1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some Muslims outraged that Swiss airline refers to its own logo in marketing campaign

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Oct 22, 2012.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Swiss makes Muslims cross over billboard ads

[​IMG]

Swiss International Air Lines is raising hackles among Muslims over a slogan used in a recent German-language publicity campaign.

Alluding to its logo, taken from Switzerland’s national flag, the slogan says in German, “Kreuz ist Trumpf”, literally, the “cross is trumps”, or the “cross is a plus”.

The words are used in a billboard campaign, launched within the country last month, that highlights the white cross on the back of one of its planes.

Muslims in Switzerland have responded negatively to the advertising, which they believe promotes Christianity over other religions.

In Swiss internet forums, Islamists complain that Swiss makes reference to the “cross” and not the “Swiss cross”, Der Sonntag newspaper reported.

The issue has been picked up by newspapers in several Muslim countries.

Turkish journalist Cemil Baysal said he is not surprised by the angry response to the campaign which comes on the heels of the emotional reaction by Muslims globally to the American film “Innocence of Muslims”.

The anti-Islamic film touched off violent protests across North Africa and the Middle East.

“Many Muslims feel this Christian slogan (of Swiss) is a provocation and an assault against Islam,” Baysal told Der Sonntag.

Swiss maintains that its ad campaign does not carry any religious or political message.

The slogan is, in fact, a play on words, referring to “trumps” in Jass, the popular card game that is strongly rooted in Switzerland, airline spokeswoman Myriam Ziesack told Sonntag.

She said it was unfortunate that the billboard advertising appeared at the same time as the anti-Muhammad American film surfaced on the Internet.

“We didn’t intend to make any religious or political statement with this advertising message,” Ziesack said.

“However, should the religious feelings of others have been hurt by others, we regret that very much.”

http://www.thelocal.ch/page/view/swiss-makes-muslims-cross-over-billboard-ads

2. Dei

Dei Member

**** them. There. That's what I think.

3. bucket

bucket Member

That's it?

Get a life, damn.

1 person likes this.
  4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yes, I say enough as well.

1 person likes this.
  5. JD88

JD88 Member

Do I need to post the 'behead those who insult Islam' picture?

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

To the constantly outraged Muslims who are an embarrassment to the majority of reasonable Muslims. Good, CometsWin - you are learning. But please stay on topic. Thank you.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Muslims in Europe have to be the most ungrateful immigrants ever. They immigrate there to leech off the generous social services and then groan, moan and cause trouble over crap like this.

1 person likes this.
  8. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

The slogan "Kreuz ist Trumpf" literally means "The cross is an advantage", or "clubs are trumps" a term from jass, a traditional card game. Unfortunately some are unable to make the connection and immediately cry victimisation, bigotry and racism. ( what race is Islam by the way?) This is what happens when you don't assimilate or try to get to know the culture of the country that has accepted you graciously into its borders.

Jews aren't outraged when Paul Hogan says 'Throw another shrimp on the barbie (that's Australian for BBQ)’, but a Muslim will get upset (outraged even) if you ask for bacon on your KFC zinger burger...

I will embed later, can't embed from iPad...

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=io_HLVYN37s&desktop_uri=/watch?v=io_HLVYN37s&gl=GB

Here are a few famous Swiss companies that have folded under the Islamic pressure and become 'sharia compliant.'

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Give an inch, and some will want it all.

9. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

It sounds more like self-censorship in order to make sales, which any good capitalist would do. I certainly tailor my own ads to appeal to local culture. I ran an ad for a game in Germany depicting scantily clad women and drunk pirates and obviously wouldn't waste my money or time running the same ads in Malaysia.

At the same time, clearly many Saudis want the "real" Swiss Army knives and Swatches. I'm also sure the average Malaysian gamer wants to see the funny images of drunk pirates, but what can you do?

I've recently been running ads to promote my own album and picked up a large number of muslim fans, at first in Israel and France. Due to the nature of Facebook, that spread (presumably to friends and family) all over North Africa and the Middle East. It was pretty strange to go through and find I had fans in places like Iraq and Lebanon and Algeria and even Indonesia, but I also think it's pretty cool that no one gives a damn that the band is from Israel and an audience I never thought I would have is buying the album.

But I don't see anything offensive about the airlines ad. As an advertising guy, I don't don't see how any company should have to defend referring to their own branding to sell themselves, especially a domestic campaign.

1 person likes this.
  10. David Stern

David Stern Member

We don't agree on much...but it's hard to argue in this case.

11. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Bigtexxx, why do you have to generalize everything. Ofcourse this is pathetic, but again it is not that all muslims in europe are like this. But that might be difficult for you to understand.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Money is King!!!!

13. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

What do you play?

14. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

I think you should post some t*tties instead.

15. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

"Some Muslims outraged that Swiss airline refers to its own logo in marketing campaign"

ATW, what would be the ideal result of your incessant posting of these types of stories?

1 person likes this.
  16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So are Islamist protest over this just from some internet forums, or is there a larger campaign emerging against it?

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Tough luck Swiss people. Maybe they shouldn't have taken a **** on Muslims by banning something as benign as MINARETS.

But if the Swiss businesses want that Muslim $$$, and BELIEVE ME Swiss Banking wants that Muslim $$$, then they will comply. If Swiss people don't like the pursuit of arbitrary self-interest, they should look into the mirror and ask themselves what they expected when they were whining about Muslims taking on the host culture.

Guess what? Muslim immigrants are going to do whatever is withing the boundaries of the law for their own benefit. Anything, no matter how many Swiss people don't like it. Because this is the message they received. That Switzerland is a country where people are free to pursue their self-interest however they wish as long as it can be shown to be legal.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Kind of petty, isn't it?

(article on minaret ban)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/30/world/europe/30swiss.html?_r=0

1 person likes this.
  19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I always thought Swiss companies using the cross as a logo was a bad marketing choice.

1 person likes this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

According to the articles I read about it in German, there is a larger campaign going on.