1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ugh] Derek Newton named starting RT

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Cannonball, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I guess it's to be expected with Quessenberry dealing with Lymphoma and Brennan Williams still not practicing. But still.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...erek-newton-starting-right-tackle/#23724101=0

I heard some of OB's comments on the radio. Tania Ganguli was bringing up how much Newton has sucked the last 2 years and OB's response was that he wasn't here last year but that Newton has been playing well in his system. He brought up "his system" twice, maybe trying to sell that while Newton sucked in the ZBS, he might be better in a more traditional sceme.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I hope he's put in a lot of work, and they can make a dependable player out of him.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully having Fiedorowicz will help that situation, he's a really good blocker and I think they use him on the right side to help whoever is in at tackle.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I never expected him to be cut, not terribly surprised to see him retain his job. That said, I suspect this will be his last season in Houston unless he improves dramatically.

He was badly exposed without a guy like Dreessen to hide him. He didn't look like a natural fit in Kubiak's ZBS, either - struck me as lacking quickness and instincts in space. If O'Brien is going to implement a more traditional smashmouth run game, I think he'll do a little better. Hopefully Fiedorowicz represents an upgrade in blocking from the TE position as well.

For whatever else he's lacking, Newton does have good size and strength for a RT.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Wait... I thought every week was a competition. I thought these guys (especially the ****ty ones) needed to earn their playing time in practice? What is this ****?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, the main contender for taking the RT spot has cancer and Brennan Williams is coming off of microfracture surgery. Odds are Newton is winning the spot in practice sadly enough. The other 4 spots on the line should be fairly strong and he'll be able to get help from a legit blocking TE, hopefully the one weak spot won't be killer.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Mike Meltzer said on the radio today that the word that they've heard from inside the team is that the coaching staff (O'Brien specifically) feels like Newton has been poorly coached.

We'll see I guess.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Always funny when I hear that statement . . .
    cause I think in some cases it is true
    some guys are out of the league . .. .not because they lack skill
    but because their coaches did not properly coach and utilize them

Rocket River

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

Likely true of MANY players on the roster.

10. Remii

Remii Member

No surprise. And it was no guarantee that Q-Berry and Williams would have been better. But maybe they will pick up a veteran free agent.

And I believe ZBS mostly refers to the running game... Pass blocking is pass blocking no matter what system they run.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Fat Predator shall rise again!

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

he was going to start even with QBerry healthy. from everything i heard, the new staff likes the guy

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It's not like that's totally out of the realm of possibility.

Like a lot of others here, I think a lot of our problems last year were a result of poor coaching.

14. Granville

Granville Member

BOB hasn't watched tape on Newton. ZBS has nothing to do with mofos straight up running by that clown wen pass blocking 1 0n 1.

15. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I just feel sorry for the QB's. Those poor innocent QB's. They don't deserve this.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Does not pass the sniff test.

The simplest explanation is that Newton plays like a 7th round draft pick that he is.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Didn't we hear this when Wade took over the defense? Then two years later it we realized that crappy players are just crappy.

Either way, it's not like the Texans had money to upgrade the position.

18. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Didn't expect anything different

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

You can quote Obrien saying Newton has improved.. so we'll see how his credibility can be trusted.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

Has any other starting position been filled. If so, I haven't heard of any. Why announce one of the worst players on the team?