1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RealGM NBA Rankings 8/15. Rockets #5

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by apostolic3, Aug 15, 2005.

1. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

The RealGM.com Team Rankings For The Week Of August 15th
    15th August, 2005 - 5:54 pm

By Patrick J. Austin

1.)San Antonio Spurs

They re-signed Robert "big shot" Horry and brought over a promising foreign center in Fabricio Oberto. No key pieces have been lost, so expect them to make another run for the championship next season.

2.)Miami Heat

Miami is officially re-loaded. Trading Eddie Jones and spare parts for Jason Williams, James Posey, and Antoine Walker is a real steal for Pat Riley. Some say the chemistry will be damaged and Williams/Walker won’t fit into the team concept. Those are valid concerns, but you can’t question the return on value. Dealing one starter and getting back three is amazing. In addition, they locked up Shaq for the next five years at a hefty cost of one hundred million dollars. Though, it could have cost them a lot more. Unless the injury bug bites, this team should be the best in the East.

3.) Detroit Pistons

This is another team that hasn’t made many changes in player personnel. They lost Larry Brown but hired a great replacement in Flip Saunders. What Larry did with this team was amazing and Flip certainly has some big shoes to fill.

4.) Dallas Mavericks

They signed Doug Christie, who should help them on the defensive end. The roster is stacked with talent and is a lock to win fifty or more games

5.) Houston Rockets

Signing Stromile Swift was a fantastic move by the Rockets.His athleticism and shot blocking abilities are exactly what they needed at the power forward position. They’ve re-signed Jon Barry and are close to re-upping Dikembe Mutombo. Both are key components to their second unit. Though, they still need a steady, pass-first point guard.

6.) Phoenix Suns

Losing Joe Johnson is going to hurt. Dealing away Quentin Richardson and the rights to Nate Robinson for Kurt Thomas could backfire big time. Though, Thomas will provide some much needed lowpost defense and signing Raja Bell will help their perimeter D. The Suns will still be competitive, but don’t expect 62-20 again.

7.) Indiana Pacers

Sarunas Jasikevicius is going to help Indiana in the shooting department, but will his big ego accept a smaller role with an NBA team? Now that Reggie Miller is gone, the franchise really needs Jermaine O’Neal to step up and become the locker room leader.

8.) Sacramento Kings

They lost Cuttino Mobley but traded for a quality replacement in Bonzi Wells. They recently went out and signed the consistent Shareef Abdur-Rahim to a bargain basement contract. Injuries could once again prove to be an issue, but on paper, Sacto is looking pretty good.

9.) Denver Nuggets

They’ve stayed relatively quiet this offseason. Drafting Julius Hodge will help them immensely in the backcourt. If they can sign Michael Finley (if he’s waived) then Denver will be very competitive

10.).New Jersey Nets

The Nets passed on Shareef, but acquired a solid big man in Marc Jackson via trade. In order for Jersey to be a serious threat in the East, Kidd and RJ have to stay healthy.

11.) Chicago Bulls

It looks like they’ll wind up keeping both Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler (at least through next season). Paxson has been playing hardball with both and it seems to be working. This team should be even better next year as their young talent continues to mature.

12.) Philadelphia 76ers

Billy King was true to his word. He re-signed all of his key free agents—Dalembert, Green, and Korver. They dealt away Marc Jackson but replaced him with the younger Steven Hunter. If Chris Webber can stay healthy, then Philly should be back in the playoff picture.

13.) Los Angeles Lakers

Re-hiring Phil Jackson will definitely get them back into playoff contention. The Kwame trade was surprising and very risky. He could bust out and become a new Jermaine O’Neal. Or, he could continue to wallow in mediocrity.

14.) Washington Wizards

Losing Larry Hughes will hurt, but they signed a decent replacement in Antonio Daniels. In addition, they received optimal value for Kwame Brown in Caron Butler and Chucky Atkins. I expect this team to remain a playoff threat in the East.

15.) Cleveland Cavaliers

Kudos to Danny Ferry for making such an immediate impact. He certainly didn’t drag his feet when it came to free agent signings. Landing both Larry Hughes and Donyell Marshall will give LeBron the offensive help he so desperately needed. Re-signing Ilgauskas was smart, since he’s one of the few true centers left in the game. Of course, they still need a consistent 3-point shooter.

16.) Minnesota Timerwolves

They dealt away Sam Cassell and a first round pick in exchange for Marko Jaric and Lionel Chalmers. Jaric is an intriguing player, but each season he’s played in less and less games. They’re a threat to make the playoffs, but I don’t see this team returning to serious title contention anytime soon.

17.)New York Knicks

You have to give credit to Zeke for landing Larry Brown. That move alone will put NY back into the playoff picture, especially in the weak Atlantic.

18.) Utah Jazz

Drafting Deron Williams will help them get back to respectability sooner rather than later. Trading Raul Lopez, Kirk Snyder, and Curtis Borchardt for Greg Ostertag was just plain dumb. Of course, they still have Sloan at the helm and if AK47 can stay healthy, they should be competitive.

19.) Seattle Supersonics

Re-signing Ray was good, but losing Nate McMillan, Antonio Daniels, and Jerome James will hurt big time.

20.)Boston Celtics

Drafting Gerald Green at 18 was an absolute steal, though he’s still two years away from consistent production. They dealt Antoine Walker and got back some value, but not much. This team is loaded with youth and could struggle.

21.) Golden State Warriors

This team is going to surprise many next season. Everyone just needs to stay healthy.

22.) Memphis Grizzlies

They’ve replaced Jason Williams, James Posey, and Bonzi Wells with Damon Stoudamire, Eddie Jones, and Bobby Jackson. That’s not really improvement.

23.) Milwaukee Bucks

Re-signing Michael Redd was great, but is he really worth 90 million dollars? Drafting Andrew Bogut will help them immediately in the frontcourt. Signing Bobby Simmons to a massive contract was surprising. They needed a productive power forward more than another small forward.

24.) Orlando Magic

Dwight Howard continues to impress me. I expect a breakout season from him. Though, taking Fran Vasquez over the likes of Sean May, Danny Granger, and Gerald Green will haunt this franchise for years—bank on that

25.) Portland Trailblazers

Hiring Nate McMillan was a fantastic move, but this team is very young and it will take time for all the pieces to fit together.

26.) Los Angeles Clippers

They lost Bobby Simmons, which will hurt them defensively. To counteract the loss, they signed Cuttino Mobley. He’s a good scorer and decent defender. They received great value for Marko Jaric in the form of Sam Cassell and a future first round pick. But you have to wonder if Cassell will accept playing for a team like the Clippers.

27.) Toronto Raptors

They had a puzzling draft and haven’t done much in free agency. I expect more of the same out of this team (i.e. mediocrity).

28.) Charlotte Bobcats

Drafting Ray Felton and Sean May will provide immediate results. This team won’t make the playoffs, but they’ll certainly play hard each and every night.

29.) New Orleans Hornets

They haven’t done much with their cap space. Though, drafting Chris Paul with the fourth pick was a great move. But expect another lottery season from this rebuilding team.

30.) Atlanta Hawks

What a mess. A roster filled with shooting guards and small forwards; no real center or point guard; and an ownership group in disarray.

2. bfunw

bfunw Contributing Member

WHATTT?????

3. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

It sucks that the top 3 teams in the West might all be from the same division.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If we are fortunate enough to sign Finley, we immediately jump up to 2 or 3 at the worst. Then with one more trade for a good PG, we should be ready to fly.

5. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Toughest division in the NBA by far. Texas triangle is going to be like the Bermuda triangle for teams who visit Texas. Memphis should be OK and New Orleans might be improved

6. superden

superden Contributing Member

whatever, i like the rockets being behind the mavs. i can care less, it will make our wins so much more sweeter.

7. Man

Man Contributing Member

AGree with the guy who posted before me...Rockets will be out to prove they are good. :) We are gonna beat the Mavs next season. Texas rivalries!!! :p

Anyways a good roster would be...
    Yao/Deke
    Stro/Howard/Baker
    Tmac/Demarr Johnson/Bowen
    Finley/Barry
    Jay Williams/James/Head/Mooch/Ward

8. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

The Rox + Swift are definitely better than the Mavs - Finley + Christie. We are the 2nd best team in Texas and I don't think we are done, CD start working those phones and do some horse trading.

9. haven

haven Member

I wouldn't place the Rockets over the Mavs for the reason that we haven't solved the problem we ran into against the Mavs in game 7 of that series. We still lack perimeter quickness, unless anyone really believes Luther Head will change that next year.

10. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I agree with the Rankings. except i think the clippers are gonna be better, so are the Warriors. the nuggets wil finish higher then the kings also.

11. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

His WC rankings are:

1.)San Antonio Spurs
    2.) Dallas Mavericks
    3.) Houston Rockets
    4.) Phoenix Suns
    5.) Sacramento Kings
    6.) Denver Nuggets
    7.) Los Angeles Lakers
    8.) Minnesota Timerwolves
    9.) Utah Jazz
    10.) Seattle Supersonics
    11.) Golden State Warriors
    12.) Memphis Grizzlies
    13.) Portland Trailblazers
    14.) Los Angeles Clippers
    15.) New Orleans Hornets

My predicted order of playoff seedings:
    1 Spurs (Obvious)
    2 Rockets (CD isn't done yet)
    3 Mavs (if Avery doesn't lose the team sometime during the year)
    4 Kings (Pacific Division winners)
    5 Nuggets (Northwest Division winner, easily)
    6 Suns (D'Antoni gets exposed. They could fall further)
    7 Warriors (Only injuries or their coach can keep them from playoffs)
    8 Clippers (No excuses. They SHOULD make the playoffs)

I think the battle for the top seed will be very close. I'm assuming the Rockets will be able to minimize the losses to bottom feeders and pass Dallas. The Nuggets are dangerous and could finish much higher.

Don't count the Lakers or Sonics out if the Warriors or Clippers fail to perform. I don't see why people expect the Jazz to do that well. The T-Wolves will not rebound, McHale will get the blame.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Dallas #4? Is this a fantasy basketball site?

apostolic3-The records might work out like that, but if the Spurs win the division, the best we can be seeded is 4.

13. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

My bad. I ranked the teams by record.

14. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did that writer actually use "Doug Christie" and "help" in the same sentence?

If he "helps" the Mavs with his defense during our playoff series against them (likely will happen again), then we don't need to add anyone else.

15. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

PHoenix should replace Mavz in the fourth. Or Phoenix 5 and Rox 4th. That should be it.

16. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dallas still sucks.

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah? And if the Rockets merely play as well as they did in the second 2/3 of last season, they'll win 59-60 games. Not a guess, mind you -- that's based on their winning percentage over that span last year.

Muck the Favs. I can't wait to see them go down in flames. :mad:

18. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

I don't know why everyon is so worked up over what we didn't fix in the offseason. The reason we are going to beat Dallas next year has nothing to do with any acquistion we make this year and everything to do with Dallas adding a key piece. I think everyone's forgetting that Keith van Horn was hurt during the four games the Mavs won. As soon as KVH went down with the sprained ankle in game 3, my buddy Eric turned to me and said "that ain't good at all, van Horn has been sucking it up and they might actually put a decent player on the court." Once KVH went down, Mavs go 4-1 vs. the Rocks, full blown Ewing Theory in effect. Mark my words, with a healthy Keith van Horn returning to the line up for the Mavs, they will easily lose to the Rocks in 5 or 6. I'm calling my shot right now, put it down for the classic posts section, if KVH plays we roll over the Mavs.

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Let's not forget how 3 of the 4 games the Mavs won against the Rockets in that series had Michael Finley going off(and stripping Jon Barry from out-of-bounds). He's gone now and Doug Christie is not gonna make up for his absence.

20. micah1j

micah1j Member

Actually the seedings would fall like this because each division winner gets a top 3 seed:
    1 Spurs
    2 Kings
    3 Nuggets
    4 Rockets
    5 Mavs
    6 Suns
    7 Warriors
    8 Clippers