1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Astros Offseason Moves

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 19, 2014.

1. mick fry

mick fry Member

Im lookin for Springer to kill it this year and with decent pitching the Stros could be the surprise team of the league.

2. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I really think when Appel becomes the pitcher the Astros drafted (and he's taking steps forward) the Astros become contenders.

Don't see a weak spot in the lineup, starting pitching is decent and the two guys should solidify the pen a bit

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros appear to have a league average guy at every position or better...just not that much of the better at the moment. Starting pitching may decent. McHugh and Keuchel both have signs that last year was a career year and signs that they could improve on last year.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, IOW... they could be good, or they could not be good...

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Just curious, what were the signs that it was a career year?

Other than it being by far their best years yet, I didn't see anything that showed it was luck, the advanced stats (at least the ones I saw) all pointed towards legitimacy?

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Best years in a lot of stats for Keuchel and McHugh. For Keuchel, HR to flyback rate was nearly cut in half.For McHugh, velocity spiked..don't know if it is sustainable.

There are things that point to sustainable results as well, but both aren't young either.

7. ab0_bleedred

ab0_bleedred Member

Am I crazy to think we might be in the Wild Card hunt going into the last month of the season?

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It's certainly not crazy.....

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

All I ask for is meaningful September baseball.

10. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Honestly, .500+ baseball would make me happy this year. We were always looking at 2016-2017 as the competitive window opening.

11. HstnSprtsFan101

Andruw Jones making a return to the MLB..

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

not crazy, but who knows. We all thought Albers and maybe Crain would help the bullpen last year...never know what'll happen with these guys

#932 kaleidosky, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  13. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Yes, yes you are crazy for thinking that. But guess what? I'm crazy right there with you! Go Stros!!

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

but only so he can complain about Tal's Hill.

15. msn

msn Member

nice!

16. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Significant upgrades in LF, SS,The Pen, 3B, Rasmus and Fowler are pretty much a push but getting Valbuena in that deal gives the Astros a 1-9 lineup of solid too above average too extraordinary hitters.

If starting pitching can get to Gregerson, Neshek & Qualls. I can see an 85+ winning team

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We actually got great production from SS last season. Marwin had an excellent year, but nobody thinks he will be able to repeat it, Petit was also good in his time here. While Lowrie will probably be an upgrade, it won't be as big as people think.

But 2 positions are gonna be massively upgraded, 3B and wherever Gattis ends up. We could have 3 positions massively upgraded if Singleton turns it around, and we have to play Gattis or Carter in LF. Plus hopefully a full season of Springer. If Singleton does flame out, LF may still be a black hole offensively unless Marisnick or Grossman figure it out.

This club added a sneaky great amount of OPS from where we were last year even if Singleton doesn't pan out.

.586 Dominguez -> .776 Valbuena
    .550 Guzman/Hoes/Krauss -> .810 Gattis

The difference between a really good lineup and a decent lineup almost entirely hinges on Singleton IMO. He has the capability to be the power plus OBP guy that we desperately need.

18. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Marwin is 25 years old and a useful utility guy. Petit is not good, 25k to 1 walk last year is OUCH.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't see the Astros playing Gattis or Carter a lot in LF unless the OFs just fall apart. I think the Astros are trying to build a better defense and are not going to look to trade defense for offense unless it is just overwhelming help. OF defense doesn't look too shabby assuming Rasmus is in LF. I suspect the IF defense will improve a lot when Correa comes up, but it is just going to be Frankenstein's monster defense until then..whenever then is.

If Singleton plays great, I do suspect the Astros will try to trade one of 1B/DHs to upgrade another position. Right now, the Astros should get league average performance from a lot of positions.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Somewhat surprising stat of the day, Houston SSs LED the AL in OPS last season at .699.