1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David West looking to opt out

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Phillyrocket, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The future of the New Orleans Hornets has long been centered on Chris Paul(notes), but much of this season – and beyond – hinges on the contract extension talks the franchise’s front office has entered into with forward David West(notes).

New Orleans general manager Dell Demps has discussed the framework of a multiyear deal with West’s agents at Octagon, but the Hornets’ hopes of getting him signed prior to the Feb. 24 trade deadline is “not likely at all,” one source close to the talks told Yahoo! Sports.

David West can opt out of the final year of his contract and become a free agent.

More From Adrian WojnarowskiLeague holds up Mavs-Raptors trade Jan 21, 2011 No ’Melo, just more drama for Nets Jan 20, 2011
    West plans to opt out of the $7.5 million owed him in the final season of a five-year, $45 million contract and expects to command north of $10 million a season on the market, sources said.

“It’s hard to see an extension happening here,” one source said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AvdXwP8lJCdfTFNZWSzkvCs5nYcB?slug=aw-westhornets012411

Great chance for the Rockets to grab him and Okafor. Maybe for Scola, expirings, picks, and Bud and or Hill? Might be able to do this deal and still keep AB.

2. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

He cries a lot. he's got the skillset to thrive here. But I'm not sure if he's got the smarts to play a position that requires decision making. Nice jumpshot, but can he make the correct pass

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

Should be interesting to see where he ends up and for how much with the new CBA. Really says alot about West's confidence in the organiztion and what he values considering the financial insecurity he gets from doing this.

4. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I think the financial security is perspective-based. It's really unlikely that he'll fail to get an offer of greater than $7.5 total guaranteed money from someone. Even if he's forced to sign for a lower per year number under the new CBA, e.g. a 4 year $24 mil contract, that's still $16.5mil more guaranteed money over 4 years than his option.

That being said I could easily see him getting a Scola-esque 5-year $47mil contract or more. I think he's making an incredibly smart move.

If he had a high player option (>$10mil) then it would be a very questionable move.

5. Prince

Prince Member

the guy can barely walk....

6. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

He does always have a great game on this court. :p

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

You know what's funny? We're talking about the financial security of a guy who makes millions a year. I'm sure he'll do fine financially.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

What's the point of getting another soon-to-be 30 stretch 4? Scola's decent enough for that role, and West should command a salary higher than 9M a year. West isn't that big an upgrade over him to warrant us trading pieces to get him. Okafor I'm a little iffy on, he seems made of glass and tends to sit out injuries far longer than he should (ie he spent two months waiting out an injured pinky).

9. mrjuandiego1988

the guy has a 5 inch vertical!

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Haha, this.

Pretty sure he's financially secure for the rest of his life.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Spurs wanted him at one point.

12. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

anyone see his gamewinning shot tonight? He nailed an impressive tough shot.