1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feel like giving up

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Downtown Sniper, Mar 17, 2013.

1. davo

davo Contributing Member

Can you stay in the army and do something else? Must be plenty of things you could do without starting over?

2. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:eek:

Don't give up, man. No Worries!

You still have lots ta live for, you have us cobbers. I won't chastise your dad or your oldies for sayin' the cat's piss, like others have already done, but I reckon he was tryin' ta light a fire under yoos as his ankle biter and I reckon it may have worked, because you're looking at your life ENTIRELY and it's about making a change, not ta be a stickybeak.

Maybe try a different stuff, Nasho is for young blokes, and you're done ta heck with it being a digger life. Do not turn ta a dipstick or bogan.

If you come ta Texas at any time from Never Never, and are in or near Houston, please look me up, mate, I will chuck a sickie if not a Cat burying shyte and I will buy you counter lunch, treat you ta one amber fluid butcher as my shout, and will catch a Rockets, Texans, or Dynamo match while we veg out or give you a roadie ta rage on, maybe crack a fat at Centerfold's Sheilas or have a Captain Cook at white pointers as wobbly's.

Sorry I yabber, mate. Please look me up, Ace! I'm your dag Mexican (not QL or NSW), sir. Stoked. ;)

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Piss off ya seppo b*stard

5. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

I just read this. Downtown Sniper, my similar experiences here with the Marine Corps have me connecting with your words. If you ever move to Texas, you have a friend here in me. Either way, if you want to hear out my story, leave me your email. I'm personally going on 10 years of serious depression and guilt. Maybe we can help each other out bro.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

find ways to tell your story in a light that gives credence to what you did over the last few years. You can say "I have nothing people want to see on a resume" or you can turn those things into everything you learned over the years. Then the key is just to get your foot in a door...just takes some time to meet people and figure out where you want to go. There are a million opportunities out there

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ijZRCIrTgQc#t=2m46s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

No homo?

9. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p_tYQRP4QWM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sadly..i chose...Do not.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CbvqGEhRssw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

(it always gets better)

Hell Just Got Cool

I've been waiting for some time for a good day in hell
    Living on the line, well I almost fell
    I tended a few bars and I mopped a few more floors
    Never had the feeling where I could ask for more
    Making like the devil's fool but let me tell you
    Hell just got cool

Broken dreams all I ever knew
    Living my own way but got busted for my views
    Every day the devil would collect his dues
    I tried to run away but I had these old shoes
    They say I'm the devil's fool but let me tell you
    Hell just got cool

Six-string slinger is what I am
    Finally got the chance to make my stand
    Ain't nobody going to stop me now
    I'm in a rock and roll band

All those years in hell are finally paying off
    All those deep depressions, well, they've just been bought
    You know it's really funny how things come around
    You've got to keep on pushing till you're off the ground
    I've always been the devil's fool but let me tell you
    Hell just got cool

11. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I've read over them a fair few times this past week.

Having had my weekend leave taken from me to watch a pile of ammunition all Saturday and Sunday - I was informed by my OC that the next 5 Medical Boards are already full.

So the closest I'm going to hear about if they're kicking me out is August. Which will put my stint in Rehab at 11 months.

I understand the people saying to hammer down a daily routine - but that's near impossible here. I'm on base from Monday to Friday. Weekends I usually have off - but since this place is in the middle of nowhere - that usual doesn't amount to much.

Unless I'm at home the only way I catch the nba is in the afternoon on my phone. We can't use the gym here. There's no computers; Internet; tvs etc. obviously those aren't essentials in life... But 11 months with nothing to do but get f***ed on (I apologise for the language) takes a toll.

I would take any job in Texas. A fresh start with new faces is probably exactly what I need. I was looking at the university pages and the jobs they had available. Found one at the University of Texas for an Administration Assistant. My previous work matched all the criteria they were looking for down to a tee.
    I assume the universities and colleges get a crazy amount of people applying for their jobs. I doubt they'd be interested in sponsoring a foreigner to come over and work for them.

I guess the reason I was looking unfavourably towards 25 is because I was comparing where my friends are at in their lives.

My best mate bought a house last year. And has a job he loves teaching kids how to play golf.
    Whereas I'd be back to living with my parents immediately following the Army punting me- until I can find a place to rent.

My brother and I had planned another trip to Texas in March 2014 with another pit stop on Houston so I could watch a few more Rockets games in person - and do something similar to what I did back in 2010
    ( http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=5902365#post5902365 +
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=194099 )

But the longer I stay in pergatory in the Army and earn basically minimum wage - that's impossible. :(

1 person likes this.
  12. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

Pray harder bro.....

#52 coolweather, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just read through this thread and I can relate to it in a few ways.

I can understand what you are going through. Like Moes in my mid 20's I went through possibly the roughest time of my life. I had moved to Boston looking for a fresh start and because I thought it might get me a better chance to get into MIT, but things go badly I find myself with almost no money, no steady work, no friends and so on. At 24 I feel like like my life is over and I honestly considered tossing myself into the icy Charles River.

What changed things for me though was the understanding of the Buddhist principle that life is about suffering and from the moment we are born we experience pain and loss. While we all suffer how much that defines our life though is largely dependent on us and how we think about our life. If we allow ourselves to be obsessed with our own pain, and also our own pleasure, that becomes our life and we feel trapped by it. If we can look beyond our own pain and accept that there is much more to existence than what we feel at any given moment we can overcome that.

What that means practically is that whatever you are feeling right now isn't going to be what you will always feel and that there is much more to life than what happens to you at 25. Also if you don't feel like you have any strength and endurance yourself remember that no one is truly alone but you are part of the lives of many many other people and existence as a whole. You can call this faith in God, Karma or whatever but if you can think beyond yourself you will find greater personal strength than just from you.

For some specific advice. First regarding your medical problems. I went through some depression a few years back regarding injury wiping out much of my ability to do what I wanted. As you can tell by my moniker I am a martial artist and about 6 years ago I blew out my shoulder in a match and that pretty much ended my competitive career. I still miss competing but my focus now is on coaching and refereeing. All the skill and knowledge that I developed now goes to benefit others and I am as proud and fulfilled to see my students doing well almost as much as I did. Also while it sucks that an injury might be keeping you from doing what you love at 25 unfortunately time will catch up with all of us. Do you think people like Hakeem Olajuwon wanted to retire? The human body can only perform at peak ability for so long and sooner or later we all have to change. Understanding and even embracing change will help you throughout your life.

Next about what your future plans are. You could come to Texas and work but keep in mind that if you haven't changed changing venues might not be any better. The one thing that you always bring with you is your own mind and thoughts. A lot of people have posted some good advice already about going back to Uni. If you are looking to make a lot of money though have you considered working in up in the mines in Western Australia? I met a lot of people in Perth who did that and they made a lot of in a short time. While the work is hard and the locations are terrible as someone who has trained in the army you can probably handle it much better than others. If you can discipline yourself and not piss away your money you could find a year from now you are flush with cash, still in your twenties and in a great position to do something else with your life.

Whatever you decide though always remember that where you are now in life isn't where you will always be.

1 person likes this.
  14. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Oh man, don't do that to yourself. It only makes it worse. Trust me, some things are known and don't need a classroom to learn...don't use the same ruler measuring your friends on yourself. While I'm a bit older and doing well now, I couldn't get my act together to save my own damn life early on. Even at 40 I was still lost without any direction. And another thing, time does drag but you'd be surprised as heck as how fast it speeds up....woosh, and now I don't have time. Chin up, bud. With the right attitude, it will only get better.