1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Rafer Alston do a good job at running the offense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tracyyao01, Sep 26, 2007.

?

did rafer alston run the offense last season?

1. yes

64.2%
  2. no

35.8%
  1. tracyyao01

tracyyao01 Member

i would say so. However I would like it if Alston was the primary playmaker. He was in the Raptors and did a great job.

I just hope rafer stays for next season.

2. SLrocket

SLrocket Contributing Member

yes i believe he did a wonderful job considering he was playing WAY more minutes due to gundy's lovefest with him and that he was the only competent PG on the roster. not to mention he had the burden of being the 3rd scorer

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What offense?

4. daRox

daRox Member

Rafer did a fantastic job of running our offense, albeit it was a horrible offense to begin with. But running the offense isn't the only job you can do and be a successful in the NBA. You need to play great defense and hit open shots (two things that Rafer did horrible last season). I do hope he'll stay. I guess the reason he didn't play well was because he played too much. There was no one else that could help out (and please save the Billy argument for another thread). I say keep Rafer.

5. tracyyao01

tracyyao01 Member

i'm pretty sure the people who think alston doesn't run the offense think McGrady does because he leads the team in assists.

6. liangqj

liangqj Member

Yes, that is fact.

Alston is 2nd in assists in Rockets last season.

The thing alston done is run the ball to front-court.

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

LOL! That is the first thing that came to my head. What offense?

Damn I can't wait for this season to start! Finally this team will have some offense after four years of Dundy and Reefer ball.

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I know everybody is entitled to their own opinions, but anybody who would want Reefer on their team knows jack about basketball and is a moron.

9. matty101

matty101 Member

Alston didn't run the offense very well but we didnt have any offense! He did his job though and that was to advance the ball and get it to Tmac up top. From there it was basically a 1-2 game with Yao. So Yes rafer did do his job in the offense however he didnt really have much to do. IMO i think he deserves a chance to at least show his stuff in Adelmen's offense.

10. tracyyao01

tracyyao01 Member

It would depend on your system. If you needed a pass-first PG you would take Rafer to run your offense and make the plays. (04-05 Raptors).

11. tracyyao01

tracyyao01 Member

actually his job was also to hand it to Yao and let Yao do everything.

Rafer was the man running the show.

12. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

hhaha you beat me to it

what do you mean by running the offense? you mean when he brings up the ball and gives it to Tmac at the three point line......yao sets the pick for tmac and tmac makes a play. Yeah he did a good job by giving the ball to mcgrady and getting out of the way

or by bricking threes?
    yeah he did a good job thowing up bricks too.

13. Nice Rollin

how about if you need a PG who can make open shots? like we do....then what?

14. tracyyao01

tracyyao01 Member

that was Luther Head. He was the guy who was a scoring PG the problem with him was he couldn't create for himself.

That was the combo between Alston and Head

Alston = Playmaker
    Head = Scorer

15. Nice Rollin

Wait. Alston shoots the rock about 11 times a game (problem #1)
    10 of those 11 shots are threes (problem #2)
    10 of those are WIDE OPEN THREES...and he misses them. Part of Rafer's job description involves making an open shot.

Playmaker? When is the last time Rafer made a play? When's the last time he beat his man, got into the paint and made the defense converge?

And luther head is not a PG...dont compare him to Rafer cuz he doesnt get 35+ minutes a game.

16. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

rafer would be a high quality backup. He's definitely the best 3rd string pg in the nba now.

17. tracyyao01

tracyyao01 Member

he did a lot of those in toronto and he does do that in Houston. When t_mac is on the bench. Rafer becames the primary playmaker that was the problem with the team. If it was rafer's job to be the primary playmaker and not just run the offense i think houston would've gotten out of the 1st round. It was more of a JVG problem then it was a player problem.

18. Nice Rollin

If Rafer was ever a playmaker, trust me, it wouldve been Jazz in 4 or 5. If Rafer Alston is ever a playmaker (for any team), you're in trouble...

edit: when mcgrady was on the bench, and we couldnt get Yao the ball, the offense went nowhere. why? because we didnt have a playmaker...RAFER WAS NOT AND WILL NEVER BE A PLAYMAKER...

19. tracyyao01

tracyyao01 Member

Rafer is possibly a better playmaker than T-Mac. when he was in the raptors he played 32 minutes and averaged just as many assists as McGrady.

there's no way it came from doubles. Rafer is just a playmaker i think your just Exaggerating

20. Nice Rollin

I'M DONE........
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Did Rafer Alston do a good job at running the offense? Yeah. He brought up the ball, gave it to mcgrady FAR OUT by the three point line, and went to the opposite side of the court. he was awesome at that. He did a great job.

As far as putting his teammates in the position to score. hell no. he sucked at that...when did Alston ever assist McGrady? Wasn't it alwasy the other way around. McGrady finding alston all alone on that backdoor cut for an easy layup?

whenever he did get in the lane, he threw up his famous floater. whenever he wasnt in the lane, he was at the threepoint line all by himself......i'll never forget. the game against phx. wide open three....NOTHING BUT BACKBOARD...

#20 Nice Rollin, Sep 26, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2007