1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is what I hate about players - Exibit A: Prince Fielder.

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by what, Sep 24, 2011.

1. what

what Member

The guy recently said that he is not coming back to Milwaukee after he has energized the brewers fans for the first time in over 20 years. He and ryan braun have chemistry, but fielder feels that Milwaukee isn't where he wants to be. This to me is what's wrong with sports, especially professional sports.

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I hadn't heard the comments, but he said "probably" wouldn't be returning.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...er.brewers/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a2

Stupid comments to make right now before the playoffs... bad time to be brutally honest, but he'll likely get more money from one of the big spenders (guess he already turned down 5 years, $100 million from MIL). I agree it is a shame though because he and Braun are a hell of a 1-2 punch... and they're both just 27 years old.

3. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Yeah, fielder is an idiot for making these comments before the post-season. Even if you're asked to answer the question, do it diplomatically.

4. what

what Member

Yeah. If Baseball wants to fix the sport, the first thing it needs to do is to make it a whole lot harder for a fielder-braun duo to be broken up. Having fielder go to a random team makes the last 5 years that this duo has been branding themselves a huge waste of time, and it makes it difficult for any causal fan to figure a team out.

Baseball has largely become an arms race between the yankees and the red sox, with a sprinkle of the phillies for good measure.

The decision to appease to the yankees and red sox in the current system I think killed baseball. I mean it is a great tradition, but there are 28 more teams in baseball. The braun-fielder thing is just bad for baseball in my opinion.

5. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I don't understand why people hold athletes to a higher standard than they do themselves. If any one of us were working for Company A and Company B came along and offered a huge raise and the opportunity to work in a city that we preferred, how many would say, "No thanks, I've developed a great chemistry with Larry in Accounting and I don't feel it would be fair to Company A to leave."?

But that's what we expect from our pro athletes.

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

How can you say that when you have no idea why he doesn't want to be in Milwaukee?

7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

He doesn't want to stay in Milwaukee because there's almost no chance they'll pay him what he's going to be worth on the open market. Anyone who follows baseball has known this for a while, it's a non-story.

8. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

hating a player for doing exactly what any one of us would do? not hypocritical at all. :rolleyes:

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

he shouldn't have went public with this.

The correct answer to the question would be

"I'm not concerned about that right now, right now my main concern is the Playoffs and doing some damage and hopefully winning the World Series with the Brewers, when free agency comes I'll weigh my options"

10. dharocks

Why? What difference does it make? It clearly hasn't affected the team's performance in any way.

Players who speak the truth rather than cliches are way more interesting than Derek Jeter-bots.

11. what

what Member

If it was all about money, I would agree with you. I should have actually worded it differently. I am not faulting a player for getting what he gets. I do however believe that major league baseball can and SHOULD design a system of free agency which promotes players staying put with the original team which drafted him. Making all things equal.

This is less about Prince Fielder and more about the system and the people who benefit from it, namely The yankees, the Red Sox and Scott Boras.

12. dharocks

Players have to stay with their original team for 6 full years on the Major League roster, plus however long it takes them to get through the minors. How much longer should they have to stay??

13. what

what Member

As long as the original team pays the salary required. Jumping to another market regardless of salary demands hurts the sport.

You are looking at this all wrong. You keep trying to probe a way that somehow the player is getting slighted.

My point is that there is a way in which major league baseball can take money out of the equation altogether and which doesn't limit what fielder (and more importantly boras) can make, and still allow the original team to keep the player.