it before and have said it again, as a Timberwolves fan who has watched many games this year there is no one place to put the blame. The team is just extremely flawed, both offensively and defensively. Theres and a reason they are first in 1st quarter scoring and so bad down the stretch in close games.

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

This line of reasoning is fallible.

Signed,

[​IMG]

20. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I will say that one of Adelman's greatest flaws this year has been his bench rotation. Our bench was weak this year, no doubt, but the rotations were just brutal. Basically any time Love wasn't on the floor the other team would go on a big run. I don't remember how the Rockets rotations were pre-McHale, so it could just be a personnel problem?

That, and the offense down the stretch was just horrible. It is kind of hard to score when Brewer is basically useless in outside of transition, Rubio is basically useless shooting and scoring wise, and Kevin Martin disappears in the 4th quarter. Again, I don't know if this is a personnel issue or just bad coaching.