1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Draft Days" = The one and only fan Scouting dream!! Because something will happen..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zacatecas, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

...wether you like it or not; we as self appointed ringside Rockets scouts get our juices flowing as to the best way to improve the Rockets. Via trade or crossing our fingers that our favorite prospect be there for the Rockets to take!

Except for those handfull of teams without draft picks; today is a day where we as fans know that our beloved Rockets will improve. And it is a day when we research and ponder as to who might fall into the Rockets lap at the 26 pick in the draft. A day we utilize to scorn and praise GM's, coaches, and owners!!!

But after my excitement over the Eddie Griffin and Terrance Morris draft, I am ever careful of putting too much stock in the popular choices presented by the National outlets of scouting so prevelant here on the world wide web!

At the 26th pick in the Draft, popular opinion is "Let's make a trade". But, we aren't at those practices and don't see what coaches and scouts see. But, I will attest to my hunches; and by gosh, that' s got to be better than any informed decision one of the Rockets Management could possibly make, Right? :D

I'm so looking forward to enjoying the Draft!!!!

2. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

Semi-related question. What does it take to become a GM? What are their salaries like? Morey seems to have gotten his job from a solid degree from MIT and working hard in entry level front office jobs. Is that the norm or is real NBA experience such as coaching, playing, or scouting preferred? On the same note, what does it take to become a scout? What are their salaries like? Just curious...

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Tis the season of hope. All things are possible and with a little luck any team could turn yearly play-off perticapents or contenders. Where would San Antonio be with out Ginobli (2nd rounder) and Parker (last pick 1st round)?

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

They would probably be in pretty good shape because they would still have Duncan and they won a title before either of those late picks came along. Shoot first point guards and energy guys off the bench are a bit easier to come by than franchise big men.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Right but the 88-89 team also had David Robinson, Sean Elliot, Avery Johnson, Steve Kerr, Mario Ellia and Antonio Daniels. That team was deep, Duncan did not win it alone, he had some very serious help on that team.

With all those guys no retired...except Daniels who is playing somewhere else...Duncan needed some draft luck in the form of Ginobli and Parker to continue with his success.

With out Ginobli and Parker, Duncan may be having the same problem that Kevin Garnet has had most of his career.